Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow? >

Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

ORIGINAL: beebecl
As he circled to my left and came into a hole which I knew to be 20 yards, I took the shot. By the time the arrow got there, his flank was where the sweet spot had been, and I had to watch him hobble off with my fletching sticking out of his leg. I recovered him, but it wasn't a pretty picture. My theory is that he was 'cocked' from having examined my (although I was motionless), and sprung when he heard the string. Not a chance I will take again.
I won't even comment on this so that you can have some dignity.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Dnk not to stick up for this guy but my dad lost a doe recently due to the same circumstances. He was in a treestand, Perfect quartering away shot and she launched and the end result was fletching sticking out of her leg. BUT

20 yards is kinda paranoid, I practice out to 40
Old 11-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all have seen them do the unexpected. I personally think that some claims of string jump are actually due more to plain old coincidence.
Not always, of course, but sometimes on these closer range cases I think it might be either a combination of factors or coincidence. One thing I am sure of, when it comes to deer, there are no absolutes. I also think we need to make those range choices on a deer by deer basis. Like Dnk says, head down and feeding is a whole lot different than a nervous one that you can kinda tell doesn't really want to be where he's at to begin with. I kinda respect Beebcl for admitting that losing a deer really bothers him as it should us all.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

If you screw up a shot at 20 yards you shouldn't shooting an arrow at a livee animal! You should be at the range getting good enough to NOT screw up a shot at that range. Twenty is freaking rediculous! Shooting throught a hole is border line. If it touches a twig in that hole then what should one expect?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

If you screw up a shot at 20 yards you shouldn't shooting an arrow at a livee animal! You should be at the range getting good enough to NOT screw up a shot at that range. Twenty is freaking rediculous! Shooting throught a hole is border line. If it touches a twig in that hole then what should one expect?
I don't want to jump on beebecl when I say this so don't take it the wrong way beebecl. But I will say I always shake my head when I read all the post in the Bow hunting forum about " I must have hit a twig" or he was ready to jump or the wind made my shot go off from where I aimed etc. etc. etc... I just don't get it? When our good friend awhile back made a post about a certain shot I was all for it a with him! Why? cause he is like me and knows where his arrow is going when he pulls the trigger! I know he probably shoots ten for every one I shoot but it gets back to knowing your bow and game. I pass alot of deer because I am not 100% sure of the shot and the mood of the Deer. I passed on the biggest buck ever once, a nice ten pointer, slight quartering away shot at twenty yards. But he only came to a slow walk and when he did stop a few times only for a second he would stomp his feet! I knew it was a bad deal so I let him pass. Not trying to jump on any one, but the whole twig or whatever scenario's make me sick. Just admit you suck, ( not you beebecl) and practice more! Again not aiming at beebecl just venting on the twig/ questionable shot stories. Seems to be alot of them now days. The only shot problem I had once was when I was excited and had my only thumb and rail experiance!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:20 PM

No sweat, Hotburn, at least you can spell.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk: Wood yu lik tabi sum spelin lesons? Reel cheep!! Yurs trooley, Dan ps I haf refrezes, Henri graulated wif honerz!! [Magnum com som loudly]
Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The only mistake I will admit to is to err on the safe side. I have, like Jason, passed on many shots because I was not 100% sure that the arrow would land where it should be.
Beecel, I took exception to you saying "you guys are a bit crazy with some of your yardages" and "any more than 30 is bordering on irresponsible".
Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Spike

Hotburn, I once had a shot at a HUGE racked whitetail that was 12 yards from me, never knew I was anywhere around and he was facing the opposite way. I was shooting a Golden Eagle compound at the time & if I knew the yardage I could keep the arrow within 2 or 3 inches at the most. Anyway I pulled back on him & waited for him to turn or walk away & give me a quartering away shot. He just stood there and I started shaking (from buck fever) so bad I let down, then drew the bow again. I couldn't stop shaking enough to make what I felt was a good clean shot so I never took it. He walked away, never to be seen again. I would do it all over again because like you I want the shot to go where it should to do the job it should do, cleanly.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Alan and Jason. You guys are the kinda guys I like to hunt with! Dan, you putz, I can spell WeRze. Henry kaN b da GugE of th cPallliNg KonTECt!

Quick Reply: Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.