Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Hunting Coyotes

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Hunting Coyotes

Greetings to all - I am new at crossbows and don't have a clue what they can do. I am an avid shooter shooting competition in IPSC pistol and3 Gunas well as Sniper matches. However, I want to hunt using a Crossbow. I have a few Coyotes who come in myarea making meals of our pets. I have called them up to a tree about 30 to 40yards from my front door. I could camo up and get close.

What is the effective range?

What kind should I get (about 6' tall and about 260 lbs - an old fart).

I looked at some in the Cabelas catalog and played with a few at the new Bass Pro shop in my area. Someof the crossbows have pulley type systems and some don't? Seems the pulley's would be better?

How fast is a reload?

I looked at some of the crank assists for reloading but they seem slow and noisy. How hard is it to pull back a 200 lbs. crossbow?

How do you practice with one? Can you reuse the arrows?

Price - No more then $1,000.00.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Safety Off
Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Hunting Coyotes

the parker buck buster is a good bow i got mine off ebay from a guy named wyvern creations for about 475.00 with 6 extra arrows this guys customer service is AA-1 hes there for you after the sale the parker buck buster cocks easy with a cocking aid hope this helps
Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

The effective range of a crossbow is well over 100 yards, but only for target shooting.. Most guys claim to stay within about 30 yards for hunting deer, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 50 yard shot at a coyote.
Excalibur makes a few great bows, for $1000 you would have all the options and a case of beer or two.
Shoot lots of them, find one you like and that fits you, just like any other shouldered firearm. You will still end up with an Excalibur though.
Wheels are for compound bows, they are not getting much glory in the crossbow world.
Drawing a 200 pound bow is just that, 200 pounds.. There are alternatives between the strong arm technique and that cranker job, you'll see.
Fast reloads? Your kidding right? Mine only came with a 5 shot magazine.
Arrows are very reusable, and repairable once they do become wore or damaged.

A great deal of crossbow guys lean towards the Excalibur line, simple, reliable extremely accurate and terrific support. It (like all crossbows) is far from a long range weapon and does require practice to operate and shoot safely. Your a gun guy, you know that anything propelling any type of projectile requires practice.
I like your screen name by the way.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

The effective range of a crossbow is well over 100 yards, but only for target shooting.. Most guys claim to stay within about 30 yards for hunting deer, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 50 yard shot at a coyote.
Excalibur makes a few great bows, for $1000 you would have all the options and a case of beer or two.
Shoot lots of them, find one you like and that fits you, just like any other shouldered firearm. You will still end up with an Excalibur though.
Wheels are for compound bows, they are not getting much glory in the crossbow world.
Drawing a 200 pound bow is just that, 200 pounds.. There are alternatives between the strong arm technique and that cranker job, you'll see.
Fast reloads? Your kidding right? Mine only came with a 5 shot magazine.
Arrows are very reusable, and repairable once they do become wore or damaged.

A great deal of crossbow guys lean towards the Excalibur line, simple, reliable extremely accurate and terrific support. It (like all crossbows) is far from a long range weapon and does require practice to operate and shoot safely. Your a gun guy, you know that anything propelling any type of projectile requires practice.
I like your screen name by the way.
Ditto the above! 1st thing is to decide compound or recurve. Recurves are wider but simpler to maintain, you do it all yourself, what little there is. Compounds are narrower and have lots more that can go wrong due to the sheer number of parts. Of the recurves, Excal is king, and my bow of choice. However they are not for everyone. As a gun shooter, you are going to be amazed at the Excal range compensating scopes, the V-zone and L-zone, be sure to read some on them, no matter what bow you choose. Have fun! Oh, you can do alot better price wise than Bpro or Cabelas.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Thanks guys - great information. About the reload question. The coyotes that are living near my house and causing problems run around in a 3 pack. They pretty much don't care about humans and are often poping up within 30 to 40 yards. I thought maybe I could hit one and possibly reload for another shot. I know I could easily take all 3 with myAR -However, I like the idea of stealthly hunting with a cross bow

When I was a kid, I bought one of the first Whamo cross bows. I think it was 40 lbs but don't remember. I shot a rabbit at close range and the arrow went right through it - the rabbit jerked a little but kept sitting in the same spot! -I don't even think he knew he was hit! But that was a long time ago. I remember the bow was not as quite as you would think. Are the newer onesnoisy as well?

Looks like the Excal is the one to start out with. Seems like everyone agrees. What model would be best for hunting? I read a 200 lbs bow could be pulled at 100 lbs with a rope device. I like the idea of POWER[:@]

Thanks again for your time in information. I feel this is going to be a GOOD forum and I plan to have fun with the cross bow (whatever I get). Thinking of giving a tree stand a go as well. Never used one but up where I have my cabin is a lot of trees.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Phoenix [175] and an Emax [225]. If I only had one [perish the thought] it would be an Exocet, which Pyper shoots or it's thumbhole stock brother Vortex, which Hotburn has. Have my doubts about a quick second shot on any thing, but like David said in his post 50 yds is doable on a yote for sure. I started out w/ a Whammo also, mine was 80# pull. They have been relegated to wall hanger status due to safety issues w/ metal limbs failing, btw.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

OK, looks like I am going to give the Equinox Excal a try. Does anyone know what the reticle looks like with the Vari-Zone multirange scope offered in the package they have in Cabelas? Here is the package:

The Equinox has a new ergonomic thumbhole stock and bone-crushing power that make it destined to become the flagship of the Excalibur line. The 225-lb. draw, 16-1/2" power stroke and recurve design throw bolts at 350 fps. The shorter overall length (38.4") makes it easier to cock and steadier to hold without sacrificing downrange performance. At 6.4 lbs., this is a lightweight crossbow for stealth hunting. The Realtree® AP HD™ camo is applied using the Kolorfusion process for amazing pattern reproduction. Tapped to accept Excalibur's scope and quiver mounts. Quick-detach sling swivels. Fiber-optic sight included.
Save money compared to buying these accessories separately. The kit includes an Equinox crossbow, Vari-Zone multirange scope, scope mount and rings, quiver bracket, four-bolt quiver, serving wax, excel string, rope cocking aid, crossbow stringer, six bolts, six 100-grain target points, and six 100-grain broadheads. Realtree® AP HD™ camo.

What else would I need?

Safety Off
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same as this but the reticules don't light up and are black.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

a 22 rifle will fix them as well. been there done that.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

AMEN jeeper,also the old trusty 12 gauge works to!

Quick Reply: Hunting Coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.