HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Lumizone crosshairs?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/227026-lumizone-crosshairs.html)

speedball 01-13-2008 01:16 PM

Lumizone crosshairs??

will the Lumizone scope have crosshairs like the varizone when it is turned off??speed.........

Lower Forty Boy 01-13-2008 02:53 PM

RE: Lumizone crosshairs??

Yep

Pydpiper 01-13-2008 03:23 PM

The lit up recticules are useless in my opinion..
The scope is great though, the Lumi-Zone has a bigger bell so you get more light than the Vari-zone, that makes up for the price, by a long shot.

awshucks 01-13-2008 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

The scope is great though, the Lumi-Zone has a bigger bell so you get more light than the Vari-zone, that makes up for the price, by a long shot.
2nd that. By the time it's so dark to light the reticules my rf no longer works. Here's a pic of the reticules common to both, L-zone is red, V-zone would be black.

wabi 01-13-2008 07:22 PM

I use a TenPoint ProView scope with three crosshairs and lighted dots at the crosshair junctions for low-light situations. I've found the lighted dots add about 10-15 minutes of accurate shooting potential at daylight & dusk.
Seldom need the lighted dots for actual hunting situations, but I have used then one one deer. I won't say the shot wouldn't have been possible without them, but they sure made it easy to accurately place the arrow where I wanted it.

Hotburn76 01-13-2008 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

2nd that. By the time it's so dark to light the reticules my rf no longer works. Here's a pic of the reticules common to both, L-zone is red, V-zone would be black.

I will third that!! LOL!! Excal has it mixed up IMO. The lighted reticles may be of use on the Varizone size objective scope, which is 32MM. The Lumizone has a 40MM objective and lets a pretty good amount of light in. Just like Dan, about the time I could turn it on, my RF is to dark and it is also just about quitting time. The Varizone cuts me short when there is about fifteen minuets left, but the L-Zone lets enough light in that I do not use the reticles. Both deer I shot this year had the reticle turned off.

awshucks 01-14-2008 03:50 AM

I'll say this about the L-zone, it will work dandy for hog hunting in Tx where I've been. You hunt from a box blind at feeders. Since you already know the range from getting in stand in the afternoon, those lit reticules are gonna be great for those early dark hogs. Some of the feeders have a dim light bulb over them, just not quite enough light for a V-zone. I also think it would work good for yotes of fox from a ground blind on a full moon night, but haven't tried that yet.

nksmfamjp 01-14-2008 05:30 AM

To answer the question, when off, the crosshairs are black, although all lit reticle crosshairs are just a bit translucent when off, where the varizone crosshairs would be a darker black. It looks fine in my lumi-zone scope. Really, everything about this scope is fine in my opinion, except the illumination controller. It is a bit touchy causing a quick turn of the knob to not give illumination. It has to be in a detent to illuminate. Between detents, itis off. Also, who needs 11 illumination settings. I think 4 including off would be fine.

speedball 01-16-2008 04:42 PM

thanks guys for all the explanations i've decided to go with the lumizone just so if i do get to get a shot at another 170" deer at very last light i wont disapoint myself,speed............

nksmfamjp 01-16-2008 08:23 PM

Just practice with it in low light. I think illuminated reticles are often sold giving the user a false hope. Really, the light from an illuminated reticle makes seeing your target worse in low light. It does make seeing the reticle better. That said, it's real selling point to me is that it gives me a difinitive aiming point in off light or flat light when an animal can look dark enough to almost match the black crosshairs. It is some benefit, but not what we all believe!

That said, I love my Lumizone. My wonderful parents bought it for me for xmas! Yipee!