Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Discontinued

Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Default RE: arrow weights

ORIGINAL: bakabob
When I got my TR I called Horton and asked if I could shoot the lites in it and they said it would not hurt the bow but they really would not recommend it anyway.
They know that it can be done, but they also know it is pushing it. Some CB's could flat out not do it and some like yours could hold up. When they first sold my super max they advertised it on their site as 350 FPS and said in the fine print ti was the "target" arrows, the lites. Then before Cabelas and othersput it into print they changed it to 330 FPS and removed the target arrow comment because they know the CB will not last doing it. They now recommend not using any arrow under 430 grains including the point. and that is what they advertise the carbons at which I think is 431. The lites was Horton's answer to try and keep up with the speed game, they are now close enough with most of there competitors that they do not push or recommend the lites. Unless you have a older slower CB I would not use they.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Spike

I think your right. They didn't give a strong answer on using the lites and I am not going to take a chance on using them with my TR. They work good in the Yukon with the 150 lb pull though. I have thought about using the carbon arrows but to be honest I really don't know if there is much of an advantage with using them. If they weight about 430 grains with the head that makes them about the same as the aluminum arrows. That means there should not be any difference in speed so what is the advantage?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM

That means there should not be any difference in speed so what is the advantage?
The main reason I use the Carbons is they are always straight for me. Seemed like I was always bending aluminum arrows, mostly me from pulling out of target but when I checked before I would shoot there was always one or two that had the off center spin or would fail the roll on the counter test. Carbons have always been straight for me and have had zero problems with them. But your right, CB carbons are not lighter since CB's are limited to heavy arrows so the weight loss like the vertical crowd gets with them is not a advantage for us. My Carbons actually have brass inserts for added weight to give a better FOC.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Spike

That would make sense. So far I have not had problems with bent arrows but if I start having a problem I will certainly try the carbons now that I know the reason for them.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

. . .I weighed 3-LS 2 Lite arrows and they averaged 298.5 grains without heads. I then weighed 3- Lightning Strike MX arrows and they averaged out at 333.3 grains for a difference of about 34.8 grains. . . .When I got my TR I called Horton and asked if I could shoot the lites in it and they said it would not hurt the bow but they really would not recommend it anyway.
Thanks. You just figured out the mystery for me. Well, off I go to get 125 gr broadheads and practice points. I only shoot LS2 arrows. I need some broadhead replacements anyways. I couldn't understand why my new Lumi-Zone scope was telling me my arrows were going about 325FPS when I was shooting aluminum arrows on a 315fps xbow!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can get half moon nocks for 2216's from Ye Olde Archery Shop for $3.99 a dozen. http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/easton-half-moon-nocks-p-6116.html

Get some XX75 2216 shafts,I'm thinking Gamegetter II's to keep theprice down, cut 'em to 20" after cutting off the nock swage, install the nock and insert and fletch 'em up. You're in business...