Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds >

Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds

Old 01-18-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds

Guys, what is the real deal on crossbow speed? I have an Excalibur Exocet and I feel I can bring down just about any animal on the Northern Continent. What would speed do to increase mykill factoror is it just a macho thing? Everyone knows "speed kills"
Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds

Nothing, other than make up for being bad at being guessing distance. If you are whitetail hunting and you shoot at a deer that is fourty yards and you think it is at thirty then a hyper-speed bow may help.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Yup. Faster arrow = Flatter trajectory.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

= further ya gotta go to get yur arra after whackin a deer.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

And if you are off by 10 yds in your range estimation like Don said 40 vs 30, your probably going to get what you deserve, unfortunatly, the deer is apt to get something it doesn't deserve. I can see the reason for the faster bows in 3-D competition, may squeak a few more points on misjudged ranges, but foam don't bleed.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

ORIGINAL: Dnk

And if you are off by 10 yds in your range estimation like Don said 40 vs 30, your probably going to get what you deserve, unfortunatly, the deer is apt to get something it doesn't deserve. I can see the reason for the faster bows in 3-D competition, may squeak a few more points on misjudged ranges, but foam don't bleed.
You got that right.........
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speed Kills! & i have the fastest hunting CB on this forum. About 230 fps no deer has been able survive after being hit with one of my tank arrows![:-][]
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unlike bullets, wherein kinetic energy is a factor in killing game, arrows kill largely by causing hemorrhage (excluding the relatively rare hit of the central nervous system). So faster arrows don't make much difference except for flattening trajectory a bit and perhaps preventing a (relatively close) deer from 'jumping the string'. Sharp broadheads and hits to 'where they live' do.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speed is good to a point, after that point is reached it reduces the lenght of time the equipment lasts. I believe with modern equipment a good x-bow that shoots 300fps properly taken care of will last a life time. Lee
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM

smokepolehall
Speed Kills! & i have the fastest hunting CB on this forum. About 230 fps no deer has been able survive after being hit with one of my tank arrows!
What kind of crossbow shoots @ 230 fps, recurve or compound? I have an ancient Barnett Panzer Recurve that shoots about that speed. Very accurate too, I might add...

Quick Reply: Real Deal on Crossbow Speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.