Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New Barnett 400 String Broke today >

New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Barnett 400 String Broke today

All great advice. Ok, so now I have a few more questions.

1. What's the benifit of a wheeled xbow?
2. What's the negative of a wheeled xbow?
3. What's the benifit of a recurved xbow?
4. What's the negative of a recurved xbow?

I have heard great things about the Excaliber and the Ten Points. I will be willing to spend up to about $800, so the money factor should not be the issue here.

Someone mentioned (I believe) that with the Excal, I can change out the string myself. Is this true and if so, do I have to buy something special to do it?

Also, I have never "dry fired" a xbow because I have been told that is not good for it. But, why would a string break when dry firing????

And, finally, yes it runied my hunt when the string broke. I had a nice hog in sight at about 25 yards and "bam," the string broke and everything within 200 yards probably took off. I was so mad, I couldn't even go get my old Barnett crossbow to continue hunting. BTW, my old Barnett crossbow I have had for about 5 years with no problems at all. Anyway, I am willing to pay the price for a high quality xbow and if I can get a better understanding of the above questions, that will help me alot. Thanks for all the great imput.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

[/quote]

Did you wear out three strings on the Excal or was that from when you were trying out the different ones that Excal offers to see which one you liked the best? Just curious...

[/quote]

I suppose the strings could be used if I were to get them reserved or tried to reserve them myself I went thru a spell over the summer where I was doing a lot of shooting, and wore the center servings to the point they were fraying and breaking the strings themselfs are still ok.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

This should help reduce our typing. Pay attention to what Jim C has to say. He says it short and sweet. BTW what shewe says makes sense in his second post.http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=410027
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

All great advice. Ok, so now I have a few more questions.

1. What's the benifit of a wheeled xbow?
2. What's the negative of a wheeled xbow?
3. What's the benifit of a recurved xbow?
4. What's the negative of a recurved xbow?

the link to Jim C.`s post on archerytalk better explains what I was going to put here
Old 11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dnk

This should help reduce our typing. Pay attention to what Jim C has to say. He says it short and sweet. BTW what shewe says makes sense in his second post.http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=410027
Thanks, I went to the link and it has some good information.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 AM

"....but why would a string break when dry firing?" There is no weight to slow the velocity of the string. If the bolt is not into the nock a sort of dry fire can occur. Sometimes the "Veloci-Speed" strings on a Barnettwill alsobreak during a dry firing:The limbs canbreak. i been there, done that with my Barnett.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

"....but why would a string break when dry firing?" There is no weight to slow the velocity of the string. If the bolt is not into the nock a sort of dry fire can occur. Sometimes the "Veloci-Speed" strings on a Barnettwill alsobreak during a dry firing:The limbs canbreak. i been there, done that with my Barnett.
On an Excaliber if you dryfire it the limbs are less likely to break like other brands. Sometimes the strings break, why? Because! Dacron string is the best to have on if the unspeakable were to happen as oppose to fast flight.
Both of my Exocets have been dryfired once now! No damage, just a load in my pants!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I blew up a Quad 400, not sure why. There were wheels, cables, string, limbs, ect all over my garage floor. Could not get less than a 3" group at 20 yds, probably due to the 12 lb trigger pull. There was a post along time ago on another forum by someone who had a relation that had worked for Bnett for a long time. He gave a run down on the various models and problems or, in some cases, lack thereof. I wish I could find it, but can't.

Basically, when you shoot an arrow, the weight thereof slows the string and limbs down some. When you dry fire either full or partial, that lack of resistance allows the limbs to exert all their force on the string alone and bad things can and usually do happen.

I've had dry fires and was lucky. Planter and Htoler [I believe] weren't.

You can string/unstring/adjust an Excals string via a "stringing aid" which has two pieces of heavy duty plastic w/ holes on a string. You slip the holes over limb tips and partially cock the bow, which allows you to replace or add twists to the string. There are two scribe marks on the rail top on Excals that show the preferred brace heights. As long as you are between the two you are good to go. Most Excals have a "sweet spot" that is 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" from end of rail, near closest scribe line to trigger.

You can also change strings w/o the aid, but it's a job! All new Excals come w/ video or DVD that explains all of this much better than I can.

The more poundage your bow has, the harder it is on servings, just a fact of crossbow life. My Emax is cruel to srevings, the Phoenix much kinder, my friends Vixen has had the same serving for well over 500 shots, and still looks good.

The ideal situation is to shoot the bows before purchase, like at a Cabelas. The best prices are usually at bowhuntersuperstore on E-bay. Good luck to ya!!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I blew up a Quad 400, not sure why. There were wheels, cables, string, limbs, ect all over my garage floor. Could not get less than a 3" group at 20 yds, probably due to the 12 lb trigger pull. There was a post along time ago on another forum by someone who had a relation that had worked for Bnett for a long time. He gave a run down on the various models and problems or, in some cases, lack thereof. I wish I could find it, but can't.

Basically, when you shoot an arrow, the weight thereof slows the string and limbs down some. When you dry fire either full or partial, that lack of resistance allows the limbs to exert all their force on the string alone and bad things can and usually do happen.

I've had dry fires and was lucky. Planter and Htoler [I believe] weren't.

You can string/unstring/adjust an Excals string via a "stringing aid" which has two pieces of heavy duty plastic w/ holes on a string. You slip the holes over limb tips and partially cock the bow, which allows you to replace or add twists to the string. There are two scribe marks on the rail top on Excals that show the preferred brace heights. As long as you are between the two you are good to go. Most Excals have a "sweet spot" that is 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" from end of rail, near closest scribe line to trigger.

You can also change strings w/o the aid, but it's a job! All new Excals come w/ video or DVD that explains all of this much better than I can.

The more poundage your bow has, the harder it is on servings, just a fact of crossbow life. My Emax is cruel to srevings, the Phoenix much kinder, my friends Vixen has had the same serving for well over 500 shots, and still looks good.

The ideal situation is to shoot the bows before purchase, like at a Cabelas. The best prices are usually at bowhuntersuperstore on E-bay. Good luck to ya!!
Thanks for the good information. I am leaning towards an Excal and a guy mentioned to me the Phoenix is a great xbow. What do you think? I will be taking my barnett quad400 back tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The phoenix is a spanking great bow! You won't be unhappy.

Quick Reply: New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.