Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need some help

Old 08-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some help

Ahhemmm! I would like to add that the bow that htoler/Henry is talking about can also be used with a crankeroo which is seen on Evil Bay from time to time for real cheap. And they do work well but a bit cumersom but at the same time you can cock a bow in a tree stand with it. I have a really bad case of tendonitis in my elbow and am using the crankeroo and it does a nice job of aligning the string just right. I think smokepole/Mike has been using the standard fiber optics with great success. So its all good! BTW the Vixen is the entry level bow but it has taken many moose and is pretty popular in target and 3D shoots. Sorry for the advertising but I just wanted to make something clear that just wasn't clear enough in my eyes. As I said in my earlier post to Mike anyone of the afore metioned bows will do just fine.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Check out this aite you might find a deal there..
http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/

Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Henry but that link makes 10 points look like they cost a bazillion dollars when they are not all that pricey. This is the same store but a better link.http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/crossbows.html
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

sorry my bad..
Old 08-28-2006, 10:42 PM

Have been a dealer for many years, just had a customer that was on a tight budget, tried to sell him an "unmentionable", that would be an "Excalibur" to the uninformed, we chose a PSE Viper Kit(165lbs camo thumb hole stock),told him that I knew very little about the bow..Came with 3dot red dot scope,4alum 2216 bolts,field points(100g),4 boltcamo quiver.Fit and finish decent,better than I thought it would be. After set up it shot 300fps with 2216 alum, with Gold Tip Lazer11's with 85g tip shot 313fps,have watched him shoot it, it is shooting 1 to 1.5 in. groups at 20yds and and not noisey at all(tied insmall catwhiskers to ends of string) Here is the only problem, designed to be cocked by hand(owners manual) used rope cocker,had to be used around back of pistol grip(rather than back of stock)to avoid hitting safety when cocking bow...Here is the good thing, under 299$ for the kit...
Old 08-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the help guys. Why do I feel like this is going to be a new addiction right after I take my first shot? I am going down to Gander Mountain today to put a few in my hands and see which feels right. I will also go down to Green Top near Richmond on the weekend and check out the Excaliburs. I get the feeling that I had better at least look at them or I might get hammered on here. Just trying to be fair and balanced.

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Virginia Mike

Thanks for all of the help guys. Why do I feel like this is going to be a new addiction right after I take my first shot?
Mike
Because much like the first time you shot a vert bow you'll be trying something exciting and new .

You can find a pretty serviceable crossbow cheap if you shop around some , it doesn't have to be expensive or even brand new . My first xbow was a Barnett Ranger , it was $150 complete with a red dot sight and 4 bolts . Ready to shoot with only minor assembly . The update version of it is the RC-150 , it's a compound model and can be had similarly equipped for about the same price . While you're at it ceck your local pawn shops . Since your state began allowing crossbows recently it's a fair bet that some of the compound shooters who bought one and found out that they aren't super weapons have already pawned theirs trying to get money for new tricks for their compounds . The deals at pawn shops can be eye opening . Good hunting and enjoy your new toy !
Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike: Three words you will probably never read here are "You should of....." We all get/got what we like and although there is some good natured bantering going on from time to time, I personally think we all have alot of respect for each others choices. I drove 5 hrs one way awhile back to meet Randy from 10 pt and try their bows. Got off three shots w/ 10 pts and two w/ my bow. Trip was well worth it, I had a great time. I know that may sound a little dumb, but the alternative was to order one out knowing I'd be returning it, and I didn't want to ding the company. Let us know how you like your new Excal!!! lol
Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!! Dan, you're a funny guy! How about a poem about buying the wrong bow? Hummm?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to get a bow
Which one I didn't know
Listened to my pal
and got me an Excal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.