HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   what to look for in a good crossbow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/197915-what-look-good-crossbow.html)

deerhunter4628 07-16-2007 03:50 PM

what to look for in a good crossbow?

Hey everybody, I'm new to the site. I have never crossbow hunted and dont know much about them and due to health problems i cant pull back a compound anymore. I was wondering who makes a good crossbow. And what do you look for to tell if its a good crossbow or not. I've heard Horton is good, Ten point, and the one by bowtech. Any others, and which do you recommend of all crossbows made.

Another question, do you need special broadheads for a crossbow or can you use ones made for regular bows.

one more question and this is more of a curiosity question. i know they make bolts for crossbows but is it ok to cut a arrow made for compound bows down to length and use it as abolt or are bolts madedifferently?

Any information given is appreciated.

smokepolehall 07-16-2007 08:25 PM

RE: what to look for in a good crossbow?

Excal's are the best so forget the rest! Ya i am a one point of view and won't change CB'sfer no one! Yup you can use same B'Heads just sight'em at your range of comfort. My max is 35 yds. on a calm deer. Yes you cut full length arrows off at where they were fletched end. I use alum. 2213's fer 3-D shoots and 2216's fer deer and my heavy logs 2219's fer anything i want to shoot thru and go 30 yds. the other side. I like Excal's cause they are simple to work on and the best CB fer yer money. Accurate and fast solid performing CB![8D]

scpatterson 07-17-2007 06:02 AM

From what I ahve read on here and other places Excal, Horton, and Ten Point have the best reviews. Best advice I have gotten so far "Get what ever is comfortable to you"
Oh welcome to the Forum

Planter 07-17-2007 06:51 AM

Having onlyhad my pheonix for about a year now. (Her birthday is just around the corner). I have to say I am one happy guy with my choice. I wanted something I could maintain myself andthis is the one. I can change the string in five minutes and be back flinging arrows.

Alot of these guys tweak their bows as much for fun as function, but I shootoff the shelf Easton Power Bolts ($4.99)with the same Rocket Steelheads I shoot with my regular compound and like most of my toys they shoot better than I do.

The bow has extended my confidence rangeto 30 yds although in the backyard 40 yds is pretty cake to. I made ranged shots of 22 yds and 31 yds last season and picked up the arrowsoff the ground and walked over to the still warm deer. A fat doe and not a bad buck and those deer sure did not hear the arrow sneaking up on them.. LOL

One thing for sure is that you will get alot of good advise here. Sort thru the droppings and you will be guided well.. >>>>>>Whack!!

xbowbarry 07-17-2007 07:12 AM

Hadthe sameExcalibur for 9 years now, that ought to tell ya something.
I started out with another popular brand, never knew where it was going to hit from day to day.Excals the one!

xbowbarry

smokepolehall 07-17-2007 10:48 AM

Hey:Djust look fer the word Excal![:o]

newguy23 07-17-2007 05:50 PM

I would go with Ten Points or Excal's... If you have a bunch of money to throw around buy the ten points... If you want the best bang for the buck look at the Excal's.

Hotburn76 07-17-2007 06:26 PM

I too am a new Excal user and am happy with it, alot better long range accuracy for the coons and rabbits, I would never think of shooting a rabbit or a coon at forty yards or longer before. You can use any cut down arrow on a CB, but you just have to keep from going to light and having a dry fire affect. Any CB you get should have a minimum arrow weight and if you stay with or above that you will be OK. B-Heads are the same, you just have to find the right combo just like you would with any other bow. Some work better than others.

ranger56528 07-17-2007 06:27 PM

Once again go with what feels good to you.I have both,a Pro Fusion from TenPoint AND a Excal Vortex.
I got the 10point so I would have the bestcompound for the buck.
AND
I got the Excal so I would have the bestRecurve for the buck.

I like both of them very much and would notchange a thing :eek:;)..Well mybe get the Phantom someday......

shewe 07-17-2007 08:04 PM

lots of good xbows out there. i love my exocet. what sold me was the ease of maintainence and the trigger breaks like glass. does'nt hurt that it can crack an aspirin at 20 yards either. hehe. welcome to the forum and good luck.:)