HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Arrow Retention Spring on Horton Summit Lifts Bolt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/204439-arrow-retention-spring-horton-summit-lifts-bolt.html)

Roger Barker 08-27-2007 07:25 PM

Arrow Retention Spring on Horton Summit Lifts Bolt?

Horizontal Limb Guys,

The arrow retention spring on my new Horton Summit applies enough pressure on the bolt to lift it slightly in the track. I'd say the bolt is up maybe 1/32" at the front end of the track. Is this normal and OK?

Sorry to be such a pest with all the questions -

Roger Barker

awshucks 08-27-2007 08:08 PM

RE: Arrow Retention Spring on Horton Summit Lifts Bolt?

Roger, questions ain't a problem, lol, but this is oine of those deals where a picture is worth a 1000 words. No, that doesn't sound right. Since most xbow mfgrs are dealing w/ 22 series diameter arrows, gotta assume [dangerous word] all have about the same pressure on arrow retainer springs/ clips. On my Excals, that's about 1/4" and again am assuming it should be very near that for your Horton, since we both shoot same diameter arrows, and our "slots" in the rail should be about the same. The easy answer is you have a bent arrow or your rail isn't flat. I'm guessing you already went that route, hence the question here. Any chance your "kock" vane [dang sensors] is bottoming out in the rail slot? Maybe give Horton a call??

Hotburn76 08-28-2007 12:37 PM

I think Dan hit the nail on the head. The retention spring pushes down on the arrow about five inches up from the nock so if the arrow or rail is straight then it should hold it down flat regardless of how hard it pushes. I would first check the arrows to make sure they are not bent. Give the a roll on the table and make sure they do not wobble at all. Then maybe check the rail for anything in it. Can you see it lifted up and then take a knife and lift up on the tab? What happens if you do this? I would start with the arrows.

Roger Barker 08-31-2007 07:54 PM

Guys,

I talked to Horton today. They suggested the problem was caused by pushing the bolt too hard into the string when loading. I verified this as the cause. Push the bolt into the string and the front end pops up a little, pull it out a fraction, and the boltlays flat. Apparently the string is a little lower than the half moon and pulls the rear of the bolt down if you push it firmly into the string.

Roger

awshucks 09-01-2007 07:24 AM

Makes sense to me, never thought about the nock, glad you solved your problem, now we got that one in the "info bank" for next time.