Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 same satisfaction as bowhunting? >

same satisfaction as bowhunting?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

same satisfaction as bowhunting?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Default same satisfaction as bowhunting?

I find bowhunting to be more satisfying than hunting with a rifle. Mainly, I like the challenge of powering my own hunt rather than pointing and pulling the trigger. For those of you who bowhunt and also hunt with a crossbow, and particularly if my preference is something you identify with, can you tell me if you feel a similar level of satisfaction from crossbow hunting that you do with a bow? I'm thinking that I might like to try it out.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: same satisfaction as bowhunting?

works for me,still useing an arrow,have to be just as close as with
a compound bow,keeps me hunting!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hello John and welcome to the forum. I use compounds, trad bows and crossbows. The compound is far more accurate than the crossbow and the crossbow is more accurate than the Trad bow. The compound has a slight edge over the crossbow for range and both have a huge range over the Trad bow. The Trad bow is extremely difficult to master and the compound is moderately more difficult to master. This is all in terms of whitetail hunting. So the question is complicated. Compared to a compound I would say it is just as satisfying. Compared to Trad bows not as satisfying. Compared to hunting with a firearm? I guess in general terms I would say all archery is way more satisfying than using a firearm. Crossbow hunting is very unique. You do not get caught up in being an equipment freak like with compounds and do not become reliant on equipment as well. But all archery is about the same when hunting, you have to get within thirty yards or less and make a good decision when and where to shoot. The Trad bow is a bit different in that most guys have to be inside of twenty yards to make a good shot. Bottom line yes the same but maybe more with a crossbow compared to a compound.
Edit:My mistake, I should rather have said that the compound has a slight edge over the crossbow for range.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote170

Have I been trolled?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Hello John and welcome to the forum. I use compounds, trad bows and crossbows. The compound is far more accurate than the crossbow and the crossbow is more accurate than the Trad bow. The compound has a slight edge over the crossbow for range and both have a huge range over the Trad bow. The Trad bow is extremely difficult to master and the compound is moderately more difficult to master. This is all in terms of whitetail hunting. So the question is complicated. Compared to a compound I would say it is just as satisfying. Compared to Trad bows not as satisfying. Compared to hunting with a firearm? I guess in general terms I would say all archery is way more satisfying than using a firearm. Crossbow hunting is very unique. You do not get caught up in being an equipment freak like with compounds and do not become reliant on equipment as well. But all archery is about the same when hunting, you have to get within thirty yards or less and make a good decision when and where to shoot. The Trad bow is a bit different in that most guys have to be inside of twenty yards to make a good shot. Bottom line yes the same but maybe more with a crossbow compared to a compound.
Edit:My mistake, I should rather have said that the compound has a slight edge over the crossbow for range.
Thanks for the info, and no, I am NOT out to get guns or anything - I'm only interested in comparison to bows, just mentioned rifles to give you the context of why I'm asking the question. I hunt traditional because I like the closeness of the hunt, so I appreciate your comparison to both trad and composite bows.

Do you know if places tend to rent out crossbows like they rent out composites? At the very least it sounds like it would be interesting to try.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that I can't shoot a trad or compound, the xbow is the answer for me, still flinging arrows. Truth be told, if I could still shoot vert I'd have an xbow anyhow, they are fun and at times real challenging to shoot. Hunting w/ an xbow is often not the can of corn it's cracked up to be. They are heavy, bulky, and noisy. I was at a hunt last fall where all the stands I was in had those tube steel guard rails. Bare metal and plastic hollow stocks don't go well together. When you sit in a stand for 4 hrs w/ a 10 lb xbow, you become somewhat inventive what to do w/ the dang thing.

I think regardless of which bow we use we are lucky. Archery has changed more in our lifetimes than in the past several thousand years, for the most part, and we've had the front row seats.

Welcome to the forum, John, there's an xbow crowd growing in Pa and a forum on them at:http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...=43&page=1
You might just find someone in your neck of the woods to let you try theirs, we're a friendly bunch!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM

John, throughout the last 15 years, I have gone back and forth from xbow to comp. what I have found is this the xbow is more relaxing to hunt with and gives me more stand options. I am more confident because with the xbow is requires alot less movement to manipulate in the stand so I am not so worried about "how they come in". I will admit that there is no feeling like being a "full draw" with a whitetail, but the overall relaxation and enjoyment I get with the xbow makes up for it. that being said, I still hunt with both and right now am getting ready to order my 5th crossbow (this one from Wyvern) and am just as excited about is as my bowtech I just bought last month.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the link awshucks, I'm going to check it out tonight. I agree on being lucky to see the changes in archery, though I wish I were able to hunt in more places sometimes. A friend of mine spent a year in a cabin in alaska once. I don't remember if he said he had electricity, but there weren't any roads and the only way to get back and forth was by plane. No engine sounds, no city lights masking the stars, nothing. I could live with that.

Back to crossbows, though... are they difficult to aim? Is the recoil sort of like that when you fire a rifle, or less? I'm glad to hear you need to get up close before making your shot.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back to crossbows, though... are they difficult to aim? Is the recoil sort of like that when you fire a rifle, or less? I'm glad to hear you need to get up close before making your shot.

They have forward recoil like a spring piston air rifle and often you can't see impact thru a scope. They are harder to hold and shoot offhand than a compound as evidenced by scores in common to both competitions.

Quick Reply: same satisfaction as bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.