HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   bowhunter wants to know about xbow hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/151236-bowhunter-wants-know-about-xbow-hunters.html)

Trembow 08-10-2006 08:38 AM

bowhunter wants to know about xbow hunters

Hi, my name is Chris, and I am a recovering anti-xbow-holic. I am here with an olive branch and a modicum of shame.

After reading a sticky post in the bowhunting section: "The enemy within" and the suggested Dan Hendricks (sp?) article I started thinking... What do I have against people who want to hunt with a crossbow...

.. and then it hit me: Who do I know who has one or has used one?

Truth is: I don't know any, except a few psycho jerks who aren't even hunters, just crazy kids or psychos who think it's cool to use something they dreamed about when they played (or play) Dungeons and Dragons. So this is probably where MY vision and perhaps that of others has come from. I need a new image.

I've read arguments for and against hunting with crossbows, but all of them use far too much overhashed rhetoric and generalizations to either sway my opinion or make me more confident in it.

What I would really like to know from you,a crossbow hunter , is what your motivation is to use that form of "weapon". How did you get started, that sort of thing.

Dnk 08-10-2006 09:15 AM

RE: bowhunter wants to know about xbow hunters

I think your question is against the rules of this forum and so I for one will not respond to it. You do however have a PM.
I suggest that no other archer here repsond to this by posting for fear that this gets out of hand and we eventually look bad for debating as we should not do.
BTW it is tempting to answer your post because you seem in ernest, that is why I tried to answer your question with a PM rather than not at all.
Please do not take this as an insult. It clearly states in the rules that this is not a place to debate about crossbows. I have a great amount of respect for our mods as well as the forum itself so I will respect the rules.

awshucks 08-10-2006 09:32 AM

Dnk: There's a thread on this in the bow forum, and I answered this gentlemans question there, before I came here and read your post. If we don't talk to guys that are genuinely interested in our choice here, where else should we do it? I think Trembo is sincere and we should provide info.
I'm in agreement that these discussions generally end up going south, but feel we all know the rules and our mods take good care of us. I'd also like to make the point that there are far more folks reading these posts than there are posting, just my 2 cents, but feel this could be a gate for fence sitters to go back and forth some, get a feel for what we all like so well.

Trembow 08-10-2006 10:05 AM

I understand DNK's point that this forum is not to be used for debate...but I'm not asking for debate.

Let me rephrase my question without explanation but perhaps with the understanding that it is being asked by a compound shooter, and see if it is more palatable:

How did you get started hunting with a crossbow?
What do you like about it and why is it your choice for bowhunting?

Dnk 08-10-2006 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Trembow

I understand DNK's point that this forum is not to be used for debate...but I'm not asking for debate.

Let me rephrase my question without explanation but perhaps with the understanding that it is being asked by a compound shooter, and see if it is more palatable:

How did you get started hunting with a crossbow?
What do you like about it and why is it your choice for bowhunting?
Well thats different and much less ahhhh bait like LOL. Sorry for being carefull, we have been baited many too times.
Welcome to this forum Trembow:)

Dnk 08-10-2006 10:55 AM

To be honest I started because I just like shooting anything, honest! I later saw that I could hunt later in the year with bulky clothing rather than stop hunting when I didn't feel comfortable wearing bulky clothing shooting a compound.
I really like shooting a crossbow. Its just plain fun and addictive! Hunting with a compound and a crossbow is no different. I hunt with both and see that the only true advantage is the amount of practice needed for the crossbow is less but not an awfull lot less.
Trembow, you ot to hook up with some one here to shoot one! I am from Ontario Canada and would love to let you shoot my stuff.
Don

smokepolehall 08-10-2006 11:06 AM

Fer me we have to go back to 1958, thats when i started with a longbow. Few years later in 61 i picked up a recurve and a friend showed me a home made xbow. I shot it several times and i knew it had a range of about 15 yds. I went on getting different recurves over the years until 1978 and i got a Jennings Compound. I have owned andhave had half a dz. since and still have a Bear Whitetail Elite that i am selling or trading. So last year i got barred from DSH site for xbow debate in which i was pro xbow. I didn't have preconceived notions on xbows and i didn't even own one. Now to up date, i had back surgery last year in Sept. and still 2 herniated disc's and lossed 70 % of use in left arm. I took my last deer a Doe in Nov. with my compound. I hurt badly every time i shot it from pulling it and holding it in left hand. So i shot several xbows and the one i liked was an Excal Phoenix, got it one week before Bow season ended. I did take it but didn't get any shots. I just love hunting with my xbow just as i did all my Bows.I had an open mind back from that homemade xbow, i knew they were short range and just a little different that the others.:D

BOB7255KHZ 08-10-2006 11:39 AM

Hello my friend TREMBOW....glad to meet u and thank u for posting the question as I'm sure u and alot of others ask " why a crossbow".

I "ve been shooting stick bows, compounds for quite a many moon ( I'm 57 years old today.....happy birthday to me)......and to tell u the truth , I loved my compounds....as all of us, we spent lots of hours clenching our bows in hand for hunting and for practice....like an " old pal" so to speak.
As u and thousands more question the crossbow , well I felt exactly the same way......the crossbow thought in my mind was it 's just like a " rifle" duh , simple. I didn't want one, didn't need one.....was stupid if u asked me to even have one. I mean what was the logic here.....huh?
Last summer I started shooting my compound getting " tuned up " for hunting season..... the season was far off, but I was getting ready.
But damn....my side and back was starting to ache....HURT BAD.
SOOOOO went to chiropractor 6 times....no better.....he said " man , what ever ur doing , u better stop it . Went to my family DOC.....sent me for XRAYS.
Well found some medical problems that I never knew I had....so now what.
Well it was either I cripple myself with my compound.....or u guessed it, get a crossbow , of all things.....geeesh.
Started readiong about them and their history.....mighty interesting stuff.
Well , I got a xbow, against all odds of my thinking.....and u know what.....THIS AINT BAD !!!!!!!
Matter of fact, it's fun to shoot....really down right fun....never thought I'd be saying this , but I'm having a blast with it.....just like a lil kid. HAA HAA.
I shoot a bolt.....I smile.....I shoot another bolt....I smile. I never in my wildest dreams would I ever think I would say this about a weapon....but out right fun. Yeppp, I have shot guns , hand guns, rifles etc ....but the fun from this gizmo crossbow is the ticket.
I'll be tote'n this xbow in the woods next few months.....IF U SEE SOME FELLA WALKING THROUGH THE WOODS SMILE'N.....IT BE ME.
BOB

I tell ya , u gotta try it gang.....u owe it to urself

Dnk 08-10-2006 11:51 AM

Happy birthday you crossbow arrow shooting addict! LOL. It is addictive I must say. Did you get your paddy wacks yet? Hehehe. If not maybe we can take up a donation for someone to do it!

BOB7255KHZ 08-10-2006 11:55 AM

PADDY WACKS for my birthday LOL......my wife will be coming home from work soon to give me paddy wacks.....I keep telling her...HIT HARDER , HIT HARDER.............LMAO
BOB