HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   What to look for in a new crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/152148-what-look-new-crossbows.html)

ryanaller 08-16-2006 01:36 PM

What to look for in a new crossbows

When purchasing a new crossbow what features do you look for?

fps, accuracy, innovation, etc.

awshucks 08-16-2006 01:53 PM

RE: What to look for in a new crossbows

I look to see if it's got the name "EXCALIBUR". FOR ME, they are the best out there, but in all fairness to the other brands, I'm not the average user.
I've got a dinged shoulder, so that light weight of the recurve design is worth the extra width. I also live in the sticks and like to do my own maintaining. I knew of their reputed accuracy prior to getting my first, the E'max. I, like many others felt the need for speed. After I got wised up, I got a Phoenix and that's my bow of choice. I also think they have the best outta the box triggers. This is just my opinion and not meant to knock anyone else's choice, so you wheel guys, don't be offended.

Rebel Hog 08-16-2006 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I look to see if it's got the name "EXCALIBUR".

[/align]

ryanaller 08-16-2006 04:04 PM

RebelHog - Does that mean you prefer a different type of crossbow, and if so why?

Dnk 08-16-2006 04:06 PM

Reliability, repeatability, enough power, a great trigger and simplicity.

rick64 08-16-2006 04:37 PM

I would have to agree on the Excalibur. The only disadvantage that I could find is the width and that's easy to compensate for when you set up your stand.[/align]

smokepolehall 08-16-2006 05:03 PM

I ain't never liked training wheels! I have an Excal Phoenix, my next Bow will be Excal Vixen! I have an 1899 96 Swedish Mauser #'s matching and #1 bore that has someone else's name on it fer trade fer a deerhide brown Vixen! :D Ya have heard of bringing home the bacon, well Excal's smoke deer![:o][:-]:D

htoler 08-16-2006 05:53 PM

a proven product, I dont want to be the first on the block to have the lateset greatest(claimed) crossbow out there,
for me I have both a TenPoint ProElite and an Excalibur Exocet, both are great crossbows, I prefer shooting the ProElite, I think it is a smother , quieter , Shooter, that just my thoughts,
what to look for varies from person to person, one may look for simplicity, another may look for what looks good , another may look for features.. another may look for good customer service,
mythought is reserch them, the different brands , go to the different forums and ask questions about the onesyou are interested in, find a proshop that carries the ones your interested in and shoulder them, and handle them to see how they feel, and then shoot them, the one that is right for you will let you know..

Hotburn76 08-16-2006 07:05 PM

As htoler said I look for a proven track record as one of the first things. Ohio is going on thirty years of crossbow hunting and Horton has been their to help lead the way as one of the main players in the game. The second thing I need is costomer service!! And I do not mean over the phone and ship it to us sir, if your bow has so few dealers that you have to talk over the phone and mail products to them then that is poor service in my book! I have four horton dealers within twenty min drive of my house and two are in my town. All have anything like strings, arrows, spare wheels[&:]and everything for my bow. If my bow has a problem I amback in bisness that day or the next! Another thing is proven quality! My old hunter mag lasted me twelve years with only one string change, and when I made it my loaner bow I gave it a cable upgrade, which was done at the local shop same day, no mail stuff. That bow still shoots great and my dad now uses it. My new super max is a excellent choice, it has the new light trigers on them and is an awsome bow to shoot! my old horton which is now fourteen and the new one which is having its second year are both nock busters and have always been! Also horton has a wide range of bows for the biggener low budget all the way up to the top of the line. Some CB makes only have a few bank busters and not much for the little or new guy. So when I say proven track record, my bow of choice the horton has it!!

squirrelkilla23 08-16-2006 08:35 PM

I first bought a horton legend 150, I loved the design and a friend had one. I shot the crap out of it and i knew they were dependable reliable tough bows from experiance. so i bought a horton Hunter 175 i perfer horton just because it's what i shoot and i plan to get an excalibur phoenix just to see what the guys rave about on here. i especially love horton because everyone here fights with me about it:D

Rebel Hog 08-16-2006 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

RebelHog - Does that mean you prefer a different type of crossbow, and if so why?
Hey I love Canadian Bacon andCanadian CrossBows!
Barnett is only 9 miles from me and Fred Bear is 80 miles fromme, butI would drive to Canada from central FLfor an Excal!:)Which crossbow do you think I prefer?:D

Edit: Oh and Ann Murray!

