HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Horton Users Please Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/199509-horton-users-please-help.html)

b_in_atl 07-27-2007 05:27 PM

Horton Users Please Help

I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer. On the stock below where the Red Dot Scope is mounted, there is a dial. From what I have found so far, I think this is the Dial-A-Range® trajectory compensator. Is this only used if you do not have aRed Dot Scope or will I use this in conjunction with the Red Dot? If anyone could fill me in or point me to a website that explains it I would certainly appreciate it.

Hotburn76 07-27-2007 05:58 PM

RE: Horton Users Please Help

I am not sure if it was ever intended to be used with a pin and peep sight setup. It is used for the single dot red dot scopes. I am not at home so I can not look at mine right now but I think it made to set you next to lowest setting on 20 yards and then your lowest setting would be for 10, your next to lowest for twenty and so on up to your farther ranges. But they are made mainly for the single dot red dot scopes. I never used mine out of fear of having it on wrong setting or setting it and the deer going farther then I thought and then being off. Some guys complain about accidentally turning them and not knowing it when they shoot and be off.

Hotburn76 07-27-2007 06:00 PM

Screwed that one up! LOL!!

b_in_atl 07-27-2007 06:10 PM

Thanks Hotburn, figured if someone knew you would. I will just leave it on 0 and never touch it again.

Hotburn76 07-27-2007 06:13 PM

Page eight of the Horton manual post 2000....

Hotburn76 07-27-2007 06:14 PM

Page nine.....

awshucks 07-27-2007 06:15 PM

The dial-a-range is for single aim point devices like a red dot or single xhair rifle scope. Each number is another 10 yds, or there abouts. If you use a peep and pin and the peep is mounted on the scope mount rail, it will work the same for that. If you use a multiple aim point like 3 dot red dot or Varizone, there's a way to pin that so it doesn't move accidently. Horton sells a multi line scope for more than a V-zone costs and they fog up bad so far on two I had here at various times. There was a good explanation on the xbow forum on AT on how to do it last year. I'd put it on "2" to start out w/ shoot one at 10 yds to make sure you are on the target, then go to 20. After you're good at 20, turn it to "3" and see where you're at at 30 yds. 30 to 35 would be my limit, but I'd have to check 40 in case of coyote or other varmit, lol. Good luck!!

Sgt Mike 07-27-2007 06:52 PM

I shoot a Horton LegendHD175 with a Red Dot Sight. 0 to 20 yards the dial is set on 0, 20 to 30 yards I use 2, 30 to 40 yards it is set on 3.
Mike

b_in_atl 07-27-2007 08:45 PM

Wow, when you ask something you sure get answers around here. Anyone know if there is somewhere to download the Horton Manual foran Explorer crossbow? All I can find on their site is assembly instructions.

Upon further research I found several posts on AT that said when using the Horton cocking aid the rope would hit on the Dial-a-Range and turn the knob a click or two. If you didnt realize it then your aim would be way off. As awshucks alluded to, I found a post on AT that described how to disable it. I went ahead and disabled it and will just stick with my 3 Dot Scope.

awshucks 07-27-2007 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: b_in_atl

Wow, when you ask something you sure get answers around here. Anyone know if there is somewhere to download the Horton Manual foran Explorer crossbow? All I can find on their site is assembly instructions.

Upon further research I found several posts on AT that said when using the Horton cocking aid the rope would hit on the Dial-a-Range and turn the knob a click or two. If you didnt realize it then your aim would be way off. As awshucks alluded to, I found a post on AT that described how to disable it. I went ahead and disabled it and will just stick with my 3 Dot Scope.
That's where it got the name "Dial-A-Rage" lol. You guys ain't seen nothing til you try a Vari-zone, 10-50 yds spot on, easy to shoot the mid odd numbers too, like 25 and 35. The dang dots are too close together on those gizmo's for me.