Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Age to start kids hunting? >

Age to start kids hunting?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Age to start kids hunting?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Age to start kids hunting?

I was curious at what age everyone started hunting? Also what age did you start taking your own kids/grandkids (if you got any) hunting?

I didn't get started till I was 12. My dad was never into hunting or fishing or even owning a gun. My now ex brother-in-law got me into hunting small game with him using a .410, and moved up to deer hunting. Late bloomer I know, but now my wife almost hates hunting season since I love being in the woods so much, and I have deer jerky being made in 2 dehydrators for several months. After a while the smell gets to her I guess.

My boy who will be 3yrs old at the end of November, is already addicted to hunting. Loves to wear his camo hat and shirts, (his favorite shirt hasa nice buck on it and reads "My favorite color is Camo") Can tell you the difference between deer, elk, bear when we watch hunting shows. Knows what a buck is but hasn't got the whole doe thing down yet. Will even tell you "Shhhh" and whisper a deer is coming.

I constantly reinforce the dangers of my guns and bow.He will tell you and others not to touch, that it can hurt you, andI must be there if you want tolook atit.Loves to put his ear plugs in andwatch me "plink" or watch me shoot my bow, and then we walk to the target to retrieve my arrows together. Has few toys guns that we play with together, buthe has to ask for me to getthem as we also keep them put away.I hold and let him shoot my paintball gun, funny to watch him squint one eye and aim. He also loves to go driving with me in the evenings to look at deer when they are coming out into the fields.

Yep, I got the perfect hunting buddy in the making. Now to just wait a couple more years for him to get older and take him on his first real hunt. Be cool for him to be the only kid in Kindergarden that brings in a deer mount of a nice buck he shot for show 'n' tell.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: Age to start kids hunting?

when my old man was younger it was hard to get him out of the woods, so I've been huntingsince day one

my son is 12 this month and it will be his firstlegal year to hunt, but I've been taking him hunting since he was old enough to get around in the woods by himself without any trouble

its been kind of an expensive year this year as far as hunting gear goes, I gave him his deer rifle, a .44mag carbine(which was my first deer rifle) but I had to buy him his own .22(and now he wants a red dot scope on it), and then he wanted a shotgun so I bought him a new reminton 870 youth model, I got him new hunting clothes/boots, and a ground blindbecause I figuredit would beeasier, more forgiving andhe would probably have a better outcomethan sitting a hyper 12 year old in a tree stand and having him sit still for hours
he's had his bow for a couple years now so I didnt have to drop any money into that, but buying arrows to replace lost/ruined ones is always an ongoing process...
and thats not even counting all the stuff I've gotten for myself this year, with my new crossbow setup, reloading stuff, licenses and everything else I've dropped quite a bit on my side too, and I still want to pick up a GPS unit before hunting season which will be another $170... so yeah, its been a pricey season this year(and it hasnt even started yet), but its worth it...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I like your idea of putting him in a ground blind. I often wondered that myself of how to get someone to sit still for so long that has never done it. Very good idea of using a blind to start someone new to hunting. This will be my 2nd yr hunting from a stand. Up until now I always hunted on the ground (no blind) just either a light dove hunting folding seat or a cushion under my butt.

This has taught me alot about getting my scent down, blending in with my natural surroundings and how use my eyes and ears more to know whats going on around me than turning your whole head.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started taking my son when he was 3. You just need to realize that someday's they might stay there all day and someday's they are ready to leave in about 5 minutes.
I take a lot of young kids out hunting and it just depends on the kid when they are ready to start hunting and/or be exposed to hunting.

www.youthoutside.org click on photo gallery to see some I've taken out hunting/fishing.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A personal regret is that I did not start my son hunting until he was 12. By that time he was bored and disintersted.
Had I to do it over he would be with me as often as possible from not later than 5 or 6, to include shooting appropriate guns and bows. The most difficult part is not taking them but knowing how to entertain them while there so it continues to be fun (for them)..... and when to take them home when it's no longer fun.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 AM