BuddyBo 08-16-2006 08:47 PM

Wellllllll, I was at the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show this past weekend, all weekend, and I met and talked to at great length, the man that owns Excalibur Crossbows. It was educational to say the least, talking to him. I am sorry however, but I do not remember his name. I do however remember the Ten Point representive that was there and I met him in person and his name is our own Randy. He looks just like he sounds on our forum guys. Friendly, nice looking, and very generous. I am proud to be an owner of aTen Point Crossbow, not because I know the nicest rep. in the business, but because Ten Point is right for me. I bought mine before I knew it was going to grow to my hands like it has and shoot so fine. If you other guys lust over your crossbows like I do mine, then your poor wives are getting cheatedon come hunting season. Gosh, I love hunting!
BBO

Rebel Hog 08-16-2006 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Buddy

Wellllllll, I was at the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show this past weekend, all weekend, and I met and talked to at great length, the man that owns Excalibur Crossbows. It was educational to say the least, talking to him. I am sorry however, but I do not remember his name. I do however remember the Ten Point representative that was there and I met him in person and his name is our own Randy. He looks just like he sounds on our forum guys. Friendly, nice looking, and very generous. I am proud to be an owner of aTen Point Crossbow, not because I know the nicest rep. in the business, but because Ten Point is right for me. I bought mine before I knew it was going to grow to my hands like it has and shoot so fine. If you other guys lust over your crossbows like I do mine, then your poor wives are getting cheatedon come hunting season. Gosh, I love hunting!
BBO
HeyBuddy, my wife is from Brevard, NC next to the Pisgah National Forest.We usealy go twice a year.We also goto Asheville, Canton, Waynesville, Maggie Valley and Cherokee. She has aunts and cousins in all these.

ryanaller 08-16-2006 08:55 PM

BuddyBo - The owner of Excalibur is Bill Troubridge, and I have spoken with him several times. He has been more than helpful with my questions, and for being the President he really takes the time to listen and take care.

I have also spoke with Horton and they have a tremendous team as well, and have also been really good about communicating with me.

BuddyBo 08-16-2006 09:16 PM

Yeah, Rebel, I know Brevard. My daughter went to college there, her first two years. Ain't those NC mountain towns you mentioned great. I've been in all of them and the air is sweet up there.
BBO

Rebel Hog 08-16-2006 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Buddy

Yeah, Rebel, I know Brevard. My daughter went to college there, her first two years. Ain't those NC mountain towns you mentioned great. I've been in all of them and the air is sweet up there.
BBO
The best!:D:D:D:DThe only thing I don't like is Ramps!:D

Last October my wife, I and family went to eat at the Pisgah Inn on top of Mt. Pisgah!

awshucks 08-17-2006 01:06 PM

As ya'll know, I'm an Excal fan. I've made some observations I'm gonna share. Actually, when you get an Excal, you are getting two bows for the price of one. The breakdown is as follows: E'max/E'cet, E/cet/Phoenix, Phoenix/Vixen. With stock 350 gr arrows and fff string the Emax is at 350/355 fps. Go to 431 gr arrows you are gonna be near 330 fps, same as Ecet. Take the Phoenix outta the box, 350 gr arrows, fff string, 300/305 fps. Put an Excel on it and go to 431 gr. it's at 290 fps. Take the E'max, put Excel and 431 gr arrows, 308 fps, near Phoenix performance w/ tad better k.e. I know this won't affect you wheel guys, and btw Hotburn, that post about Hortons and 30 yrs of supporting the xbow was excellant! Your experiences w/ yours is probably not that remarkable, more the norm I'd think. I know they have an out standing service dept, I've used it. Hope this info helps you Excal guys, present or future.

99 jeep 08-19-2006 08:29 AM

For once and all, all crossbows are good as long as they shoot fast and are acurate. Theres nothing worse than shooting an animal and its the wrong shot. There. As for choice of crossbows im barnett for ,price,quality,accurate,warrenty. Ive got friends that shoot ecal hort 10 point, who cares kill the animal.

Planter 08-19-2006 09:10 AM

Hotburn that was a great post for your bow of choice. It sounded like an infomercial. Whats your sleep number?I think the question should be is there a bow we would not buy? I get the impression that all the major players make a good bow and the choice is akin to the old Chevy/Ford or Remington/Browning question. Price sure comes into play as some cost more than a mortgage payment but probably don't kill any cleaner than a cheaper bow. It's not what you hit them with, it's how you hit them. You should howeverbuy an Excalibur just cause those Canadians produce so little and we should help those in our suburbs to the north.I have only had to replace the limbson my Pheonix oncein the 10 weeks I have had it. I think that might have been due to loser error.I am serious when I ask if there is a bad bow out there? >>>>>>>>Whack!

awshucks 08-19-2006 10:33 AM

Planter: there are a few bad ones out there, the old Whammo is fairly unsafe, and the current Chinese offerings are pretty suspect, although I'm sure some one has got one and will be checking in shortly. lol

99Jeep: please don't take the brand thing seriously, we joke and kid about them alot. My first real xbow was a Barnett Commando, a particularly nasty lil booger that was a recurve that you cocked by breaking it open like a dbl bbl shotgun. The dang cocking claws ate strings like a weed eater, but it would Robin Hood at 25 yds all day long, and I've read of pass thru's on deer w/ one. glad to see you here, and wanted to lewt you know we really do play nice!!