HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Compound or Recurve (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/184900-compound-recurve.html)

joeyd50 03-17-2007 04:58 AM

Compound or Recurve

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what's the advantage of a compound crossbow? I'm new to crossbows, but been bow hunting for 30 years always shooting a compound. When it came time to get a xbow I was all ready to get one of the name brand compounds, till I started reading about them and asking questions, I ended up with a Excalibur Vixen. I just could not find any advantages a compound would have over a recurve. I asked this question on Pa. Outdoors and got no response.
Joe

Hotburn76 03-17-2007 05:10 AM

RE: Compound or Recuirve

Compounds in design are more efficient with draw weight to speed ratio. A Horton compound 175 Shoots at 325 FPS and a Excal recurve 200 shoots at 330 FPS. You can get more speed with less draw weight. They are also a little better on the width. But after saying all this I have plans on buying a Excal this late spring or summer. The recurve has less moving parts that can affect your shot and with the recurve you do not need a press to service your bow. They are wider, but when cocked it is only three more inches I think. That may not be everything but its what I have been told and read on the net.

lemoyne 03-17-2007 08:32 AM

RE: Compound or Recuirve

There is one thing that Hotburn 76 did not mention that I can think of that might be considered an advantage thats that the draw weight is evened out more on at least some I know it is on my 10point. There are also some disadvantages to compounds they are louder and harder to quiet down [I also have an Exocet] and my personal belief is that the minimal up keep and the fact that repairs are almost unheard of make the excalibers an excellant choice ,the price comparison does not hurt them a bit either. Lee

GrumpyTom 03-17-2007 08:40 AM

RE: Compound or Recurve

Hi Joe

Basicly the biggest advantage that a compound gives you is the let off in the vertical bows (very big advantage) so you do not need to hold the full draw weight of the bow. But in a crossbow that advantage is not required.

Compound Croosbows
Advantages
- little shorter in width
- drawing string is lighter at the top when cocking
- speed /poundage ratio is better

Disadvantages
- heavier
- the balance is usually more front loaded
- more moving parts (cables, pullies)
- dependant on a shop for maintaince or repairs
- Chances of surviving a dryfire are slim to non without damage

Recurve crossbow
Advantages
- usually lighter
- slimplistic design.
- can do the maintaince and repairs yourself
- Usually will survive a dryfire (with quality bows and not single limb bows)
- Balance is usually better

disadvantages
- a little wider in width

I hope this helps you understand some of the differences between the two bows. I know that I missed some differences, but these are the most prominent.

Rebel Hog 03-17-2007 08:55 AM

Nicely explained! Thanks Tom.

Dnk 03-17-2007 09:02 AM

Not much to add here. Well maybe one, compounds are easier on the string serving but then who cares? Re-serving is just plain easy for both bows. In reality you only need serving material. You don't really need a serving tool. Oh yeah, the recurve will withstand more shots in its life time but thats only if you are an arrow junkie.

scaupstopper 03-21-2007 05:51 AM

I am new in the market too. Is it that the new recurves are better than the old? I have an older 150 pound barnett that I wouldnt shoot at a deer past 50 yards with.

How does the accuracy compare between the two? What about arrow drop?

smokepolehall 03-21-2007 02:18 PM

I wouldn't think of shooting at a deer at 50 yds. with any CB or Bow!

Dnk 03-21-2007 04:49 PM

Acutally Mike its the whitetail you shouldn't shoot at 50 yards but I am sure you knew that. Mulies are quite lethargic by comparison. Out west a 50 yard or more shot is quite common with a bow.
I forgot to qualify my earlier post. With the acception of the Paradox and its variants they all hold a lesser weight at full cock. Again with that one acception they all have a degree of let off. Like my compounds vert bows compound crossbows do not hold full weight at full cock which is why the compound crossbow is easier on the servings.

smokepolehall 03-21-2007 06:20 PM

Mule Deer! I have herd of them,:D. I must take a hunt fer them in the future.