HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   I am an idiot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/157131-i-am-idiot.html)

tschaef 09-20-2006 03:06 PM

I am an idiot

I got my 160lb Exocet back from a friend that had used it for about2 years (he took a few nice deer with it).I had been trying out vertical archery but he bought himself an Exomag so I took mine back.
I was sighting it in thinking I would use it early season untill I get my compound tuned up with the new rest, took a few shots, got distracted by a friend right after cocking, then "whack", dry fired it!
The limbs look OK but the bead of glue holding the one limb tip on has cracked (I'm praying its just the glue). I have drawn and fired it since and all seems well.
Have any of you recurve shooters ever actually broken something with a dry fire? If I did do damage where on the limb would be the most likely place for the problems to show themselves?

smokepolehall 09-20-2006 04:27 PM

RE: I am an idiot

I haven't had that problem yet and i hope i never do. Look on front of limbs fer any splinters, cracks and splits, Thats what we usually find on dryfire damage.[:o]

Dnk 09-20-2006 09:35 PM

Hehehe join the club. Its the club of seconds I don't belong to and don't want that "L" on my forehead. Luck for you it's an Excal! See you aren't as dumb as you feel, you bought a bow that puts up with bullsh_t! (sorry guys I'm not dissing your other bows). Do yourself a favour and do as I didn't...send the limbs in or contact Excal or an Excal rep and ask them what to do. And ahh yeah, clean your pants! I don't think there's a louder wake up call than a crossbow being dry fired! Still funny! First thing I did after staring at the my bow as to say "what am I, STUPID????" I acutall heard a small voice in the amazing silence that ensues a dry fire....yup it said YES!:D:D:D:D

Planter 09-21-2006 03:44 PM

Trevor.. I too am an idiot. Had my Pheonix for a couple of months Max before I dry fired it breaking one limb. If you dry fire your rifle, no big deal and it is justabout impossible to dry fire my compound. Would have to have a major brain fart to do that. The folks in here recommended I send it to Mr. Dan Miller who had me back on track in less than a week with new limbs in hand.I think it is really easy to dry fire an Xbow. Look back to my post entitled " The end of the world " . Tons of info from all these guys on the same topic. >>>>>>>>Whack

tschaef 09-21-2006 06:14 PM

Thanks guys, I guess it'll happen to most of us sooner or later.
I agree with the logic of getting it looked at, problem is duck opens this weekend, its crazy at work, my room-mate T-boned a van on his GXSR1 this aft, and I'm worried I won't have it for the opener on the 1st if I send it to Kitchener. Like I said, I've drawn and fired and the tip didn't come off so I guess I'll risk it.

Hey Planter, I was wondering how you knew my name untill I realized we were team-mates (Go Team Heavy Horned!), are you going to be shooting vertical or horizontal this season this season, or both like me?

tkstae 09-21-2006 06:42 PM

Been reading about guys that have dry fired their Excaliburs for a few years now. Just read about one who dry fired his without any problems, only to have his limb crack 20 or so shots later. Be careful. I'm sure it's just a matter of time till it happens to me. I did leave my thumb up and had the string wack it.WOW did that hurt. Think i would rather dry fire my Exocet than go through that again. Good luck to you this season.

Planter 09-22-2006 04:27 AM

Hey Trevor. I knew your name cause I checked your profile. I did not know we were on the same team. I will be hunting with both. Will be first year with Xbow as I live in a state that does not like them, but after 2 back surgeries and a third on the way I was able to get a permit. Not only have I dry fired the Pheonix, I have also pretty near removed my thumb by sticking it above the rail. I only did that once!!! Go team heavy horned.>>>>>>>>Whack!