Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 DIAL -A-RANGE OR NOT? >

DIAL -A-RANGE OR NOT?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

DIAL -A-RANGE OR NOT?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default DIAL -A-RANGE OR NOT?

i am not good at crossbows sights etc but i am helping sight in crossbows for friends at our sportsmen club..i have always shot recurve and still do.. when i had compound bow,i used only 1 pin..now the scopes i look at are dial-a-range type and most are horton bows at club..i shot at 20,30,40 yards using the different lines in scope,then i used the 20 yd line only and sighted in for 20 yd which was #2 on dial a -range..the 20 yd line is darker also.. i could not believe how accurate i was with the dial adj using only the 20 yd sight..i turned it to#3 which is 30 yds, and shot dead..same with #4 at 40 yds, dead, i mean dead like 1 inch in circle in target..

my question is, i read here that most just use the 20.30 ,40 lines in scope so they dont have to mess with turning the adj to proper no. for the distance..is this way most of you do it or do some of you use the no.for yds and turn it when you see a deer..

i was shocked at how well the horton i sighted in shot off bags at range using the dial-a-range with hunting points which were spitfire 100..
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 PM

Default RE: DIAL -A-RANGE OR NOT?

The dial-a-range works but I have never been a fan of it. I have always been paranoid of setting it high and then forgetting to turn it down on close shots. I have some friends like you that say they love it. I just don't like setting things that I can forget about that can cost me a deer. Most of the guys that use it have a single dot red dot scope, or a standard shotgun scope withonly on set ofhairs.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since i don't have a Horton Bow i don't have to worry over such a thing[]. I concur with those that do own them and say they leave it alone. My scope just dials in by fps at 10 and 20 yds. then u just check to make sure windage is right at the longer range. If i ever get another Cb i will use a rifle scope 4x i like very well.[8D]
Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Sproulman: I've read alot about the dial-a-range. Seems as though they work well if you are using a single aim point sight like a red dot or single xhair rifle scope. There are posts about the rope cockers moving the dial and some w/ regular xbow scopes have considered fixing the dial in one position, via epoxy, ect. There was an excellant post on I think AT, on how to take the thing apart and fix it in one frozen position if you use xbow scopes. It wasn't permanent like epoxy. I found the post it's as follows:
Ok Guys I Shoot a Horton. I have taken the scope off and you can take the rail off under the rail there are two screws attaching the non piviting part to the stock. Remove the back screw and put the piviting part back on. Then put the dial range to where your 20 line works IE 1 or 2. Then take a long screw and put it right through the piviting part into the stock it will lock the Dial range where ever you set it before installing the screw. then just use your multi range and forget the dial range. That seems to be the best solution and it stays solid for ever.. Good luck [/align]__________________
[/align]
Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 AM

I’ve got a Horton Hunter Supreme SL with the Dial-range on it. I use a single red dot scope on it. I set the dial-range at 2 and sighted it in at 25 yards. My point of impact is about 2” high at 20 yards and about 4” low at 30. I’ve never moved the settings for fear of having it at the wrong one in a hunting situation.

The aiming philosophy I use is to have 3 aim points on a deer. These are the center of the body (top to bottom), half way in-between center and the top of the back and half way between center and bottom.

If the deer is less than 22 yards, I aim at the bottom spot (heart).
If it is between 22-27 yards I aim at the center of the body.
If it is 27-30 I aim at the top spot.

My maximum distance I will shoot a deer is 30 yards.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks all, good info.. i was actually surprised at how accurate that dial-range was on a horton i sighted in..i had target set at 10,20 ,30,40 yards off sandbags..scope was zeroed at 20 yds and dial-range on # 2.then i flipped it to #3 at 30 yards..

i was shocked when arrows hit a 1 inch circle at 30 yds.. then did same, turned it to#4 at 40 yards, i almost hit dead center ..i was shocked..this was all off big sandbag..i dont know why but i seem to shoot better with the 20 yd crosshair and dial-a-range than i do using the other lines in the scope for 30 yds,40 yds..maybe its all in my head, i dont know..i am starting to like crossbow but still use recurve #50 pd martin hunter..
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM

I kind of use a sort of combined method I think. I have my bow sighted for 20 yards with the Dial a range at 2. If the shot is close to 20 yards I just make a small adjustment, but if it is beyond 27 or 28 yards I click up once and adjust again. I dont think I have ever shot 40 yards even in practice.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Hey Sproulman: I've read alot about the dial-a-range. Seems as though they work well if you are using a single aim point sight like a red dot or single xhair rifle scope. There are posts about the rope cockers moving the dial and some w/ regular xbow scopes have considered fixing the dial in one position, via epoxy, ect. There was an excellant post on I think AT, on how to take the thing apart and fix it in one frozen position if you use xbow scopes. It wasn't permanent like epoxy. I found the post it's as follows:
Ok Guys I Shoot a Horton. I have taken the scope off and you can take the rail off under the rail there are two screws attaching the non piviting part to the stock. Remove the back screw and put the piviting part back on. Then put the dial range to where your 20 line works IE 1 or 2. Then take a long screw and put it right through the piviting part into the stock it will lock the Dial range where ever you set it before installing the screw. then just use your multi range and forget the dial range. That seems to be the best solution and it stays solid for ever.. Good luck
[/align]__________________

[/align]
awshucks, i did notice that the dial-a-range does move when using the rope cocker..that is not nice.. i painted all the #2 on the dial-a-range white when i sighted them in..this way you can see if it moved..but i did forget and shot on 1 as it moved..i can see why people expoxy them..something else to worry about in woods but i dont see problem as long as you stay cool and think..i wish they made a lock adjustment on that thing so that would not happen..
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM

My problem with the "Dail-A-Range" was this - The dail moves ALOT before it clicks ,,,,, but it is still in the "range" of that particular setting . I woudn't trust this device for anything . It's a great idea , and maybe mine was bad ,, but I'll never buy a "dial-a-range" again .
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got the dial a range on my horton legend xt175. I like it alot. I keep mine set on setting one my first crosshair in my multirange scope is 20 my second is 30. If I want to shoot 40 which i do practice at i click my dial-a- range to setting number 2 and use my second crosshair and that puts me dead on at 40. I keep it on setting #1 though but I like knowing the option is there to crank it up to 40 if need be.