Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why Crossbows???? >

Why Crossbows????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why Crossbows????

Old 04-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Default RE: Why Crossbows????

Hi Killer Primate, next time you get the chance,[link]http://www.atlatl.com[/link], when I can hunt with one of those, I'll stsrt talking trash!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate
The compound bow is somewhere between the traditional bows and the cross bow, as far as difficulty goes. The shotgun is somewhere between the rifle and the cross bow. The rife is somewhere between the shotgun and the grocery store meat isle. On the other end, the spear would be more challenging than the traditional bow, and a knife would be impossible, I guess…
I am sorry, but I have to totally disagree with that statement above. The crossbow and the vertical compound is generally equal in the advantages which they give the hunters over the traditional bows (recurve or longbow .... but actually the crossbow is just as traditional as the other two, just look at the history of bows). These advantages are different, sometimes the crossbow will gove you a better advantage, and other times it would be the vertical compound which gives you the most advantages.

Before you say that you do not have to draw the bow back in the presence of the game, there are just too many hunters out there now that use either popup blinds or fixed shooting boxes (stands) where they are out of site to be able to really claim that fact. The claim that the crossbow uses a trigger, well a few years ago, I read an artical that over 80% of vertical compound shooters use a triggering release with their bow.

The use of the crossbow and the vertical compound would be listed as an equal as an hunting tool. The pros & cons of both equal out the advantages of each.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76
Now you said why and then said bowhunting fanatic and choose archery. If when typing this you mean CB's as part of archery and just want to understand why, then I misunderstood you from the beginning and will say sorry. I took it as your form of hunting is archery, more skill, you arechallenged moreand mine is not archery and not a challenge. Was that what you meant? Please explain, you sound like a good guy, but like me are defending right? Again please explain so I can understand your original post.
When I said this I was trying to humble myself and give you the opportunity to say I was wrong. If you said I was wrong with this post, I was and am willing to say I misunderstood and say sorry in public forum. I amsorry this post was so confusing.

As to your question I answered it in the bottom of my first long post but copy it for you to see once again.

I will now tell you why I use a CB. When I was fifteen I think, I was nuts about hunting. A friend had a old compound and he sold it to me for 25 bucks! My disadvantage was no one in my family had ever long or compound bow hunted. I had a hard time and dad could see my frustration mounting. So for Christmas I was given my first Horton. I was able to learn fast and hit the target great! But I did not get my first deer until I was eighteen, I needed to learn the 20 yard game, and did. I then continued to use the CB for about five years until a new friend exposed me to tree stand hunting. He used a compound and was willing to teach me. I had the same experience as DNK'sfriend Pype did. Pulled it back at twenty yards and hit the center. Did it several times. But as with DNK's bow, this was set up right so it worked correctly. Had a peep set up and a release so how could I go wrong. But I could not see myself in a stand trying to use it, and pull it back on a deer, which I think is the only advantage a CB has over a Compound. I also thought it would suck to do with alot of clothes on, some call it a challenge, I call it not needed for me. So I stayed with my Horton. I then went out a bought my Martin Dreamcast. I really enjoyed shooting it. But I disliked having to shoot it as much as needed to keep up the form and such. I enjoy target practice as much as the next guy, but I have no desire to be in love with my target in my back yard everyday. I was pretty good with my Martin, but I would still get a few "fliers" now and then, which I considered unacceptable and unwilling to do to a deer. So I use a CB for the fact that I do not have to spend all summer in my backyard to get some what good. My CB is a nock buster plain and simple. I can do it with the arrows that is recommended. I do not have to be bounced around with what someone thinks I should be using, Horton has provided me with a proven arrow, and it works. I know that with 100% faith that when I pull the trigger, or as most compound guys call it, a release, I know where my arrow will go. No BS story from me about my bow being off, of the string must have hit my coat and the excuses go on and on for people that miss. I have total confidence with my CB.

I will try and make this my last post. My good friend is giving me advice and maybe I have been working to much lately andstarting to speak a different language. Sorry that what I am saying is so confusing, but I thought I asked simple questions, but I guess I have not. Take care and enjoy.

Jason

Edit for spelling, sorry guys.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys please, please, please lets take this thread north rather than south. If we take one step back this could be an awsome thread.
Lets keep the battling in PM form for a change. Yeah me included! There is some intellegent exchange here and yes some minor insults but we could all do better!
Ok, let me put it this way. If you guys don't calm down you'll see me at your door with this killer beside me! Belive me guys, he's got some pretty mean friends too!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason: gotta tell ya I think you misread this guy. Looks to me like he just started an archery only pay to hunt thing in Texas and is trying to see if opening it to xbows will cost him part of the vert crowd.

Montana Dave: Read the other thread on bowhunting. Was amazed at the open mindedness from the vert crowd. Let me ask a few questions here. What organizations are against bowhunting?? Answer: PETA and HSUS. What organizations are against xbow hunting?? The list grows dramatically, includes P&Y [greatest threat to bow hunting] all the Bowsite forums, PBHS, ect. Some actually go so far as to try and get the current rules/regs repealed to omit xbows altogether. I'm guessing here, but am fairly sure I have it figured out. You are opening a new pay-to-hunt place for archery only.[GREAT] Your questions are to try and figure out if the vert crowd would shun your offer if you included xbows. Am I close here?? As I think you are coming to the conclusion that it's actually a very vocal minority that are opposed to xbows, it all comes down to much ado about nothing. Your thread here ran for about 10 pages as I type this, and basically only one xbower took exception/misunderstood you and your reasons. Those are far better odds than we normally deal w/.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM

After I maid the last post I sent some pm's. Came back and found two of my most trusted sources confirming my PM to them and they have not had time to reply back yet to them yet. They are probably typing as I am typing this! LOL!!

With that being said and Dave not having a chance to post back I must say that to many people are seeing it the way I have not so me being a man of majority rules, I must say I am wrong.

Will say sorry to you Dave, in public that I must have misunderstood you from the beginning. Iam so used to being attacked by the vertical crowd I just placed you in it and started from there. I wish your new ranch the best of luck and sorry for the confusion I created!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

After I maid the last post I sent some pm's. Came back and found two of my most trusted sources confirming my PM to them and they have not had time to reply back yet to them yet. They are probably typing as I am typing this! LOL!!

With that being said and Dave not having a chance to post back I must say that to many people are seeing it the way I have not so me being a man of majority rules, I must say I am wrong.

Will say sorry to you Dave, in public that I must have misunderstood you from the beginning. Iam so used to being attacked by the vertical crowd I just placed you in it and started from there. I wish your new ranch the best of luck and sorry for the confusion I created!
Well Dave, how big a guy are ya????? All's well that ends well!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Dave, if you don't come to the table I'll have to send this after you! Hey, don't worry you won't suffer very long!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk you gotta love that killer dog,great looking pup,you can send him
down here anytime you want!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote170

Dnk you gotta love that killer dog,great looking pup,you can send him
down here anytime you want!
Here's one tearing my finger off!

Quick Reply: Why Crossbows????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.