Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Cross Bow Advantages >

Cross Bow Advantages

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cross Bow Advantages

Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cross Bow Advantages

I am so tired of not being able to comment on subjects like this. [&:] My shoulder is doing better and I hope within the next 2 weeks to be able to finally shoot my bow. Hunting season is only a dream at this point. I get to use my Xbow during bow season only because I'm a gimp. That's CA for ya.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Ranger, or anyone, what do you think will happen with the crossbow situation in MN? Do you think they'll try this out (crossbow only duringregular gun season)as a test and rescind it a year or two down the road? I'd be teed off if I dropped good money on a crossbow only to be told I can't use it the next year. I don't care if it's only during gun season for awhile but want to be able to use it at least every year.

If I buy it, I think I will sign up for the state's crossbow hunter's association and help lobby. Also, I wouldn't see why crossbows couldn't be extended through the rest of the year - end of December - as bow season is after the regular gun season. That's typically not "prime time" anyway and the bow hunters who complain a crossbow is not primitive (unlike inline muzzleloaders ) shouldn't be too worked up as long as we wouldn't be infringing on the early season.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Chucker – We would love to have you in the Minnesota Association of Crossbow Hunters (MACH). We worked really hard on getting the crossbow legislation passed even though we got less than what we were after.

Our state has 80,000 bowhunters and the main opposition to the crossbow has 400 members and a large portion of those favor the inclusion of the crossbow in the archery season. However, the leadership of that organization has seen fit to ignore the wishes of those members (understandable since they are obviously stupid) and labor to prevent the freedom of choice for the hunter of Minnesota. In our fair state, one can use a pistol, a shotgun, a rifle, black powder, a long bow, a recurve and a compound to take a deer. It’s about time that they included the crossbow. And since a crossbow is obviously archery equipment since it is a short range weapon and shoots an arrow with a string, it only makes sense that it be included either in the archery season or be given a season of its own.

Over the next year we are going to be working for a season "of its own". That would create additional income for the DNR and they would have the ability to manage the length of the season at will. It would also provide crossbow specific documentation in categories like how many crossbow hunters are there in Minnesota, how successful are they, how many does and bucks are they harvesting, what ages are the hunter using the crossbow etc., etc.. It would be good for all involved.

One of the best benefits of the new crossbow season is going to be the first hand education that the Minnesota hunter is going to receive from hands-on experience. They will quickly find that the bovine excrement that has been shoveled upon them from the anti-crossbow camp is exactly that. A lot of those nay-sayers are going to lose credibility and respect. Education will expose them for exactly what they are.

Also once people begin to discover just how fun crossbows are to hunt with, the movement will grow. One of the things that will help make further expansion possible, is becoming a member of MACH. Even if you don’t get actively involved, the more people that we have as paid members, the more clout we will have to affect change. I believe part of the reason we have the season we just got was that when I testified at the state capitol, I was asked how many members we had. When I replied 257 I believe I sensed surprise on the part of the legislators sitting in that room. The representative that asked the number question volleyed back that there were half a million hunters in Minnesota so 257 was nothing. When I asked him how many members the state bowhunting organization had he replied 400 and I said "There you go!" If we pick up another 150 members we will be just as strong as they are and will be representing an equal number of voters. And to a legislator, votes are what its all about.

I know from personal experience, doing shows, speaking at Sportsman clubs and hosting crossbow workshops, that there are more people in Minnesota in favor of the crossbow than there are against it, we just have to organize. One person cannot bring about change, it takes a team or an army if you will. The current members are not satisfied with the small bite of the pie we got a couple of weeks ago. We are going back for more and the greater our numbers to help make telephone calls, send emails and go to the capitol to testify, the more successful we will be. Sounds like you and I should get together, Chucker. My telephone number and my email are in the signature below. If you want to make a difference, we would love to have you on board. Give me a call. I would enjoy hearing from you.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM

DJH, Thanks. I will take you up on that and give you an e-mail or call very soon. I have enjoyed reading your field journals on here.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

chucker34.I beleave the more people thereare to understand the crossbow the better it will get,with the short season we have now I think it will only be time before they see that the crossbow will have little impact on the season and I beleave it will be added into the archery season.
I am also new to the crossbow and bought a TenPoint ProFusion so I didnt spend all that money to not hunt even tho I will get a temp disabilty permit for 07 and 08 and more then likely continue to CB hunt only(I have kept my recurves and longbow),sold my compounds to buy the TenPoint and some extras...
It will take people like us to set a example for the rest of the state.....
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

DJH....I am also interested in MACH.......
Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

WONDERFUL - LET'S GIT ER DONE!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM

First and most important advantage is that you do not have to draw the bow in view of the animal or hold the bow at full draw. Because you do not have to draw in front of game, ground hunting becomes a strong option.

As far as distance goes, it seems traditional archers limit themselves to 20 yards, compounds 30 yards, while crossbows seem comfortable out to 40 yards. However, many factors including; the game hunted, the area which is being hunted, weather, user ability, ect all play a part in effective range. Many of the areas I hunt, shots are all under 20 yards so any advantage goes unused.

Most of today crossbows have so much KE that being concerned if you have enough is a waste of time. Modern crossbows are able to take any game animal that walks on this planet.

Another advantage is that you may find it eaiser to gain permission to hunt with a crossbow, than a firearm.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post never thought about the land use factor,thanks![8D]
Old 06-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it would be helpful or not I do not know, but AR went through this a long time ago and the history with the numbers you mentioned are available to the public on the State Fish and game page on the internet.
http://www.agfc.com/data-facts-maps/reports.aspx
The x-bow season has been part of the archery season here for some years and it shows that the bottom line changes very little its just a matter of what you prefer if you once get the simple minded past their prejudice.
Lee

Quick Reply: Cross Bow Advantages

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.