Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

strings

Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default strings

all else being equal.....how much speed do you gain by switching to a FFF string?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: strings

My Phoenix shot 265 fps with 494gr. arrow and the Excel string. I put my FFF back on and it shot 279 fps same arrows. Gained 14 fps over the Excel string. OH by the way my logs are 2219's and when i shoot them it reminds me of have throwing a spear.[]
Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

one if the guys did some field testing with a cronograph and the different strings , or the difference in speeds between the strings maybe he will pipe in and share the resultd he got with you..

Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Piper inner here! I found the excel endless loop dacron and flemish dacron the same fps but flemish stretches, not worth the hassle in my book, but others like them. The difference seems to vary from bow to bow, but would say about 15 fps is average. It's also 4 clicks on the V-zone at 20 yds. I'm using the excel on my phoenix and the fff on the emax. All shoot same arrow, 431 gr. W/ the endless loop dacron on Emax I was at 308 fps and 290 w/ Phoenix. Doesn't make sense, huh? w/ fff on Emax I'm at 328 fps. Got picks of the strings if you git confused, lol, happens here once in awhile, lol. Edited to add: I forgot to tell ya that on Excals, the fastest fps is gotten w/ string adjusted to about a 1/8-1/4" above lowest scribed line.[near riser] That doesn't matter to me, which may explain the above non typical variance w/ Emax and strings. I would have left it at 308 if I didn't have the Phoenix at 290, btw. dan
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Shewe, I think its important that you try a few strings if not all of them. They all have different qualities that you may or may not like. I am limited on my carved limbed Excalibur Exocet (geeze I hope someone here doesn't get upset at me for using the E word) but I like the flemish strings for their looks and they are supposed to be the toughest, pretty quiet and certainly the easiest to reserve. The options on my Excalibur Vixen are much wider but I use the endless loop dacron and flemish dacron because dacron is the easiest on the limbs. As far as speed goes, I don't care about gaining or loosing as little as is gained or lost because there it makes no practical difference and there are better ways of gaining speed.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk: ?????and there are better ways of gaining speed???? Do I detect some Jquail7 here? lol. I got a handful of flem dacron, wanna swap? I've even stretched a few for ya!!My Emax eats servings on the FFF.[:-]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Dnk: ?????and there are better ways of gaining speed???? Do I detect some Jquail7 here? lol. I got a handful of flem dacron, wanna swap? I've even stretched a few for ya!!My Emax eats servings on the FFF.[:-]
You know the drill, send them to me! And send those arrows. I have an arrow cutter, I will cut them down to 12 inches for you! And don't be sassing my pal! LOL. He's doing lots better. He is busy educating deer in his area! LOL! You know what I mean. Gives them a warning shot, then he feeds them. LOL!!!!