Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Got my fingers crossed "Updated FOUND!!!" >

Got my fingers crossed "Updated FOUND!!!"

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Got my fingers crossed "Updated FOUND!!!"

Old 11-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got my fingers crossed "Updated FOUND!!!"

Got in the stand at about 3:00 pm tonight. I sat for a half hour then decided to hit the calls. I hit the can a few times with a couple grunts mixed in. Not 45 seconds later a 4 point came out of nowhere. Now I havn't been seeing many deer this year, plus I'm not really a trophy hunter, I hunt to put meat on the table for my family. So I decided to take a shot at this buck once it came into my window. It entered my window and I let out a small grunt to get him to stop, once it stopped I let the arrow fly. The arrow didnt hit where I had hoped it would. It hit about halfway back, maybe the rear of the rib cage and right in the middle as far as up and down goes. As soon as the arrow hit him he kind of stumbled for a split second then took off till I couldnt see him anymore. I sat in the stand for another half hour, then I got down and walked the opposit way then what the deer went, and went home. I think I made the right decision to wait till morning to even atempt to look for him.
Do you think this may have been a lethal shot?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got my fingers crossed

that's the safest thing to do on a suspect hit.....would be interested to know what the arrow looks like.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing by backing off. Did you mark the spot where you hit it as well as where you last saw it? Whats with the arrow? Blood/slime/greenish? Any blood? The fact that is stumbled may mean a sudden blood loss but then again who knows? Good luck man, get some good help.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

As far as the arrow goes, its still with the deer the last I saw it. It only penetrated about half the length of the arrow. The way it was busting through the woods, the arrow could have been causing more damage to the organs as it was banging against the trees..
Old 11-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pwrsrtk350

As far as the arrow goes, its still with the deer the last I saw it. It only penetrated about half the length of the arrow. The way it was busting through the woods, the arrow could have been causing more damage to the organs as it was banging against the trees..

Old 11-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mayhave gotten a good liver hit and the deer made its death run. I have watched a many of then blow out fast then start the wobbling and leg stumbling and pile up within 100 yds.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM

Good job backing out. That's the most critical thing on gut shot deer. He should be out for the count. Let us know the status tomorrow after you find him!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad hit a great quartering away shot on his doe, it deflected off a rib and went to the back leg, the arrow never came out. It did TONS of damage because the broadhead almost sawed through the legbone because it was exiting there, and the inside of the arrow was poking around because of the leg moving. That doe didnt go 70 yards before we found her and only tracked an hour later. Good luck and check in the morning. It wouldnt hurt to have someone else help!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Yea I called my dad up and he offered to help me in the am.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

good luck in the morning bro....if he was crashing.....that's a very good sign. let us know how you make out. you did the right thing. if in doubt....back out. even if it was a good hit...he'll be there in the am. if a poor hit...that's the best thing to do. get some sleep and you and your dad will get him in the morning.

Quick Reply: Got my fingers crossed "Updated FOUND!!!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.