I am sure he did it sooner sometimes but I can remember going into the woods with my dad squirrel hunting and watching him hunt at 7. I can remember him letting me shoot a .22 as far back as I can go, maybe five or six, not sure how old but can remember the other kids where in school and I was still home. When I was eight I took my first hunters safety course and failed! Dad would not help, had to do it own my own. Turned nine a few weeks later in July and he took me to it again and passed, hunted that fall at the age of nine with a .410 single shot! When I have kids I plan on putting them in the back pack thing and taking them! LOL!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting around 11-12. Started trapping around 9-10. Always fished.
I don't have any children, but if I did I would start taking them when they showed interest. At least part of the time. Might not get them to be quiet enough or hold still for deer hunting. But I would at least let them get the exposure by taking them along once in a while.
If they did good, you bet they'd be with me whenever they wanted to go.
My parents split up when I was 10. But before that my dad fished alot. He would always promise to take me, but never did. One winterday when I was about5,I walked about 3 miles to a lake to try to icefish. I had woke up and left before light. There had been a fairly heavy snow the night before. I put the fishing stuff on a sled and took off. It was about 20 deg. out, but I was actually dressed warm and didn't get cold. My mom woke up to find me missing and was hysterical. Some Amish friends who lived across the road from us tracked me to the lake. I was there trying to get a hole in the ice but couldn't, the auger was taller than I was. My mom breaks down into tears to this day when we talk about it. I just laugh and tell her it's really no big deal, I just wanted to go, so I did. But in reality it is kinda sad, looking back as an adult. So if you tell your kids you'll take them, do it. Which I'm sure you will. My dad had problems, but now I understand. I've been through some of the same sh*t. But am doing good now. He is too. I don't want, and am not looking forany sympathy because that doesn't really bother me now. I've let it go. It's just something I wanted to share with you all.

JMO

chris
Old 08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing Chris, and everyone else also. Really goes to show that if the kid shows interest in it, that you should expose them hunting/fishing and the like to see if its their thing. I want to start my boy fishing next yr. Get him a Scooby Do pole or something for him to start with.

I know alot of what my son does is because he sees me doing it, and wants to do the same as his daddy.But he is also very good at wanting to do things for himself. He don't want you to help him get dressed, brush his teeth ect ect.He loves being outside. You tell him your going outside and he runs to get his shoes. You tell him he can't go cause I am going paintballing, or riding on my motorcycle and he is crushed. So I try to work it so he is going over to play with some of his neices and nephews or going to church and leaves before I do so he don't have a melt down.

Dave
Old 08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Great thread!
My son just turned five, he has been in the woods with me 75% of the time I go out. Bought him his first .22 when he was 4 (first picture)and now is wanting a shotgun, we borrowed a .410 and he decided it wasn't for him, not yet anyways. He has a decent understanding of the laws and more importantly, gun safety. He has his own gun cabinet in his room where he keeps his Daisy BB gun and a pile of toy guns, his bow and arrows, sometimes he will ask to keep his .22 in there, and I will let him if the bolt is in my safe.
He has no problem sitting in a blind for 4 or 5 hours, this turkey season he got a good chance to see some beautiful deer very close up on our turkey hunts. An absolute pleasure to have in the woods! He could tell you any animal that is in season right now and what gun you can hunt it with. The little guy consistently runs 2" groups with his .22 out to the 65 yards I let him shoot. I feel lost in the woods without him.
We hunt almost daily, when he turn 12 he will be a force to be reckoned with..
Here he is with his .22LR Cricket..

Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome pictures... I love it! I can't wait till my liitle nephews and niece get a little older. (they're just babies now). My brother in law is an avid hunter / fisherman so they'll all probably end up hunting. My neice is thea little wildchild.She's a little tomboy like my sister. So I'm sure she'll be right in the mix also!!

chris

Quick Reply: Age to start kids hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.