HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Cross Bow Advantages (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/192928-cross-bow-advantages.html)

chucker34 05-31-2007 08:27 AM

Cross Bow Advantages

Thinking about trying one for gun season in Minnesota now that they're legal here for gun season only. I hunt in a rural setting with lots of houses around and prefer not to use a gun for this set up. But I thought a cross bow would be fun.

What are the advantages versus my compound bow. I'm not looking to start a debate of bows versus crossbows, which is why I came to this forum. Just looking for some insight on why I may want to try a crossbow. Will it give me extended range, etc.?

awshucks 05-31-2007 09:13 AM

RE: Cross Bow Advantages

Lot's of opinions on this one, I'm sure. Here's mine. Don't know what your range is now, but most xbowers give it up at about 35 yds, and much prefer 35 feet. The accuracy and k.e. is there for longer shots on game that is not as likely to string jump as deer are.A good example is my Excal Emax. Rated at 350 fps w/ stock Excal arrows, I use a heavier one at about 325 fps.I can get 3" groups at 50 yds from a rest, but the arrow rises so far to compensate for trajectory at that range, it completely goes out of view in scope. Might try a yote, rabbit, turkey that far, but never a deer. Good luck!

Hotburn76 05-31-2007 06:05 PM

The only true advantage I have ever seen is not having to draw on game. Another advantage I see with them is the makers want the users to be set up and ready to go from the beginning. Unlike Compounds where you look at a wall of stuff and see a thousand choices and the dealer looks at you, smiles and says "what would you like to try, everyone says they all work, we just have to find what works for you" I always considered that a rip off in my opinion. A CB runs out of gas real fast compared to a Compound, plus the noise factor makes for string jump real easy. I have shot all mine less then twenty I think, most less then ten. Thirty would be my max on a calm deer if I was desperate.

Pydpiper 05-31-2007 06:43 PM

The biggest advantage to a crossbow is the knowledge of the people that are out there using them. I shoot guns, compounds and crossbows, the crossbow people are consistant, well informed and always there to help.
I mostly hunt from a blind, so for me to call the lack of a string draw an advantage would be unfair, I could do jumping jacks before I shoot regardless of what is in my hand. Compound is faster and more accurite, but requires a bit more practice for some people. Crossbows are consistant short range weapons, and a whole lot of fun!

tkstae 05-31-2007 06:48 PM

For me, I think the lack of movment during those last few moments is the major advantage in hunting whitetail with a crossbow. It allows me to sit quitely with my back to a treewithout being noticed as long asthe wind is in my favor.I dolike hunting from a tree stand, but there are times when hunting in the hills and hollows of my Missouri Ozarks that it's just as effective to sit overlooking a good creekbottom with my back to a tree, and easier than dragging my climber up and down all these hills. All my deer were taken less than 20yds.

Dnk 05-31-2007 09:06 PM

I see the biggest advantage to being that when its really cold I don't have the interfering bulky clothing when I am drawing. I find that I am more accurate with a compound. As Jason said there is a whole lot less accessories to buy for a comound. There's just too much fiddling with a compound and when you blow a shot with one you really hit badly. In a crossbow the result of a bad shot isn't nearly so bad. To me they are all fun to shoot but you have to practice more with a compound to remain affective.

chucker34 06-01-2007 12:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Interesting to hear. I will keep toying with the idea I think and probably make a purchase this Summer. Again, i can only use it for gun season but like trying new things.

Pydpiper 06-01-2007 03:05 PM

You can only use bows in gun season? EEk!!
Glad I don't live where you do..

lemoyne 06-01-2007 05:07 PM

When you master them the accuracy is much more consistant with less pratice,the disadvantage that goes with that is that x-bows are much more awkwarded. Lee

ranger56528 06-03-2007 07:17 AM

Its a start for us in Mn anyway.....Also in 09 if I dont get a Disability permit again I will still be able to use my crossbow....Hopefully by then they will have extended the crossbow season.......