HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Coyote hunting tomorrow! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/184861-coyote-hunting-tomorrow.html)

Pydpiper 03-16-2007 04:59 PM

Coyote hunting tomorrow!

Met a guy in the range that is new in town, we exchanged numbers and now tomorrow we are going to hunt some coyotes on my brother in laws farm.
This guy is a vertical bow shooter so between him and I we may have a better chance.. I have put on my St. Patrick's day string (green and white) and snugged up the Slicks..:DI read everything I can on the predator, and bought every tool possible to bring them to me.. In this case we will be hunting a recently departed calf..
I want so badly to make one dead, OK, two.

squirrelkilla23 03-16-2007 05:03 PM

RE: Coyote hunting tomorrow!

do alot of calling on ridges where you can see them before they smell you, they trust their smell 200x better than their sight. try to get setup where they cant get downwind at all. They might not come right to the calf if it's recently dead. They will be curious but dont expect them to jump on it like Don on a 24 ounce porterhouse steak :D good luck and take pics!

Dnk 03-16-2007 05:06 PM

Hey Squirrel! I don't eat beef! Just wild game. How are you? Been busy hitting the books?

Pydpiper 03-16-2007 05:28 PM

This old farm was severed in two when a new highway went in (403), I have not been there before, so hopefully we can get an advantageous spot.. I think there has been a fairly steady supply of coyote attractants around there, learned some stuff about cows I never really wanted to know.

Didn't realize I had a St Patrick's day string until I dug in.. What other holidays did you set me up for Don?:D

awshucks 03-16-2007 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

This old farm was severed in two when a new highway went in (403), I have not been there before, so hopefully we can get an advantageous spot.. I think there has been a fairly steady supply of coyote attractants around there, learned some stuff about cows I never really wanted to know.

Didn't realize I had a St Patrick's day string until I dug in.. What other holidays did you set me up for Don?:D
Don't tell us you didn't get a Valentines Day string?? Pink and dark chocolate brown?:D:D:D

Dnk 03-16-2007 06:44 PM

Good luck David!

awshucks 03-16-2007 07:15 PM

Ditto's on the Good Luck, I was so busy poking funI forgot. When we hunted them w/ rifles in Illinois, early am and late pm was prime time, they seem to lay up during the day.

lemoyne 03-16-2007 07:33 PM

Some times you can can them from a deer stand,I like one on high ground where the scent blows out over water. Lee

Rebel Hog 03-16-2007 08:42 PM

Yotes?..............Yikes!

txhoghunter 03-16-2007 08:43 PM

pyd, ive been on several dairy/cattle ranches before and its a trip how they still do things like way back when, 1 time i got sent to 1 and ask me to dig a 10x20x 20 pit with a backhoe, i keep on wondering what it was used for.........well 2hours later i found out, they dig the holes and burn the dead dairy cows(most where dead from old age), they burn them so the yotes dont get em, so u might wanna ask where they dispose of the cows and set up on the perimeter, and use some calls their, bet them yotes will move in quick.......good luck hope u can get some pics of a few dead ones....