Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
fletching falling off...aggravated >

fletching falling off...aggravated

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

fletching falling off...aggravated

Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default fletching falling off...aggravated

just want to express my rage with my local bow shop. They are a great shop, been around for years, decent customer service, and they have a lot of stuff. But for the 3rd time in less than a year my fletchings that they put on have just fallen off. They should be on there no matter what the temp outside or inside is, moisture, cold, warmth etc...I don't know whats going on. I take the crossbow hunting I bring it in my house when im done most of the time. sometimes I leave it in my jeep overnight or whatever but its not like im dropping it, laying it down on the arrows or hitting the fletchings. They just keep falling right off. I brought them back to the local shop they never charged me to put new ones on but its getting annoying. All they can say is " must be a bad tube of glue" ha..i think its time to go to a different shop.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not acceptable answer. Cyanoacrylate (super glue) ages quite fast and should be refrigerated to prevent deterioration. Could also be a case of poor prep of shaft and or the vanes they use. I use Blazers and Gorilla Brand super glue (blue top). It holds much better than any bow-brand glue I've tried (much cheaper too) and prep the carbon shafts with wiping down with acetone and extra fine steel wool. The vanes stay put - even when passing though a target. GB glue is fortified with latex so doesn't crack with age like others I've tried.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Quick fletch
Old 10-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ruttnbuck
Quick fletch
Fast and easy, true, but one pass through a target (or deer) and your rather expensive shrink-fletching job is toast. Plus they weigh considerably more thereby reducing FOC ratio, if that's an issue.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I think it's time to start learning how to fletch your own.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick fletch works if you don't know how or have the stuff to fletch your own.I just shot my crossbow with it and a few went through the target and they are still fine.
If I shoot through a deer I expect something on the arrow to need repairing,if it tears up the fletching then I just heat some water,cut off the old and put a new one on,then all I have to do is resharpen the broad head and I'm hunting again.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

ya I think im gonna try the quik fletch. this is getting crazy. or just buy that fletching jig and do my own stuff..
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fletching jig and correct glue ... not much expense when you get right down to it. And easy to learn how to do. Been doing my own for over 40 years.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I use the blue top gorilla glue and store it in the refrigerator. The bottle is about out but it's lasted for several years and they don't fall off even going through a bag target.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2 on the above post........