Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow? >

Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Old 11-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

In my earlier post i said i would shoot one at 40 if calm! I have saw 12 so fer this season and all have been within 35 yds. but never did i have a clean clear shot offered. So its deers 12 me 0! []
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: beebecl

awshucks, I've got a Horton 150# bow. I didn't see the article you refer to, nor have I ever seen any data the fps or anything like that.

I guess that for me, it really comes down to the probability of killing shot. I've lost more deer than I like to remember, and that's sticking to 20 yards. Haven't lost one recently, and like to think I've learned my lesson on some of the shots I've taken, but the ones I have lost were just too gut-wrenching for me to take longer shots.
I found the article I mentioned earlier. It is a good read and can be found by going to www.horizontalbowhunter.com then click on "regular columns", then Bill Troubridge. You will have the opportunity to read several of his columns or just scroll down to "String Jump Solutions". I found it very informative. I also would rather have them nearer 20 yds than any other range. Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am amazed at the accuracy of this cross-bow,out to 50 yards it really
does great,am wondering how they would fly with feathers,grouping real
good now,if its not broken dont mess with it!Would not shoot over 35yds
the same limit that I used when shooting my compound bow!

Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Two years ago I had a buck come in towards my stand, look up at me, then turn and walk away. As he circled to my left and came into a hole which I knew to be 20 yards, I took the shot. By the time the arrow got there, his flank was where the sweet spot had been,
I've put this off for too long. Beebecl, in my opinion it was not a wise decision to take that shot. Apparently you have learned your lesson. It was not the distance that was wrong but the decision on the condition of the deer that was wrong. Crossbows are not shot guns, they are not used to wing shoot. May be and just maybe a very slow walking deer can be shot with any arrow but better to use a bleat or a grunt to stop it before tripping the trigger. I know I would but then again I shoot atleast a hundred birds a year and I would not shoot a deer at more than a dead slow pace and only if it were not alert! I will not be condemed for taking a deer at 38 yards that is absolutely calm feeding deer that is looking away. Please do not call anyone irresponsible for taking a deer in this situation. I suspect that the deer that you speak of was moving rather quickly. No matter how far it was, that shot would not be taken my myself or anyone else I associate with.
Please do not take me wrong, I am not berating you, I am merely clearing the air.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Now did we just get trolled by a butter subsitute? LOL!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

This can be a problem; this contractor dork was hunting the same area this year and telling me that his new 1200 dollar outfit was good for 40 yds I tried to explain to him that at that distance a deer will duck or jump the string before the arrow gets there. He shot at 7 deer 5 of them got away wounded not recovered one of the ones that we tracked down for him was gut shot. He is now barred from some of the areas he was hunting on. People like this make us all look bad. By the way he was using one of those new real short compounds not a x-bow,I hope he learns from this, but the last time I talked to him it did not sound like it. Lee
Old 11-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

This can be a problem; this contractor dork was hunting the same area this year and telling me that his new 1200 dollar outfit was good for 40 yds I tried to explain to him that at that distance a deer will duck or jump the string before the arrow gets there. He shot at 7 deer 5 of them got away wounded not recovered one of the ones that we tracked down for him was gut shot. He is now barred from some of the areas he was hunting on. People like this make us all look bad. By the way he was using one of those new real short compounds not a x-bow,I hope he learns from this, but the last time I talked to him it did not sound like it. Lee
Lee, are you talking about Beecel?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Lee: That's a shame. I've come to realize there's generally a bozo on every bus, a guy doesn't mind someone new asking about extreme ranges cause they read something or got pumped full of smoke by some bow monkey dealer trying to make a sale. Sounds like this guy not only should have known better, but didn't even learn from his first mistake. I'd say good ridance to him, the sport does not need his kind or his attitude.
Reminds me of a joke, do you know the differance between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know, and I don't care". Keep the faith bud!!
Old 11-23-2006, 05:54 PM

Dnk:

1. My post wasn't meant for anyone in particular.
2. Everyone has an opinion. I stated mine. You've stated yours.
3. I have andexpect to continuelearning from my mistakes, and hopefully won't make the same one twice. Sounds like you have never made one. Keep up the good work.
4. I do not 'wing shoot' deer. This deer was moving no faster than other deer I have successfully brought down at the same range; it was a slow walk.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Second, I think you all are a bit crazy with some of these yardages.

. Just my opinion, but any more than 30 is bordering on irresponsible.
Beecel, these are not opinions, they are uneducated, offensive statements.

Quick Reply: Whats the farthest shot u would take with a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.