Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

decocking

Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: decocking

I always keep a judo or blunt with me just for fun. I also figure that I am paying $3.00 a round for premium shotgun slugs (what a waste) so if I get a couple of hundred shots out of an arrow I am getting a pretty good return and really don't mind tossing an old one out at a pesky crow or such. . At $5.00 each for Easton Bolts what the heck. Thats like 2 weeks allowance for Team Backstraps by Broadhead's captain so it does depend on how much mulah you have. Hey squirrel... It looks like your team is as talkative as mine over on the board. Nice guys, but sure don't seem to be as full of piss and vineger as you kids.I would like to point out that based on my minimum amount of Xbow experienceDRY firing your Pheonix is NOT the best way to decock it.. Geez.>>>>>Whack
Old 09-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I used to manually de-cock my Exocet , until one cold morning the string slipped out of my grip. Tore some skin off my fingers , the bow was not damaged. It scared the heck out of me. I now shoot an old aluminium arrow with a field point into the ground.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting an old arrow is by far the safest, imho, but my quivers only hold 4, and I like to bring a small game tipped one too. That would only leave 2 b-heads. It's also too rocky here for shooting into the ground. I had heard/read about using a rope cocker to uncock, but had to work my nerve up to try it. I'm really glad I did, as it's a piece of cake, if done properly. I use the Excal cocker which has 2 handles like on a lawn mower or chain saw. You just put the hooks on the string, work all the slack to your strong arm side, so the other handle is tight to it's hook, make sure your foot is in the stirrup good, double/triple check every thing, and while pulling on the strong side handle, trip the trigger w/ your other hand. Even my Emax goes down alot easier than it cocks. I don't know if this will work for the rope cockers that have wrist straps vs. handles, and you guys w/ dry fire inhibitors might have a problem. Everything I've seen advises against using a crank type to de-cock.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I know it's not the safest way to do it but I use my rope cocker to uncock my Exocet. Trying to find a spot to unload my arrow that isn't rockis like trying to find a Pope and Young Buck. Not Likey to happen. I do it knowing it isn't the smartest thing to do, just cheaper than trashing arrows Tom
Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

i take my block and keep in the truck and shoot the bolt when i get back to the truck....Honkers
Old 09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HONKERS

i take my block and keep in the truck and shoot the bolt when i get back to the truck....Honkers
Great idea Honkers! Now why didn't I think of that?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk/Honkers: I've done that target in the truck thing, but some of the WMA's I hunt for hogs here I have to go by boat, and it's illegal to carry a cocked xbow back and forth. Try the rope cocker method, it's simple and can be safe if you use caution. I always thought since I can barely just cock them it would try to rip my arm off uncocking, but for some reason they go down easier than going up [cocking].
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

but for some reason they go down easier than going up [cocking].

Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Words as true as that are rarely spoken. It's something we all have to deal with. Geez.. >>>>Whack!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: awshucks

but for some reason they go down easier than going up [cocking].
[/align]