Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

scope-red dot

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default scope-red dot

I have a leupold scope on my tenpoint. I have not used any reddots at all. I have a bud that is going to buy a xbow for deer hunting close to houses.It is a weapons restricted unit.He would like to change to xbow,rather than use his shotgun/capball.

Any one use red dots and what ones. What do you think of them?How are they in low light.In dence timber?

TY charles Bradford
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scope-red dot

Charles, I can't say about on crossbows, but I had a Red Dot on my Turkey Gun and did not like it!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

i have a tasco red dot on my exocet........i love it.btw it is 40mm....1x.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

If you have a Leupold on it keep it on. You have a scope that manages light better than any red dot around. Red dots are originally designed for fast target aquisition. If you use a no-magnification red dot with both eyes open it will work in darker situations. I've often sat in a blind with tall trees surounding a small patch of grass and it got so dark I lost half an hour of legal shooting time. I've found a decent low power scope with good light management to be far superior. The scope of my choice is a VariX 3. The second choice is my Nikon 1.5X6X42 Monarch Gold with a 30mm tube. The third choice is a 1.5X6X36 B&L Elite. I have had the Bushnell Halo on but wasn't overly please but I am going to try it again. The Halo is far better for light loss than any of the Red Dots. I've owned a Bushnell red dot years ago and the battery leaked and of course turned it to garbage.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking at Truglo 2x30mm Dot. My Mrs. wants one fer her Vixen when i get it fer her B'day!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM

I had a single dot no magnification on my old Horton for a long time and it worked good. I did not like the multi-dot ones because my friends said the dots would blend together real easy in low light conditions and sometimes make it hard to see the deer well, and it appeared to be that way when I shot his bow the few times that I did. I wanted more than one aiming point so I switched to a Excal varizone and have been loving it. Compared to some of the higher end scopes it is of OK quality and suits me just fine. The thing I like about it best is having a four aiming points that are dead nuts on, it is adjustable for any CB speed. The other thing I disliked about a red dot was my human factor on it. It is a total bummer to climb up your tree and get set up only to realize you left the thing on the last time you hunted and now its dead and you are SOL! Always my fault, but it sucked!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 PM

I have a Tasco red dot 2 poweron my xbow and love it.works great in low light.

thats the reason I got it,for late and early.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey gang, I forgot to add that I'm not bashing red dot scopes. They just don't cut it in the places I like to hunt. I do like the Halo better for the amount of light that gets through.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:35 PM

I used to use a red dot but now i have a 4x32mm scope. I prefer the scope for the following reasons:

-not as much "guess work" when you decide to aim low or high to componsate for ranges (although this could be solved with a multi-dot red dot scope.

-I don't need to turn the scope on when I'm about to shot (I hunted with the red dot off so I wouldn't run out of batteries right before I took a shot)

-It also works for low light. I just got in from shooting and I finished out by putting 4 bolts in a 3" group at 40 yards around 30 minutes after sunset. If it was any darker it would be unethical to take the shot with anything except night vision.

-The magnification (aim small, miss small)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Ty guys He went scope :}

Charles Bradford

Quick Reply: scope-red dot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.