Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Opening day whack!!! >

Opening day whack!!!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Opening day whack!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opening day whack!!!

Cold rainy windy opener here in Va. After an interesting start to the day (see Murphy) I had a deer come out of the gloom and thick stuff and I saw some head gear....couldn't tell how big, but where I hunt (public) you don't see many bucks.
When he hit a good shooting lane and paused I let him have it. Waited an hour 15 minutes to get down and found good blood on the arrow, but no blood trail in the rain. Started looking in the direction that he was headed in and found nothing[&o]. Sure enough he had circled and only got about 35 yards. Quartering away liver and lung and a half. Spitfire cut an incredible hole but all the bleeding was contained or washed away by the rain while I waited patiently (yeah right) for the deer to expire. Ground shrinkage kicked in and the small six in the gloom and rain became a three...but I don't really care for antler stew anyways.

Mitch

Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opening day whack!!!

Congradulations on your success,
Old 10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Amazing how much bigger everything looks at the heat of the moment isn't it? LOL. All is well because you harvested. Antler soup is sour anyhow! Ya just can't buy that kinda rush anywhere, contratulations Mitch
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 PM

Congrats on the deer! The shot looks good but you said you got some liver, was he quartering toward you a little? No reason, just was curious cause it looks like the right spot. I have shot two eight pointer that when I went back and called some friends I told them I got a nice ten! Like you say them antlers don't eat good!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Congrats on the deer! The shot looks good but you said you got some liver, was he quartering toward you a little?
Thats the exit hole... he was quartering away. About 4 inches foreward would have been perfect. I much prefer broadside, but it was a pretty good shot that I have confidence in.

Mitch
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM

Sorry, My dumb but forgot about that angle! Makes sense now! Good job and can you get more deer or are you done?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Fork Horn

2 more either sex AND 3 anterless. I likes my venison and will use them all if I can.

Mitch
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Six deer! Just aint fair!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Fork Horn

If I had some private land to hunt I could buy 2 more ("bonus")antlerless tags for $17, and 2 more antlerless tags for $17, and 2 more antlerless tags for $17....you get the idea. Also the daily "bag limit" (I've never put a deer in a bag[8D]) is 2 deer per day. So in our 3 month season a person could take 3 bucks and 177 antlerless.....if you had some private land with that many deer on it ...OH and a big freezer. And it would cost $1479!!!

Mitch
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 PM

So now your just trying to rub it in! LOL. I must go to bed now so I can dream about getting a job transfer out of state!

Quick Reply: Opening day whack!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.