Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 First X-bow deer - questionable shot but successful >

First X-bow deer - questionable shot but successful

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First X-bow deer - questionable shot but successful

Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First X-bow deer - questionable shot but successful

Last Tuesday evening I took my first deer (a large doe) with the crossbow that I bought, a Tenpoint Pro-Slider. I was shooting Tenpoint Pro-Elite bolts with 100 grain Grim Reaper mechanicals. I took a shot that was a definite no-no from what I've read. Still, I was sure I could take it successfully, and I was right. I was 25 feet up and she was 25 yards away, facing me... quartering just a little to the rightwith her head down. I shot, and the bolt penetrated between the left shoulder and the spine, exited back and low on the right side, then passed through the right hind quarter. Complete passthrough lengthwise. She waddled about 50 yards before she dropped. Anyway, I'm putting myself on report to ask the question.... was it luck on the passthrough, or is that just a benefit of using a crossbow... extra power? On the Grim Reaper mechs, I'm hooked even more than I already was. That's the third deer I've taken with them. All passthroughs and all mechanically sound after the shot. The blades are nicked up, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

On another note, to anyone who says that a crossbow gives a hunter an unfair advantage over a compound shooter, I nowhave to disagree. I've found that I'm much more accurate with my compound than I am with the X-bow (I'm amediocre shot at best with a rifle w/scope and the crossbow is even harder because of the extra weight), I'm more confident on a 40 yard shot with my compound than with the crossbow, and I can turn and draw undetected with a compoundjust as easily as I can turn and take aim undetected with that big crossbow frame sticking out of my silhouette. In my opinion, it's harder for me to hunt with a crossbow than with a compound.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First X-bow deer - questionable shot but successful

congrats on your deer,they are a struggle but you gotta love that xbow!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote170

congrats on your deer,they are a struggle but you gotta love that xbow!
Agreed! I sure didn't expect to see the bolt sticking in the ground on that shot.... I was impressed.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM

I was taught that a quartering to shot in anyway was a no no!! But I was also taught that by the older crowd that did not shoot the faster more powerful compounds or the newer CB's Since being on this site I see alot of post in the regular forum where guys talk about the hunts they had and took a quartering too shot and they have a successful harvest, and in the pics you can see that they have them a arrow hole right smack dab in the shoulder. Then there is a few guys in here that have given me solid info and say they have taken shoulder shots with no problems at close ranges, I would think this can work, but not a far ranges, you need the KE to do it. All this has made me rethink it maybe it was just a no no with the older slower recurves? I do not know, I have not had the pressure to want to doso yet. As far as a pass though goes I would say I am not surprised at all. If you hit high you should have missed the thickestshoulder part of the bone, then only ribs are left.The only time I did not get a pass through was on a direct spine shot, and I have no desire to do that again! I alsodo not see the drawing on a deer as all it is cracked up to be. I have had alot of deer walk up on me and then I need to grab my CB and sometimes stand up with no problems. I have never been busted grabbing my CB which is always hanging. The eight point I shot this year was about ten feet behind me before I seen him. I had to turn around, grab my CB, turn on camera and shoulder the CB all as the deer walked to with in three feet of my tree. It is simple to me, I just move when they step and when they are not looking,never had a problem! Congrats on you hunt and the story!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the Kill!

Hey try going from Recurve to Crossbow,dang thing weighs a Ton.But its all I can use now.

big rockpile
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Know that feeling,at least we can still hunt!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job teammate but I would not bank on that shot evertime. I hit one in the shoulder this year and never found him and only got 10 inches of arrow into him. Even with an xbow don't count ona questioable shot doing the job. Glad your out hunting and I am NOT second guessing you at all.

Think you could shoot a buck for the team while your out there??