Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broad heads

Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broad heads

Hey all I was wondering do the broadheads shoot the same way as a regular bow from a cross bow, do you have to tune your broadheads as with a regular Bow. or can you use just any broad head and have them shoot the same ?Thansk for any and all info
John
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broad heads

Hmm.. once an arrow leaves any bow it develops a mind of it's own. Are you asking if a crossbow somehow makes arrows fly straighter? If so, no.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

If your broadheads are launched at a higher speed then you may have trouble. Well under 300 ft/sec the broadheads don't seem to mind. My Exocet 200 can crank them out above 300 and some broadheads don't seem to like it. Experiment seems to be the name of the game. I've found that mechanicals fly well as do the Razor Caps, Magnus Stingers, G5 Striker and the Slick Tricks. You'll get many opinions on this subject.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found out the hard way that some of the cheap ones from W****** are made off center and fly a cork screw pattern. I went back to Satillites and Thunderheads . Lee
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Hi all
My dad just got a cross bow since turnig 65 and he shot it at my place over the weekend. here's the issue, 20yds field tips right on. # blade muzzy's shot 5 inches low with same weight, more than 1 arrow all shot 5" low at 20 yds. Then he shot one of his rocky expandables and it too shot 4-5 " low. This was from a sitting position with sticks to steady his rest and all, so I know it was the broadhead. Then he shot a 125 grain fieldtip and it ws only about 1" low as compared to his 100grain fieldtip at 20 yds. I must say, ican't believe how loud of a twang this thing had either. It's a brand new Parker Terminator 175# and it seems like it shots fast, but the twang is LOUD. Is there something to quiet them down? It had string leaches from the "kit" that was installed on the whole thing.
dandbuck
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wear ear plugs and or muffs or both!Don't worry about noise,deer don't! Just keep yer shots close on calm deer out to 35 yds. Some times those B'heads just don't want to do right. The more blades on a fixed head at fast speeds the more they will plane on you. I have had good luck with the Rocket mech. i have played with keeping within 1/2" of my field tips. The fixed i just sight them in and don't worry about field tips.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

i did'nt have much luck using b-heads with my xbow that i had used with my vertical bow. i think speed was a large part of the problem. unfortunately there isn't much you can do to tune an xbow. about all you can do is try different bheads and make sure you spin test them. once you get in the area of 300 fps bheads get mighty touchy. good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

Hi all
My dad just got a cross bow since turnig 65 and he shot it at my place over the weekend. here's the issue, 20yds field tips right on. # blade muzzy's shot 5 inches low with same weight, more than 1 arrow all shot 5" low at 20 yds. Then he shot one of his rocky expandables and it too shot 4-5 " low. This was from a sitting position with sticks to steady his rest and all, so I know it was the broadhead. Then he shot a 125 grain fieldtip and it ws only about 1" low as compared to his 100grain fieldtip at 20 yds. I must say, ican't believe how loud of a twang this thing had either. It's a brand new Parker Terminator 175# and it seems like it shots fast, but the twang is LOUD. Is there something to quiet them down? It had string leaches from the "kit" that was installed on the whole thing.
dandbuck
Cat whiskers on the strings and a heavier arrow/broadtip combo will make all the difference. Have you chronographed it yet?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

No chronograph as of yet. I guess if the broadheads all group together, it's all youcould ask, I just thought it seemed weird. The noise was the thing I did not expect, WOW, it was loud. As long as he was happy I guess. It has leaches on the string, youthink cat whiskers are better?
dandbuck
Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I find cat whiskers make the most difference in anything put on the string. Besides string leaches don't nornally stay on the string and if you serve the cat whiskers on the string they don't come off. I put on some string leaches and they came winging off the string, bounced off the limb and into my freaking face. I thought for a split second that something happened to the limbs until I remembered it was an Excalibur! LOL! A good chunk of the "S" shaped leach tore off and whacked me. Cat Whiskers are cheap to boot! They work really well on my compounds too! But you have to serve them on to be effective.

Quick Reply: Broad heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.