Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow >

opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow

Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 AM

Default opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow

Hi All

im looking for opinons on a PSE Rattler Crossbow as a starter crossbow, i really want the excalibur Phoenix but i cant afford to splash out $600 at the moment, only $300 on something like the PSE Rattler.

Please can someone let me know what they think.

Cheeers

Ian
Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Default RE: opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow

Hi , if you really want an Excalibur, then get one , if you only have $300 to spend right now then save that and add to it , you should keep a look out for guys selling a Phoenix they come up all the time , from guys wanting to buy newer faster Excaliburs, the Phoenix is a very good choice and often priced very reasonable , just put the word out on this forum and on the Excalibur forum you should find a Phoenix fairly quick for a good price , i have seen lots go for around $350 to $400 quite often. I will keepan eyeout for one for you. Dave.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save the extra money for the Excal, or just be a little more persistant in looking for the Phoenix, IMO Excal is the way to go. You won't be sorry.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Save a few bucks more and you can get a Phoenix

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSSBOW-EXCALIBUR-PHOENIX-NEW-2008-175-LB_W0QQitemZ320228180736QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33972QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM

That is an awsome price , & only $14.00 in the US , Dont know where Ian lives but thats a sweet deal.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The PSE's aren't bad but the Phoenix advice is good. here's another, may be gone by now, but a good place to keep an eye out: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...ic.php?t=21216
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying I know anything about PSE crossbows, but my local pro-shop owner (who is an authorized PSE dealer) and I have had a conversation about them. He's been in business for many years and knows a lot aboutcompound bows and crossbows. I've always trusted his advice, and I've never had any problems with the results. I've found he will be truthful, and pretty well tells it like it is even if it means not making a sale! I didn't ask for details, but his advice on PSE crossbows was to avoid them! His only explanation - too many quality (safety) issues. He will not sell a PSE crossbow -but offers Excalibur, TenPoint, Horton, Barnett, and probably a few more (I've never asked).
Not my advice, but the source know his bows, so take it or leave it - your choice.
For a less expensive choice, why not the Excalibur Vixen? Not a fancy finish, no "bells & whistles", but one superbly accurate and dependable crossbow with a warranty that can't be beat!
I own & shoot a PSE recurve and a PSE compound I bought from him, but my crossbow is an Excalibur.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have had this kind of bow for almost 4 years and have yet to have any problems with them. I have shot it and compared it to a few different excalibers and mine shoots just as accuratley. I have killed deer with mine with no problems.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wabi

Not saying I know anything about PSE crossbows, but my local pro-shop owner (who is an authorized PSE dealer) and I have had a conversation about them. He's been in business for many years and knows a lot aboutcompound bows and crossbows. I've always trusted his advice, and I've never had any problems with the results. I've found he will be truthful, and pretty well tells it like it is even if it means not making a sale! I didn't ask for details, but his advice on PSE crossbows was to avoid them! His only explanation - too many quality (safety) issues. He will not sell a PSE crossbow -but offers Excalibur, TenPoint, Horton, Barnett, and probably a few more (I've never asked).
Not my advice, but the source know his bows, so take it or leave it - your choice.
For a less expensive choice, why not the Excalibur Vixen? Not a fancy finish, no "bells & whistles", but one superbly accurate and dependable crossbow with a warranty that can't be beat!
I own & shoot a PSE recurve and a PSE compound I bought from him, but my crossbow is an Excalibur.

I have never tried a PSE crossbow but I think its odd that they come with a pair of safety glasses, does any other crossbow come with them.

PSE VIPER RATTLER CROSSBOW PACKAGE 165LBS Never Been Used Still In Case
Details

[ul][*][align=center]Limbs: Compression molded glass [/align][*][align=center]Stock: Anodized machined aluminum [/align][*][align=center]Color: Camo [/align][*][align=center]Physical Weight: 7.8 lbs. [/align][*][align=center]Overall Length: 36" [/align][*][align=center]Overall Width: 28" [/align][*][align=center]Recommended Bolt: 17" (2216) [/align][/ul]
Other features:
[ul][*][align=center]165 lb. draw weight [/align][*][align=center]Fully coated foot stirrup [/align][*][align=center]Film dipped camo finish [/align][*][align=center]Synthetic cable and string harness [/align][*][align=center]Adjustable fore-end [/align][*][align=center]Thumbhole grip [/align][*][align=center]7/8" slotted metal scope rail [/align][*][align=center]Automatic safety engages when cocked [/align][/ul]
Package includes:
[ul][*][align=center]3-Dot Red Dot scope [/align][*][align=center]6-arrow Quick Detach quiver [/align][*][align=center]Black padded sling [/align][*][align=center]4 crossbow bolts with 100 gr points [/align][*][align=center]Safety glasses [/align][/ul]

[hr]

Martin
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

no, no one else includes safety glasses, but I personaly would have worded it as "shooting glasses". I am sure this was not their intent, but my first thought was "how bad is this thing that it requires safety glasses??" Purely from a marketing standpoint, I think "shooting glasses" would have been a better thought...

Wyvern

Quick Reply: opinions on PSE Rattler Crossbow as a 1st Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.