Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What's your take on the subject >

What's your take on the subject

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What's your take on the subject

Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default What's your take on the subject

Please check out the following Field Journal Post and share your thoughts with me either in a PM or a reply in the post. Thank you.

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=857
Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your take on the subject

Ummmm
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

In Dan's defense, he had a long weekendhelping Michigan residents sign a petitionto loosen crossbow laws. It went well, but it was a looonnnng ride home.
Randy
Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

We are only Human..............
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have another take on the defense of DJH. I read that journal enrty several times now, and from my grasp, he only called the fanatics that want to take xbows out of the picture the "Dark Side". Look at Pope and Young for example. Reported to have 7700 members. I believe I've read there are something like 3 million bow hunters in the USA. Round that 7700 up to 10,000 because I have poor math skills, lol and you have something like one P&Y member for every 300 bow hunters. They call us the biggest threat to bow hunting? Hmmm, must have some DARK motives on their Side!

Hey, don't like em? don't use em. Vote against them if that's the way you feel after repeatedly being shown harvest stats are the same between them and compounds and in no state of the 13 where they are legal for all or part of archery season has any season been shortened or bag limit reduced because of xbow harvest.

The Dark Side has long needed the light of truth and reason shown on it, DJH is just holding the lantern, imho.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,I do dislike the rhetoric used - by the writer and others like him - when referring to crossbow opponents. Anti-hunters? Dark Side?Who reallythinks pissing them off with these kinds of insultswill make them more inclined to abandon the fight, shake hands and welcomecrossbow userswith open arms?Believe me on this because I spent many years on that side of the issue. It's just adding fuel to the fire, polarizing the opposition and turning off potential supporters. Absolutely stupid.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM

There is two things that work against the use of the CB. One is not the limited number of deer, Ohio's deer herd is growing every year and producing record book bucks. So a good DNR is key to your deer, Ohio has the best DNR IMO. It's the fact of how hard it has become to to find someone willing to let you hunt there land. I think the compound was mainly accepted because guys knew in there heart they would still be able to hunt and find new places to hunt. In this day and age the states that do not allow the use of the CB the hunters are scared to death of the competition that they think it will bring for more hunting ground. In Ohio and AR we are blessed and know the truth, but these fellow hunters do not and are getting more info from the Groups trying to stop the CB then the groups supporting it.

The other is the bow makers know that the passing of new CB laws is like watching parts of the body falling off, it is hard to do. The allowable use of the CB is a direct loss of sales and in any business that is a bad thing, and any business owner in there right mind would do everything to stop it, we would do it if it was us. What can help this is the bow makers making the switch. Bow Tech is one of the latest examples of this. Once they are set up for a slice of the pie to make the money, the wall will fall so fast we will not even be able to watch.

I have tried real hard, sometimes better then others to not slam my fellow hunters, they are being told untruths about the CB and what it will do to the deer. I live in a different world, in Ohio I do not face the battle that others face. But in a state where you have been pumped about what the CB will do to the deer is something that will be hard to reverse in peoples mind.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like there a few hard-core fanatics on both sides of the argument (yes Daniel - I'm calling you a fanatic, but not in an offensive tone I hope, because I'm probably one, too!) that will debate the small details forever and remain unwilling to concede the opposing minority is really not the problem in getting legislation enacted.
The problem is the SILENT majority!
Usually public hearings are held, and there are a few VERY PRO, and a few VERY ANTI individuals who band together and each factor claims to represent the MAJORITY?????
Therein lies the problem! There needs to be some way to get the SILENT majority, who really could care less what you launch an arrow with, to speak out! I don't have facts & figures, but I'll bet over 80% of sportsmen and women simply buy their licenses & permits and go hunting (or fishing or trapping)with the equipment they can afford or already own and never give a thought to the possibility it could all end because they don't speak out!
I think most of them would say, "I don't care what you hunt or fish with as long as the governing body who sets regulations find it acceptable and approve it's use".
I would have to agree the bickering IS a distraction, and probably even keeps a few of the silent majority from entering the ranks of supportive groups simply because they do not want to take sides.
I think the answer might be to appeal to that vast majority to speak up more often.
If you don't care one way or the other don't just set silently by and watch the squabble! Speak out - even if it's only a note to your legislators to tell them you don't care about the small details, you just want tomake use of our natural resourceslegally and ethically and will trust to the wisdom of the lawmakers to determine the best seasons, bag limits, and allowable equipment to ensure our outdoor heritages survive!
I think if you can get that message to the silent majority, with enough emphasis to actually get them to speak out - we will ALL benefit!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Well....There is definitely a growing acceptance of crossbows across the industry. You can even catch an occasional one on a hunting show now and then. We have some big name hunters endorsing crossbow manufacturers and an increase in advertizing that has also gotten crossbows into the minds of archers. The first time you see one, like anything else that is new and diferant, many people will either run from it or or try to kill it. Human nature. A few will be curious enough to look into it and see that it isjust another bow. I agree that as more compound manufacturers join in producing crossbows there will be more acceptance. There is also a growing population of archers that can no longer draw their bows. Those archers have been thrust into a situation where theyeither change their opinions of crossbows or sit home watching Tred Barta make an ass of himself. I do agree that some of the negitivecomments as to the opositions opinions may not be in our best interest, but I also understand that there is alot of frustration in dealing with people who are not only missinformed about crossbows, but have some form of agenda that includes eliminatingpeoples ability to hunt withthem. Though theanti crossbow people are still there, I find that their numbers are not really growing, butthe number of crossbow owners are...may not be very long before theyloose enough memebers to us because of heath issuesthat they will be little more than background noise...
Wyvern

Quick Reply: What's your take on the subject

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.