HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   What makes a good crossbow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/153614-what-makes-good-crossbow.html)

Omegalover 08-26-2006 11:18 AM

What makes a good crossbow?

The hunter.

Ibelieve that you could take the best crossbow ever made, if one were to exist, give it to an idiot and the only thing they would get done is split the limbs on dry fire, shoot themselves, or somesuch foolishness.

I alsobelieve you can take any descent quality brand of crossbow, teach someone, who may have no experience at all,how to properly care for it, set it up, sight it in, and practice, practice, practice and they would be able to harvest deer consistently.

You can all do what you wish, I couldnt stop you anyway, but I will never put down any brand of crossbow, nor anyone for shooting any brand they desire,with one exception. If it is positively proven that it may be dangerous in some way, due to manufacturers lack of quality or something like that. Mostly some of the real cheap foreign imports, I feel they are an accident waiting to happen and dont want to see anyone injured for any reason at all in what should be a very safe sport.

I will speak positively ofevery brand of crossbow that I feel can be used to promote this sport, and do everything I can to inform anyone who goes to the trouble of posting questions to the best of my ability without that reguard.

I am sorry if it ever seemed like I was putting down anyone's opinion and apologize to any who may have taken offense, none was intended. To me it just seems that the brand issue gets out of control.

Now someone please kick me off this soapbox, I need to get out and shoot this week, haven't been able topractice in almost 3weeks.

Dnk 08-26-2006 02:08 PM

RE: What makes a good crossbow?

Two things. First is that no one here should take offence of a shot from another. I have not seen one offencive shot from anyone here except from the source and his friends. Omega, you should see what happens when someone is offencive, it ain't pretty. Everyone and I mean everyone thumps the offender. I say this openly because I mean no harm at all, you are taking what is said the wrong way. If you don't like what some of they guys said tell them and be honest and fair. Just becasue someone says a name too much for you it doesn't mean anything except they say something too much for you. If you think differently then post your thoughts. If your feelings and thoughts are valid your post will go well. Everyone here has a heart of gold, we are all great people so don't take offence to this or what ever gets said. You are also allowed to put me on ignore or PM me to give me heck.
Second, are you bored yet??? LOL. If someone tells me they like lets say back girls over and over I am not going to say diddly. What do I care that they do or like and what am I going to say that isn't going to sound stupid? I remember once in the Excal forum I posted that I wanted an anticrossbower banned, gawd, I got such a kicking in the butt by everyone. The point of the butt kicking was that if I didn't like it I should ignore him and he would have gone away or argue with him. I was told to grow up and grow a pair of balls.
Here's the epilogue, don't go away Omega, share your knowledge, experience and humor as well as be tollerant. But most of all do not be afraid to say something that someone may not know and tell us what you like as much as you want.:)

smokepolehall 08-26-2006 03:09 PM

I beg to differ omeagalover, lots of people never kill a deer and they use rifles and they practice. It takes more than just good equipment to harvest deer. We don't put down Bows, we do promote what we use and believe in. We do try and tell the scoop on high cost Bows and those that are as good or better for same or less price. There have been many who come on here and ask about Hortons yes (Dortons) hehehe. Are they good yes most of their models are. Same with 10 pts. and Barnetts and Parkers. As you knowed i am a staunch Excal man, i have shot most of the others and made my choice. That doesn't mean i went out and bought the fastest or most lb. draw weight. Phoenix is what i shoot. If i had money to spend i might get a Paradox or nice 10 pt. or Horton Legend II 175. Yup i have been shooting and have to start with B'heads this week, only 28 days to go. I love it!:D

Hotburn76 08-26-2006 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Omegalover

Now someone please kick me off this soapbox

Ok here goes>>>BAM BAMBAM!!! Are ya off yet?!! As I say to my wife when she will notlet something go, DRY IT UP! I spent one thread brown nosing when you got upset about the excal posting, then you go and provoke another one!!

