Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Help choosing a climber >

Help choosing a climber

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Help choosing a climber

Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help choosing a climber

I had a summit viper ss. I sold it after 1 season. Was to big and bulky to drag through any of the bush I hunt. Always had branches and twigs catching on it, making a lot of moise on my way in. My friend has an alpha sit and climb, that thing is so small you can carry it in on your shoulder. I will probably be buying one of them next season and a ground blind. Right now I use lone wolf hang on with climbing sticks. I ususally leave the stand up and take the sticks out with me
Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have sold the Old Man that I usaed for many years it is just to heavy for me now, since I own my own hunting land the stands there are not a problem I use ladder stands and pull them up with the winch on the anfib; but I seem to draw a permit for my favorite refuge every year and I need a portable stand thats light enough for me to carry and as I am over 70 and not as strong as I used to be [the reason I had to get rid of the Old Man .
I am looking for as light as possable and as small as is practical for a 6 foot 185 pound man, any ideas would be appricated. Lee
Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have hunted from Lock on stands (using climbing spurs, steps and climbing steps), pop-up blinds, ground blinds (made from branches ect), ladder stands & climbers. THey all have their place and time, but if I had a choice, it would be my ladder stand. The problem is with the ladder stand is that it is not that mobile, it is more of a fixed stand, like the ground blinds made from branches.

The climbers are great because they are portable, easy to go to a different tree at different times, but you still need to find a suitable tree to use in a suitable area. The ladder stand can use more trees then the climbers. I use a Summit and think that it is great.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I have sold the Old Man that I usaed for many years it is just to heavy for me now, since I own my own hunting land the stands there are not a problem I use ladder stands and pull them up with the winch on the anfib; but I seem to draw a permit for my favorite refuge every year and I need a portable stand thats light enough for me to carry and as I am over 70 and not as strong as I used to be [the reason I had to get rid of the Old Man .
I am looking for as light as possable and as small as is practical for a 6 foot 185 pound man, any ideas would be appricated. Lee
Lee,
How do you use a winch to install ladder stand? I have a really hard time getting the ladder upright. I often use a deer cart to haul it in on. It's not real quite getting it set up, but they are nice to hunt out of.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

have you looked at the TREE-LOUNGE??
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Retail,

I curious as to why you've had problems with stik ladders? Have you tried the API Quik Stik?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Redtail, you sound like me I also can climb good but have trouble hangingstands I've tried climbers and all kinds and for me the best is a light hang on and the screw in steps with the pin that that goes thru the lag end that way you can turn them out and use a piece of pipe for leverage,bore a hole thru the pipe and put a rope thru it and around your wrist so you can't drop it.
A good system makes hanging easier, you need a good climbing belt you can lean back on so both hands are free, you start out by putting the first step at your knee set your foot on that one and put your second step at the top of that knee, do this till you get close to the height you want and then put a step on both sides of tree
level, stand on these to hang the stand, lean back on the climbing belt so both hands are free to hang the stand. Make sure the buckles or chains are facing you. Then you space the steps so you can step on the stand level.
I am ashamed to tell how many years it took me to figure this out hope this helps out.

Martin