Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I know one thing, this was the last time >

I know one thing, this was the last time

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I know one thing, this was the last time

Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Default I know one thing, this was the last time

that I will ever have my thumb sticking above the rail. I guess I had become too accustomed to how I shoot my rifle. I got back in town last night and was anxious to go shoot my Exocet 200. I put on my new LumiZone scope and wentto the backyard. Everything was going great until around shot #16. I fired and felt tremendous pain in my left hand. I looked down to see a pool of blood. I caught about 3/4" of my thumb with the string. I have to tell you it was one of the most painful things I can remember. It is pretty much black and blue and is still throbbing.If the swelling does not go down soon I may have to go get it pricked to relieve some pressure. I guess I'm lucky it didnt tear off part of my thumb.

It'ssort ofembarassing to admit this, but hopefully I've learned a valuable lesson. I know I'll be more conscious from here on out when I get ready to shoot. Maybe this will keep someone else from doing the same thing.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I know one thing, this was the last time

Like Danny Miller says in the Excal video/dvd, "It will feel so good when it quits hurting" lol. Welcome to the "club"! Try not to join the "Dry fire" club, it's got too many members now.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but I have to laugh even tho I know deep down inside its not funny and hopefully I dont join ether club.
Hope your thumb comes thru ok......
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I am happy to report that is one mistake I have yet to make, I put holes in campers, toilet seats, other arrows, lost arrows, dry-fired more times than a bow should endure but I have never, not once did that dreaded thumb thing..

Heal fast and heal well.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am so thankful i keep just abit of brain activity going during the mechanical aspect of shooting my beloved Exocet 200. [8D]
Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

you may want to have it xrayed!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM

I was too late to go today, but tomorrow morning I am going to the doctor's office. I do not think anything is broken, but there isalot offluid built up in the top part of my thumb. The pressure is getting to be pretty painful so I am going to have them relieve it. Cant wait for them to drill a hole through my nail and squeeze out all the fluid. Although I cant imagine ithurting any worse than it does right now.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: b_in_atl

It'ssort ofembarassing to admit this, but hopefully I've learned a valuable lesson. I know I'll be more conscious from here on out when I get ready to shoot. Maybe this will keep someone else from doing the same thing.

I learned very quickly about string slap onto the thumb. But my bow is the Excalibur Relayer whih is easier to position your hand into the danger one then the newer stocks.

Since your prone to have a habbit of placing your hand too high on the stock (above the shooting rail), if I was you I would go get some 1/4 inch round moulding (the plastic type) and some good 2 sided double tape. After placing the tape onto the 1/4 round, postion the 1/4 round just below the top of the shooting rail (I would do both sides just to keep the balance). When you feel the 1/4 round when getting ready to shoot, you will know not to put your fiongers any higher. You can even camo it yourself.

Good luck and hope you did not break anything. I have know people to break bones doing just what you have done.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM

ouch! I have had only one encounter with this. It was my first shot on the darned thing and the string just nicked the top of my thumb. It stung for about 30min and thumb was swollen for an hour. Here's to a good healing!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Spike

I promise, you won't do it again.

Quick Reply: I know one thing, this was the last time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.