Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Started refurbing the Crisbow >

Started refurbing the Crisbow

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Started refurbing the Crisbow

Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Started refurbing the Crisbow

I got it all apart, my first impression is that is is built heavier than my Daco. The next thing is the limbs, I would swear they were some sort of steel..?
The other thing, and probably the coolest is the scope rail, it has a wheel to spin the rail up and down. This would be a factory way of shimming up the scope, not only does it have 5 reticles but you can shim the rear of the scope up .30" just by spinning a wheel, then lower it to it's exact spot again. I will post pictures when I figure out where I left my camera last night..
This was part of a bulk thing from my father in law, there were also 4 arrows, trashed fletching and very unique (kinda cool) broad heads. The funny thing is that there is a "game tracker" mounted to this old girl, one of the things that keep a string attached to the arrow for a trail.. They were connected by a small wire loop between the broad head and the arrow!! You will get to see that gem too.
My next job is to work this lefty of a stock into an ambidextrous, I have it all figured out, sorta.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Started refurbing the Crisbow

Good luck on your project,just finnished up a 1947 bamboo fly rod mfg
in Rolla Mo.found it at a garage sale,5.00!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Here are a couple pictures, one of the rail, and one of the broad head. The rail is in the upright position, you can see the two hole in the back where a pin goes when it rests flat again, Interesting concept for target shooters. The broad heads seem to spin pretty true, the blades are very thin but still perfectly straight, you can see the wire used to attach the game tracker string, I may be wrong, but I suspect that may have altered it's flight..
Tonight I will start working on the stock, it is going to be difficult to keep the integrity of the wood if I shave too much off to allow a right hand to get a good grasp on it.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

David, I thought those Broadheads were illegal in Canada?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing illegal about these, the law is at least 2 straight steel blades, no serrations. These blades are straight,unserrated steel.
Not that I have any intention of using them, but if I chose to, I could.

Do you know of these Reb?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Started return the Crossbow

ORIGINAL: Piedpiper

Nothing illegal about these, the law is at least 2 straight steel blades, no serrations. These blades are straight,unserrated steel.

All I know about them is that the Top edges have to be 90* to the ferruleand or Shank for Canada.

Dave I read and posted an article on here which I cannot find now! I believe itpertains to Ontario only.

Question: Are serrated blades the same as barbed heads which are illegal in many states?

Answer: Serrated heads are legal worldwide except in Ontario, Canada. Serrated heads should not be confused with barbed heads which refer to the rear edge of the blade. That edge cannot form an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule. In other words the rear edge cannot angle forward. Some newer heads on the market have forgotten this small detail and thier heads are illegal in many states and foreign countries.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

All I know about them is that the Top edges have to be 90* to the ferruleand or Shank for Canada.
I think that laws says they have to be 90* is the minimum. It can be greater then 90* like the one David has just can't be less then 90* creating a barb effect. If that was the case guys in Canada could only use one B-head and that is the Tight Point. It is the only one I know of that has a 90* angle to the ferrule. All the other heads like Muzzy, G5, Magnus, Steel Force, Wasp and Nap have a slightly better then 90* they are close but they are more like 95 to 100*. They all have that 90* rule to prevent the use of serrated heads being used. It also has to be 90* or greater to allow for the head to come back out if a complete pass through was not achieved and the animal did not die. If it is 90* or greater then they think the animal should be able to pull or work the arrow out. If it is less then 90* then the arrow will stay stuck in and then we would have a bunch of deer with arrows hanging out of there butts! It is allowed for the head to be more then 90*. If it had to be 90* on the money alot of guys up north would be crying foul since none of them are 90* and all have a slight angle greater then 90*
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know where that came from, but it is not true. Perhaps it is old?
The law here in Ontario is:
"There must be at least two cutting edges of straight, sharp, unserrated, barbless steel."
Period, nothing less, nothing more.
I can say this with confidence because I went to the biggest MNR guy in Ontario with a question about these Grim Reapers:
http://www.spintite.com/hyperspeed.html
and after a huge discussion about them (8 pages of correspondence)he finally had to go for a second opinion before giving me a go ahead. This broad head, although the primary blades are not what the law requires are completely legal. The photo shows the primary blades curved, if that was all the broad head had than it would not be allowed in Ontario for big game. But if you look close, there are tiny (and I mean tiny) blades between the curved main blades that are indeed straight, and for that reason they do conform tothe law and are legal to use here in Ontario for big game. I have my entire correspondence recorded. These guys skirted the law by adding the tiny blades, so now they have" at least two straight, sharp cutting edges, of unserrated steel" Funny how that works, but I am not speculating or guessing, I have official word from the guy who's offical word counts.
The 90* thing must be outdated, I am reading right now from my current regulation summary, the bible of the hunting world.

Canada is a big place, our laws and regulations change from provence to provence, just like they would from State to State. I can only speak for Ontario, but it is certainly not second hand information, I got it myself, from the top.

I don't mean to come off as confrontational, but I put a lot of time into understanding this particular law, so back off, I am right.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:46 PM

Here is Ontario's PDF file on the Archery rules, page 2 tells about the heads and Like Dave said it says nothing about the 90* thing, it could be outdated and old.

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.asp?Document_ID=10691&Attachment_ID=20514
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are probably the worst broadheads I've ever had the displeasure to mount on an arrow. Satellite Aeroheads. Those %&*! things soured me on replaceable blade heads for years. I don't understand why the trailing edge profile makes 'em illegal, seems silly in fact,but they should be illegal just because they're so crummy. Blade retention is horrid.

Quick Reply: Started refurbing the Crisbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.