Sorry guys if I sound rude, I just got the bad side of the couch a minute ago! Go ahead a spank me if this should not be posted.

mitchmtm1 08-26-2006 04:50 PM

96% of killing a deer is location, scent control, movement control, staying quiet, and shot placement. Weapon of choice (especially among weapon groups) is a very small factor in hunting. Proficency with the weapon is the key. ANY crossbow over 100lb will kill a deer. A good hunter with fair equipment will kill many more deer than a fair hunter with the newest most expensive equipment. Everyone (myself included) should have the goal of becoming a better hunter....but that doesn't mean that if you can afford it you shouldn't improve gear if you want.

As far as choice of xbows...it is just that your own choice. I would be willing to hunt with any bow that wasn't good enough for anyone of you (I will even pay postage);)

Mitch

Rebel Hog 08-26-2006 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1

96% of killing a deer is location, scent control, movement control, staying quiet, and shot placement. Weapon of choice (especially among weapon groups) is a very small factor in hunting. Proficency with the weapon is the key. ANY crossbow over 100lb will kill a deer. A good hunter with fair equipment will kill many more deer than a fair hunter with the newest most expensive equipment. Everyone (myself included) should have the goal of becoming a better hunter....but that doesn't mean that if you can afford it you shouldn't improve gear if you want.

As far as choice of xbows...it is just that your own choice. I would be willing to hunt with any bow that wasn't good enough for anyone of you (I will even pay postage);)

Mitch
10-4 good buddy!:)

BuddyBo 08-26-2006 06:54 PM

Well I think omegalover is just trying to fit in and state his opinion. It's ok by me. Everyone here is different and we accept people for who they are and what they stand for. It's them, being them. It took months for me to feel accepted here cause I have a different sense of humor sometimes and personally I couldn't care less for the techical stuff. I sift through the usable stuff for me and let the other slide off the noggin. I'm not too smart, am old and crotchety, and like to make fun of all the serious stuff once in a while. I can't wait until I'm old enough to be in a county rest home so I can sit out on the front porch and laught uncontrollaby at the folks coming to visit people there. That will be fun and what could they do to me for doing that? Lock me up?LOL.
Dnk, your post was wisdom at it's finest and I agree 100%. One thing though, Are YOU black? We've never met. LOL
BBO

Rebel Hog 08-26-2006 07:09 PM

Delete! Double Post

Rebel Hog 08-26-2006 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

I can't wait until I'm old enough to be in a county rest home so I can sit out on the front porch and laught uncontrollaby at the folks coming to visit people there.
BBO

No nursinghome for me. We are checking into the Holiday Inn! Withthe average cost for a nursing home care costing $188.00 per day, there isa better way when we get old & feeble. Wehave already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn. For a combined long term stay discount and senior discount, it's $49.23 per night. That leaves $138.77 a day for: breakfast, lunch and dinner in any restaurant wewant, or room service.

Laundry, gratuities and special TV movies. Plus,they provide a swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge and washer-dryer, etc. Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo andsoap. $5worth of tips a day will have the entire staff scrambling to help you. They treat you like a customer, not a patient. Thereis a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free. The handicap bus willalso pick you up (if you fake a decent limp).

Tomeet other nice people, call a church bus onSundays. Fora change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there. While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up. Ittakes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today. And you are not stuck in one place forever, you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city. Want to see Hawaii?They have a Holiday Inn there too.

TVbroken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem.They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience. TheInn has a night securityperson and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are OK. Ifnot, they will call the undertaker or an ambulance.

If you fall and breaka hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you toa suite for the rest of your life. Andno worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you,and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation. Thegrand kids can use the pool. Whatmore can you ask for? So,when we reach that golden age, we'llface it with a grin. Because I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn.:)

BuddyBo 08-26-2006 07:19 PM

Have mercy Reb, I was just KIDDING!!! LOL
I really retiring to my box stand with meals on four wheelers.
BBO