Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads

Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Broadheads

I know this subject has been beaten to death on this forum and the bowhunting and deerhunting forums, but my questions kinda different. I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100gr out of my phoenix w/ the right stuff arrows made by GT, and i cant seem to get them to group well at all. On the other hand, my buddy shoots the emax and gets field tip groups w/ his expandables.

What i wanted to know is which of you shoot expandables out of their xbow (especially if you shoot the phoenix or exocet200) and if they fly the same as field points. I am looking for a mechanical tip that flies the same or close to the field tips and will group deadly accurate lol

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Default RE: Broadheads

I to used the Muzzys for a long time out of my old Horton with no problems. But they did not shoot well with a faster bow. So this year I let the mech bug bite me. I have been shooting the Tekan Two's. They fly just the same as my field tips dead on, but I have the extra cut blades on them so they do hit a half inchlower. I liked them cause they have a nice cut on contact tip and they can be resharpened, all Stainless Steel too. I also leaned toward them cause I heard to much about the rear hinge style deflecting on angeled shots. To many guys say it don't happen and to many say it does. Alot of the guys use that style on here and have good results with them. I also liked them because they are fully open when going in, and not opening up after they are in. They have been fine in the back yard, but I have no field test for them this year![&o]

Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Wasp mechanicals are what I use. Really sharp, consistant flight and a big cut. I did some testing on some fixed broadheads and they all fly well. They flew well enough for a 50 yard shot at a target. They were Thunder Heads, G5 Striker, 4 blade Magnus Stinger, Wasp Cam Lok, Razorcaps, Slick Tricks. They would all do well on a 40 yard plus on an Elk accuracy wise.
What is the problem on your bow?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Your problem with grouping might be with your arrow. When your talking groupings, are you talking about different arrows or with the same arrow. If it is different arrows, it might be that the point of the head is not on the same AXIS of the arrow. This will casue it to wonder in flight. IF it is with the same arrow, check you head to make sure it is tight to the arrow.

But sometimes, some heads just will not fly well out of one bow while they fly great out of another. Wind can casue problems with grouppings as well, this happened with my dad's exomag.

I use the Spitfire mechanicals. They work great. You can insert in a practice blade which gives you the same head profile to practice with, without useing up your hunting blades. These heads also do not require rubber O-rings or rubber bands to hold them closed. They use a clip, which works great, but needs replacing after about 5 shots. I personally use only new blades and clips for hunting.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM

I dunno what the problem with my bow is lol...i think the problem lies in the muzzys, i guess they just dont fly well out of my bow.

What do you mean by axis, could you explain this to me so i could see if it is the problem...

I was personally thinking of switching to the wasp jackhammers. almost bought them but i thought id ask you guys first

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Impossible

What do you mean by axis, could you explain this to me so i could see if it is the problem...
By axis they mean the tip of the broadhead being alligned with the center of the arrow. Sometimes when you put a head on it does not sit right and the tip is off center, that makes the arrow plane one way or the other.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

For the perfect arrow, the tip should be perfectly centered on the center of the arrow (axis). If the tip of the head, is a little off of the axis, you will have a force pulling the arrow away from the axis, which happens to be the differction of arrow flight.

What can be the cause of this are a few things. Alluminum arrows can become bent. If there is a problem with the inserts, they can be off center or not square. Some heads will have a washer which fits between the arrow and the head or blade ends (back side of head). Sometimes shifting it's position can correct this problem (washer can become "squished" to one side).

Spin tests can help determine if this is the problem. With practice you can be very accurate with this test. Spin the arrow on its tip (on a hard surface, or palm of hand) quickly and look or feel for a wobble. Some people will actually place the tip into a jig on an arrow straightener to make sure there is no wobble (that the tip is on the same axis as the center of the arrow).

Another problem which might cause a wondering arrow is if your arrow is ot ballanced properly (too much weight towards the back).

Hope this helps you.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

To take this a step farther a spin test. Check to make sure there is no wobble. I use 1" cut dia. 3 blade B'Heads and just sight them in. There is also too much front end weight issue or same with nok end. Its all in good overall balance.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Finding your axis can be a task.. Well worth it though. I am not the guy to explain it to you, but it can be done quickly and inexpensively.

I have been considering trying some mechanicals, just to say I did it. I have a half dozen Slick tricks that are just waiting to be put to duty, but a good friend of mine that I will likely be hunting with would appreciate the simplicity of a mechanical broadhead. So to keep thinks flowing I just may give a set or two a run.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I believe that some vert bow hunters do complain that if they shoot over 300 ft/sec they have erratic flight with muzzys. Have you chronied your set up?

Quick Reply: Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.