Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Deer hunting when it's warm out? >

Deer hunting when it's warm out?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deer hunting when it's warm out?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My second choice is "NO stinking bugs"with fresh earth smell added.Only problem with it is it can be sweated off.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not willing to hunt in warm weather here in SE Alabama, you may as well not hunt. I have walked to my stand, in the dark ... mid January ... naked from the waist up, carrying my shirt and cap in my fanny pack becasue it was alreay 75F +/- and headed to the high 80's. This high temperatuures in January is indeed unusual for sure, even this far south. But 90F in mid-October is not. I have archery hunted in October when the midafternon temp approached 95F. Not "real fun" and for me, seldom productive.

Managing meat cooling as I see it is always to get as cooled down as fast as practical, and as soon as possible. I am going to be remote, I carry 10-15 gallons of tap water water, a small "garden sprayer" and a 90 qt. Igloo "Marine" ice chest filled with ice. I use the water to clean the deer, using the sprayer washer to give the water some dirt/hair removing force. I'll bury the meat in ice best I can and leave the drain plug open so that the melt water drains out. When the meat cools of enough for that to settles down, I'll close it off ... draining later at irregular intervals.

If I am at my camp, I load the deer and head on in ASAP ... where I have a skinning shed and a walk-in cooler. Makes it nice for sure.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, actually, I'd prefer hunting when it's warm than when it's cold. Deer are still kinda dumb still, doesn't get dark until 7:30, better camouflage in the tree while the leaves are still on.

Use a thermacell to keep the bugs away, and get your meat in the cooler ASAP.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by 4patches
yes, this is a good topic to bring up. heat and the bugs, does anybody here use those bug repellers "Thermacell "or anything like it ? on opening day my son was flailing away at the bugs like he was on fire [:@]( we left the stand after about a hour of this ) he says he wont go again untill the bugs die. now i hunt turkey in the spring too so this thing would get used plenty, just need to know if its worth spending the money on.
Yes! It works also. They have an earth sent insert and it smells great. I sit in a wooden club stand and I put it on the base floor and sit back.

I also have the luxury of having a walk-in cooler at my hunt camp. When I get ready to go home, I pack a couple of bags of ice in the gut cavity and wrap it up with a tarp. My trip is around 3 hrs and the deer meat is nice and cold when I get to the processors house.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by b_in_atl
Well being down here in the South, us boys have no choice but to hunt in warm weather. First couple of weeks were in the 90's and deer were still being killed. I'd prefer to hunt cooler weather but it's not up to me. When it's this warm you try to get the deer field dressed or take it toa processor as soon as possible.

As for a Thermocell I will swear by it. You can be covered up with bugs and within a few minutes of turning it on they are gone. I never leavehome without mine. There is still much debate whether or not the deer can smell it, but most will tell you that they have not noticed any ill effects of using a Thermocell.
I am lucky in that my hunt club has a walkin cooler on the property. I gut it and in the cooler it goes. Now I do have a three hour drive home and I will get a couple of bags of ice and stick them inside the deer and wrap the deer up in a tarp. It works well. Ice does melt much and the meat is cooled down nicely.

Now as to Thermocell. I love it and also would not go in the woods with out it. I am using the earth scent now and last year I arrowed three does during bow and it was hot and buggy. The Thermocell didn't seem to bother the deer before I whacked them!!!