Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bought an excalibur phoenix >

Bought an excalibur phoenix

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought an excalibur phoenix

Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bought an excalibur phoenix

congrats. I have the same bow. Try out the pin and peep sight you got with it first. I love it. No batteries to go dead, no flickering dots, pin doesn't bounce around like the red dots. Thats just me though. Had a lot of problems with red dots. I like to keep it simple. I have the block target and it works well. You can save some money buying your right stuff package on ebay too. I have found that the wasp boss heads that come with the package fly great.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wabi

LIAF,
Is the Z a red dot or is it a holographic type sight? With the red dot the dot appears to be on the lens of the sight when you look through it but with the holographic sight the dot appears to actually be on the target. Not sure how they accomplish the illusion of projecting the dot, but it gives a much better image.
A lot of the cheaper sights you see advertised as holographic are really just plain old red dots. The good holographic sights tend to be expensive.
If you look through a cheaper red dot and a good holographic sight side by side the difference becomes apparent. The higher price suddenly seem worth it.
I believe that the Z-point is a red dot but its not cheap as it goes for around $300.00. I have seen the holo. sights and they do appear to be different than my z-point. In any event I am going to use it since i bought one last year for my vertical bow but found it difficult to set up . Reason i went with an optical type sight on my vertcial bow is because my eyesight is getting worse as i age. pins are too blurry at this point but single focus scopes/red dots work fine.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

Try out the pin and peep sight you got with it first.
I have difficulty seeing my pins and target with my ross 337 and that was why i bought the z-point. only problem was z-point for a vertical bowis hard to set up. I imagine it should be easier to set up onan x-bow. One of the reasons i wanted an x-bow besides my rotator cuff tear is that its easier to sight in a single focus(plane) scope/red dot on an x-bow vs a vertical bow.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

No the z is not a Halographic like the Bushnell. The Z also uses a diode as opposed to a laser so as Wabi said it does not transpose the light on to the targe. The Z has many good atributes. One which is really good is the lack of weight. I also think the auto dimming feature is great. The Halo is an awesome sight but the Z is pretty good. You won't have any trouble hitting with the Z LIAF, it will help if you learn to keep both eyes open.