HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Horton response - What's your thought? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/186179-horton-response-whats-your-thought.html)

Sgt Mike 03-27-2007 06:23 PM

Horton response - What's your thought?

I mentioned on a earlier post that my newLegend had about a 1/4 cup of water in the stock. I asked the Horton folks for their thought on where the water came from and how to check the trigger parts for moisture. They want me to call get and return authorization. I see no need to return the bow and replied asking for the directions on checking the trigger for moisture. Since I hunt in the rain it would be a good idea to have the directions . Right, Wrong.
Horton responded (Can not give that information out ).
What do think of their response?
Mike

10ptCrossbow 03-27-2007 07:09 PM

RE: Horton response - What's your thought?

I would guess that the water came from the camo dipping process. It does seem silly that they would not tell you how to properly take care of your bow. They were probably in a situation where they wanted the bow back to get it fixed and make sure they know what happen. If they give you the info, they don't get a good look at the bow.
that would be my guess.

Hotburn76 03-27-2007 07:21 PM

I would agree that they want it back to find out what went wrong with there process. If it was a common problem they would probably say don't worry about it and go on, but if its rare they want to check it out and see it. I would highly doubt they will give you the trigger info you want. Most CB makers warn against messing with the triggers. I would say they do not want to give you the trigger info out of fear you put it back together wrong, then the bow fails and you sue them, its what Americans do in this day and age.

GrumpyTom 03-27-2007 07:22 PM

10ptCrossbow makes a few good points with his reply.

But mostly I believe that it is more about liability and dependability with the bow. If they tell you how to work on the trigger and then someone gets hurt, then they could be liable. Also, if nothing is done, and something is wrong which causes an injury, again they could be liable.

I do not know how their triggers are, or how durable they are, but a little water should not hurt them (like rain or if it got dunked in a lake). But if the trigger was submerged for a while, some corrosion might occur.

If I remember correctly, your bow was brand new. What I would do is document the bow fully and then request another brand new bow to replace this one. I would also request "return authorization" with prepaid costs and the new bow sent over night once they receive the bow you sent back. But I would get a new bow, I would not want this one any more.

10ptCrossbow 03-27-2007 07:49 PM

His original post asked about checking for moisture. I did not read that as he wanted to take the trigger apart. If that was the case, then no, they will not tell you that. As soon as you take apart a TenPoint trigger, you have voided thge warranty. Trigers are tricky at best and that is something that should be handled by the factory. I read it as he wanted to make sure his trigger was dry, or how to get it dry. That is a whole different deal.
I doubt they will overnite him anything, but they may replace it with a new one. Everybody wants there stuff overnited and let me tell you, that is just not cost effective or possible. Typically UPS gets to most of the east in 3 days at the worst. 2 days is very common.

Dnk 03-27-2007 08:18 PM

Mike for all the reasons above a responsible thing to do is to send it back as per instructions. In my business if something goes wrong my customers listen to me and do as instructed because what is good for them is good for me and what might be bad for them might be bad for me. Horton doesn't want to take any chances and probably wants to see what went wrong. I understand their position, try to understand theirs. You bought a Horton so its more like us rather than you and them. I would ask for compensation, your time and effort is worth something.
Don

GrumpyTom 03-28-2007 06:37 AM

10ptCrossbow, Sgt. Mike asked:

I asked the Horton folks for their thought on where the water came from and how to check the trigger parts for moisture.
which was why I assumed he wanted to take the trigger apart. The only way to check and see if there was any water damage (corrission, rust, dirt particles) inside the trigger would be to do an internal check of the trigger.

As for your saying:

I doubt they will overnite him anything, but they may replace it with a new one
and that

that is just not cost effective or possible.
will all depend on how the company feels about their customers. This problem could be a very serious safety problem. None of us know how the water got in there. Was the bow submerged for an extended period of time (worse case senerio). We do not know and I truly believe that they do not either,

But the thing is, a customer bought a bow (their bow) in good faith and expects it to be working properly. It is probably noting major wrong with the bow, but none of us know. Now the customer has to be without his bow while it is shipped back (time in shipping) then wait for them to check it over and then ship it back, well in my opinion, that is truelly unfair to him. The bow was supposed to be new and in good condition, not with water inside. They should, if they care about their customer, in this case get a new bow back to him as soon as they could to keep him happy and not make him wait any longer.

What is the cost to a company (when they are in the wrong) in customer service. Minor cost to increase the shipping to overnight to kep the customer happy compared to a dissatisfied customer whonext time might buy their competitor's bow. Requesting overnight with a new bow (after they receive the return) is not unreasonable.

awshucks 03-28-2007 06:38 AM

I've never had a Horton apart, but would think a blast of air and some WD-40 would work to displace moisture, followed w/ some decent lube like "Tri-Flow". I'm 2 for 3 w/ Horton. They replaced a xbow scope twice w/ no problems, fast and polite service. The third time, I called them because bud's HD 175 wouldn't shoot b-heads any where near field points and they didn't have a clue why and told me to use mechanicals, yet they included fixed blade b-heads w/ package he bought. A company is only as good [or bad] as the person you talk to when you have a problem, a fact well recognized by some companies like 10 pt and Excal. You NEVER hear about a problem w/ customer service from either of them.

Edited to add: Both times Horton told me my product would be back in transit w/in 48 hrs of their receiving it and it was. I recently sent the limbs and riser off of my Phoenix in to Dan Miller and had them back in 6 days total. One dry fire too many, lol, no charge, and he replaced diss bars too. I personally think over nighting is a bit much to ask, especially in the off season.

Sgt Mike 03-31-2007 05:36 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was a little upset with the Horton reply.
Clarification: I did not request instructions to disassemble the trigger. I only asked instructionsto inspect it for water, rust and lubricate if necessary. Also I felt they should have responded to the water issue. I also feel it was not handled properly during the camo process.
TKX, Mike