HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   CB fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/224110-cb-fishing.html)

Safety Off 12-24-2007 05:08 PM

CB fishing

I see a lot of people shooting the Carp up at the Lake I fish trout. Can you set up the CB's for fishing?

coyote170 12-24-2007 06:24 PM

RE: CB fishing

On one of Ten Points new recurves you can set it up for fishing
there was another I will see if I can find it for you and get back.

awshucks 12-24-2007 07:24 PM

10 pt just brought out a new bow fishing rig that looks good!

KLS 12-24-2007 08:03 PM

now that I'm getting into them I've been thinking about setting up a crossbow and trying it, I've bowfished all my life, in fact I have three completesetups hanging in the shed right now, but I have never tried it with a crossbow, I think it would be kind of neat...

I'm pretty rough on my fishing bows so I'd have to geta crossbowthat I could beat up and not have to worry,in the spots I fish my bows usually see alot of underwater time, along with an occasional drop on the rocks, so I wouldnt want to use my good hunting bow

Safety Off 12-24-2007 09:13 PM

Do you think the 10 pt setup would fit a Vortex? I think it would be cool to cruse along looking for fish then WHAM - fish on. Those carps look pretty big. See them just below the surface. They never have hit a lure as I troll by however - I think they need to be force feed an arrow lol

martinfaw 12-24-2007 09:52 PM

I set up a old powermaster to bowfish and it worked good, it is about 100 to 120lbs and the arrow would go about half way thru. I used a big zebco and 50 lb line.

Martin

KLS 12-24-2007 10:00 PM

are you guys using the solid fiberglass bowfishing arrows or something else?

if your using the solid bowfishing ones are you doing anything special to the nock end or just letting the string ride on the bare shaft?

Safety Off 12-25-2007 01:59 AM

Martin, nice fish. I guess youshoot the fish then fight him as usual using the Zebco? What do you do, free spool the reel? How do you get the line on the arrow?

KLS 12-25-2007 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Safety Off
I guess youshoot the fish then fight him as usual using the Zebco?
yes, thats howa reelsetup like that works, theres several retrieval systems around,I've own and used them all, and IMO the best by farfor general bowfishing is the closed faced reel with the "stubby" rod, I have 888 zebcos on all of my setups

out of all the lines I've also tried I've found that braded nylon seems to work the best and last the longest

What do you do, free spool the reel?
yes, and you have to make damn sure that the release is clicked, I've had countless times where things didnt release quite as planned, and it can get a little dramatic sometimes...
depending on what rigging you use on the arrow you also have to make sure that the line is clear throughout the arrows travel in the bowwhen released, its easy for the line to get snagged on the rest, or any number of other things, upon release, which can also get a little exciting sometimes...

you also have to watch your fingers... my brother got a nasty cut one time by unknowingly having the string wrapped around his finger when he shot, and yes, the string played out wrapped around his finger until the arrow impacted and it cut him very bad...

How do you get the line on the arrow?
again, theres several ways to rig an arrow, actual fishing arrows are solid fiberglass with a tapered end for the string nockwith a holeat each endfor tying on a string, pinning on the point, running a cable system, or rigging up whateverway you chose to rig them
I have some with lightweight cable rigs(that I made myselffrom bulk cable and the bodies of almin rivets for crimps) and like them alot but I also have a bunch that I use that are setup to have the string tied through thre rear hole, you just have to be sure you pin the head good, one hard impact into a rock can(and will) shatter the end of the arrow and you'll loose your tip(which is why running a cable system is a big plus in rocky terrain)

I've tried various other arrow types over the years too, and any number of ways for attaching the line and points, including alumin. carbon, fiberglass, and various combos of them together and in the end ended up running just the basic fiberglass fish arrow, in the type of terrain I bowfish in they just work the best

like I said though, I've never tried bowfishingwith a crossbow, and I'm not sure what works best for a setup...

Safety Off 12-25-2007 10:23 AM

KLS, thanks for the info - I got a clearer picture now. I do a lot of spear fishing and it's kind of the same regarding making sure your line comes out clean and not snagged on anything. However, on big fish, I hit them and the line comes off the gun. I have floats that are attached and go to the surface. I follow them playing the fish byhand on the surface. It gets interesting when Mr. Shark comes around looking for a free meal. They usually hit the tail end first and leave you with half a bloodyfish.