Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Hunting with CB 1st time >

Hunting with CB 1st time

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Hunting with CB 1st time

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Hunting with CB 1st time

Ok, lets all assume I have bought the new and improved Pheonix Hd175 Pro Fusion limited edition package and am shooting 1/4 inch groups at a 1000 yards. Is there any other things I should know prior to hunting with one. Such as...Does windage affect it anymore than a compound. Any particular maintenance needed. Shoot it with or without a quiver??????? Or shut up and shoot it........
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting with CB 1st time

Join the Olympic shooting Team......
Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot w/o my quiver, same as when I was shooting a vertical bow. Probably the most useful maintenance item I learned was to reserve my own string. Thanks to Don's excellent post. I make sure that my string stays waxed and I silicone the deck after each trip to the range. With the Excalibur there isn't much else to do.

HH
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM

I would say things to remember is think of where your limbs will hit after you pull the trigger. When they swing out you need to remember your surroundings. I take my quiver off when i get into the stand, not because I think it affects my shot, but just cause I don't like it in the way. I would say windage is the same as any other Bow. Id also say get the Phoenix and shut up!! LOL!! Just Kidding! You will have fun and enjoy it!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM

I knew someone would bite on the shut up part...I dint think about the limbs hitting. I will be hunting mostly out of a shooting box. Good Point!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup Hot is right, don't let yer limbs hit nutten while shooting. Wax string end to end. If you get an Excal keep yer brace ht. within lines. Keep all thumbs and fingers below the string and rail! If you forget that it won't be foregotten after the string takes part of thumb or finger down range with it! Keep safety on until ready to shoot. Keep foot in stirrup while cocking. Don't try to cock Bow on a metal or smooth slick surface as the stirrup can slide every where.[8D]
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall
...Keep all thumbs and fingers below the string and rail! If you forget that it won't be foregotten after the string takes part of thumb or finger down range with it!
Forgot about this one! You will only do this once! At least I have so far! LOL!! Had a deer come in close range and off to my right. When I shot, your thumb can react fast enough to make you pull down the CB enough before the arrow is off the barrel to make a ten yard shot hit the ground half way between youand the deer! I did not lose part of my thumb, but was afraid to look at it when I first did it! It was numb for a couple of days afterward! That better be a one time experience for me! I like to try and blame deer fever on it! LOL!!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 PM

So should just go ahead and get this out of teh way during practice...Dont want to miss a deer....Im kidding of course. I bet that is something you will never forget. I would have to change me underwear I bet
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: scpatterson
...I would have to change me underwear I bet...
Sometimes you come to a point where it is better just to throw them in the trash and cut your losses! That was one of those times! LOL!!