Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Haters

Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gents,

You have to cut Sproulman a little slack. He is not a bad guy but tends to be "flighty" and just has his mind made up and so doesn't want to be confused with the facts.

The interesting thing is that many of the anti-crossbow folks are so irrational and off the wall in their statements that they tend to shoot themselves in the foot in terms of credibility. I think that it is pretty common to find undecided people becoming supportive of the crossbow after listening to debates and facts, since the crossbow position is generally more calm, rational, articulate, and supported by facts. I'm still laughing over claims that legalization of crossbows will lead to massive road hunting and poaching of deer. Can you imagine trying to point and fire a full-sized cross bow out of the window of a vehicle or trying to reload it after a missed shot compared to the traditional use of a .22 rifle? I have seen lots of reports of people arrested for poaching deer and for every instance of a crossbow being involved there are dozens of cases when a firearm or compound bow was used.

A while back Big Country was making comments that vertical bows are more challenging because one has to be standing to fire one. I then posted a picture of a guy shooting bullseyes at about 25 yards with a bow while sitting in a wheelchair. He then said that bows are more challenging because one has to have very strong upper body strength. I then posted a picture of a teenage girl that would weigh about 100 lbs soaking wet with the deer that she had just killed with a compound bow. And yet the anti's can't figure out why pro-crossbow legislation is pretty much steamrolling the opposition in the majority of cases.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tim50
Is there tolorence in the bible? Apperently not in yours!!
And you deliver this tolerant, educated, well thought out reply with a laughing emoticon?

Pot meet kettle.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Pydpiper
I have no idea what an arrow gun is, but if it were legal I would sure be in line to try one!
However, for the rest of your masterminded riddle, I don't think I would want to be in the woods geared for an archery hunt if there were hunters with guns out there too. I like the way it is handled where I live, we have a long archery season that has three small interruptions for shotgun hunters to pass through. However, when the shotguns come out the archers have to vacate the bush.
I guess to answer your riddle I would say the downfall to mixing bows with guns is a safety issue, I could explain the difference between a bullet and an arrow, but I know that if you were capable of comprehending the answer you would never have asked the question in the first place.
Gun hunters seem to do fine as far as safety is concerned, you got accidents here and there. As I saw last year, a crossbower killed his son with a c-ocked crossbow. I mean who would be so dangerous as to carry around a c ocked arrow gun.

So let me get this right, you believe that gun hunters should not be allowed to hunt in the same seasons as archery because of safety concerns? Does all arrow-gun shooters believe this?

For those of you who do not understand, I referr to X-bows as arrow guns. I mean thats what they are. They have a stock, most use reddot scopes. They have a trigger. Gun.

No hate here guys, just trying to understand the mind of an arrow-gun shooter is all. Please don't take offense.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Gents,

A while back Big Country was making comments that vertical bows are more challenging because one has to be standing to fire one. I then posted a picture of a guy shooting bullseyes at about 25 yards with a bow while sitting in a wheelchair. He then said that bows are more challenging because one has to have very strong upper body strength. I then posted a picture of a teenage girl that would weigh about 100 lbs soaking wet with the deer that she had just killed with a compound bow. And yet the anti's can't figure out why pro-crossbow legislation is pretty much steamrolling the opposition in the majority of cases.
Tell ya what, I will make you a challenge my fine friend. You take of my osage selfbows with POC arrows, and I will take your arrow-gun and see which one can kill two does the quickest here in MD on public land.

All I am saying is why should fellow gun-hunters be disinfranchised while arrowgun hunters get to hunt in archery season. Why not make it weapon of choice? I know what I am picking.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM
bigcountry

Guys, I have to take time out to thank a poster who took the time and care out of his day to send me a PM. I mean this guy must care so much to make a new profile, and take the time to PM me. I mean this guy put a smile on my face today.

His name is duckdoggy and here is what he has to say.
Quote from duckdoggy, "I shoot recurve, compounds and crossbows. Crossbow is probably the easiest for me to shoot a deer with. You don't like it? Too bad. Deal with it. Hold your breath until pass out. I don't care. I don't care about your tradition. I don't care if that means more people in your hunting spot. I just don't care. I'll never understand people. Don't care to either. I do care about consvervation and maintaining the populations but your feelings, guess what? I don't care. I hope this upsets you. That was its purpose. Also, god is not real. It's mythology."

Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

BC,

Its much, much more challenging to get a second shot with a crossbow. So, I would assume that if you have two does standing under the stand, the guy with the vertical bow is much more likely to have him a second deer on that hunt. Like most of us know there are differing pros and cons to all bows. Kind of a moot point since, as a general rule, when you do see declines in deer population, it is not linked in any significant way to crossbows, but often linked to management practices in general. Also, you are somewhat of a different matter, even if a bit uninformed. Since you make and use traditional bows, you are not being hypocritical like the guys who are out there with a space age looking compound bows that arent really "true" bows when you consider the pulley systems, sights, etc. that will outshoot most crossbows, but whining about crossbows.

By the way, am going to the furbuyers tonite. When i called him last nite he said that he didnt have any whole beavers, but was going to call a friend and ask if he could bring over a tail for you. So, dDunno if he will actually have one or not.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
No hate here guys, just trying to understand the mind of an arrow-gun shooter is all. Please don't take offense.
Baloney.

Your posts are strictly designed to be offensive.

Me thinks that you should be spending more time reading (and understanding) your Bible verses and less time looking for opportunities to be hostile.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Spike

BC,

Guns all have one thing common. They use propellants / pressurized gasses to accelerate an object.

Crossbows don't use propellants or compressed gas they use a limb to store energy. That is why crossbows are considered archery. Like it or not.

Arrow launchers (by definition of DNR) are illegal to hunt with during archery season.

It is EXTREMELY bad taste to post PRIVATE messages onto Forums. On most forums this is a punishable offense.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by StoredEnergy
BC,

Guns all have one thing common. They use propellants / pressurized gasses to accelerate an object.

Crossbows don't use propellants or compressed gas they use a limb to store energy. That is why crossbows are considered archery. Like it or not.

Arrow launchers (by definition of DNR) are illegal to hunt with during archery season.

It is EXTREMELY bad taste to post PRIVATE messages onto Forums. On most forums this is a punishable offense.
No, your wrong.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by ezmoover
Baloney.

Your posts are strictly designed to be offensive.

Me thinks that you should be spending more time reading (and understanding) your Bible verses and less time looking for opportunities to be hostile.
well, when you been here for a while and contributed to the forum maybe someone can take your advise, other than that, I smell "TROLL".

Quick Reply: Crossbow Haters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.