Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 turning inserts??? >

turning inserts???

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

turning inserts???

Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default turning inserts???

Guys what is the best way to turn my inserts on carbon arrows, i want to index my fixed blade broadheads to get consistent flight out of all my hunting bolts, anyone have good advice for this?????
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: turning inserts???

You would have to completely remove them, clean, then reassemble to maintain the integrity of the nock.
Do you know how to remove them? It would require the same tools as it would to turn.
It is possible to just turn them a bit, but it would weaken the whole combination.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Spike

thanks pydpiper, no how do i remove them wothout damage to the bolt??
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

There was an excellent thread on nock removal/replacement a while back, I will try to dig it up when I get home from work later..

I just re-read your original post.. I have tried to align vanes to blades before and found it did absolutly nothing for the flight of the arrow. However, I am a firm believer that any fine tuning you do to your arrows will increase your confidence, and that has a major impact on arrow flight.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't heat up ends on carbon shafts or arrows! They become damaged, which makes them a danger.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Spike

just went back to aluminum bolts and it was way easier to index the heads and to get a much better spin out of the heads, xx78 2216's with 125 wasp sst out front,w/4"feathers left helical ,5 degrees----my f.o.c. is way better and the flight was spot on,using broadhead spinner was the way to go to get perfect spinners, i think 2219's would be tougher but thats what i had, oh there 431 grains total,speed.....
Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a difference whatsoever. What happens with two and four blade broad heads? What happens when the arrow rotates and the vortex comes off the broadhead and not directly behind the broadhead? I makes sense to me that you don't want the air disturbance of the broadhead to hit the vanes. I would think that that would be counter productive. Like Pydpiper said. If it gives you confidence then go for it.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: speedball

just went back to aluminum bolts and it was way easier to index the heads and to get a much better spin out of the heads, xx78 2216's with 125 wasp sst out front,w/4"feathers left helical ,5 degrees----my f.o.c. is way better and the flight was spot on,using broadhead spinner was the way to go to get perfect spinners, i think 2219's would be tougher but thats what i had, oh there 431 grains total,speed.....
Speed: Thanks for the data, which I find very interesting. I'm shooting carbon GT's w/ 100 gr points and 4" vanes, which also weigh 431 gr total. I'm curious as what your foc is, mine's about 18-20%. W/ feathers being lighter than vanes, and your 125 gr b-head, your shafts must be a tad lighter than mine, hence more foc??? Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Spike

awshucks right around 21% foc man if that doesnt make a difference i'm donald trump, at first the broadheads spun good anywhere but rotating the glue and finding the cock vane down and blade at 12:00 the combo is nasty accurate i can repetedly hit a 1" square piece of 200 mph tape on the block at 20 and 25 yards with the wasps i really like the blades sharpness too i can say for sure they are sharp!! ooch! my finger still hurts, gotta be anal about the spin too look as closely as possible at the tips if the are right the look like a ball bearing at the front,speed.............