Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why are crossbows illegal in most states? >

Why are crossbows illegal in most states?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why are crossbows illegal in most states?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why are crossbows illegal in most states?

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

I would have to guess a man in womens clothes holding a gun.. It's his compound, he can wear what he wants.
That's a good one ,David!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Stupity
Old 01-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a few more reasons.

All xbows.This was pulled from www.dartonarchery.com

great lakes impact 343 [fps] 128 [ft-lbs]

barnett revolution xs 340 [fps] 118 [ft-lbs]

fred bear f340 340[fps 99 [ft-lbs]

parker safari 320 [fps] 96 [ft-lbs]

Even my tenpiont is well over 300 fps and 91 ft-lbs.

I shoot a matews safari at 94# and do not get this kind of numbers. I get a very little over 300 fps and 109 ft-lbs.I get cussed most every post over my bow.

Legal bow for deer-long bows, recurve bows, or compound bows that are hand drawn, that have no mechanical device that locks the bow at full or partial draw, that are designed to shoot only one arrow at a time and have no electronic or chemical devices attached to the bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted pin, dot, or holographic sights attached to the front of the bow. Arrows shall be equipped with a nonbarbed broadhead point with all-metal cutting edges, and each arrow used for hunting shall be at least 20 inches in length.

I beleave the above is why you can not use xb with bows.I do not think all the laws here are best.But they are here.

sorry my spelling was so bad you could not understand what I was trying to say.I am not all that woried about how I spell. I thought it was the point that mattered.

I think more than any thing it is $ that drives what can and cant be used to hunt with.

I my self would not shoot a deer over 70 yards with my shot gun so that would be very close to the distance I would shoot with my xb.[and have]My longest shot with my bow is 44 yards. So to me my xbow compares way closer to my 12 gage.I gess I just under shoot my 12 gage and over shoot my xb.I do know with my xb I can hit a pie plate every time at 70 yards.

Funny how people will shoot a bow 50 to 70 yards and kill elk every year.Most with WAY less than 100 ft-lbs.

But there is no way to shoot an xb that far when they are now getting 128 ft-lbs.Next year they will be getting more :}

Sorry for stating what I have found to be true.I do only use my xb a week or so out of the year so I know there are many many out there way smarter than I am in xbows.

ty Charles bradford

Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: ELKINMTCWB I get a very little over 300 fps and 109 ft-lbs.I get cussed most every post over my bow.[quote]

Sorry for hacking the whole post just for this one point, but if speed is the issue then there is a flaw..
Charles, my Exocet is shooting 299 fps, that is slower than your compound.
On the one handed point.. I stand 6', at about 175 lbs, I tried many times to heft my crossbow with one hand, thats not going to happen.
I am on your side, we just need to find you some solid ground for your diminishing presence in this thread.
Your spelling didn't confuse me, your point was clear, just so far in left field that I felt dumber just reading it. It was the whole 12 gage thing, while I do appreciate facts copied from reputable sources it is hard to take you seriously now.
You are either a very large man with a very small shotgun or you were attempting to flame an otherwise civil forum. I mean seriously now, a shotgun?
You are correct in one thing, there are people out there that are way smarter in crossbows. Charles, seeing how we now got to a civil level in this discussion, would be so kind as to leaving?
I apologize for attacking your grammar, that was out of line.
As long as there are people out there disproportionately comparing others choice in hunting tools the controversy will never end.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Elkerific, could you please read the rules of this forum? "This is not a crossbow debate". Please leave!
What part of your soul enjoys this boring discussion? What do you think you will gain? How does what you post contribute to hunting?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Elkerific, could you please read the rules of this forum? "This is not a crossbow debate". Please leave!
Yeah, this isn't your Neighbor Hood, and you ain'tCatholic!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

did'nt feel this thread even warranted a response until i read that elkerrific feels it's ok to take a 70 yd shot with a xbow. that tells me all i need to know about charles bradford. john brush.