Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow stone thrower.. >

Crossbow stone thrower..

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow stone thrower..

Old 07-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crossbow stone thrower..

My mom just gave me an crossbow from the 16th century. Need to do more more research, but the antique dealer said it was a stone thrower and not a bolt shooter. Anyone ever heard of such a thing. Gonna try and take some pics to post. Don't think I will beable to find a stringunless someone has a cat to spare......Guess this will be a wall hanger.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow stone thrower..

Planter: That Italian site I posted awhile back, is run by a guy named Matthias, who posts often on Excals forum. Once you get some pics I think he could help ya figure out what ya got. There isalso a couple of replica makers sites on Excal somewhere, but if it is that old it's probably way to valuable to shoot. Our own Arthur P. is making an old style too. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Medieval crossbows shot stones and lead shot about as often as bolts , combat is a vicious business and having the ability to launch multiple projectile types is a huge advantage in battle . Modern crossbows are set up exclusively to shoot bolts since they're used for hunting only and have to conform to state regulations .
Old 07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it's not aTen Pointcause it has no silly wheels and I know it's not an Excalibur because the bow is only about 22 inches acrosswith a length of about 28 inches. It is supposed to be a stone thrower from the 16th century. It's gotonly a mark that looks like an asterix (*).The trigger seems like it would be very functional. Anyone got a guess of what this might be? >>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack

Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

A PING PONG SERVER!
BBO
Old 07-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Planter,,,Read somewhere on another forum they were used for birds and waterfowl, using multiple "rocks" or "stones" or some type of shot...They had a doubled string type of arrangement with a type of pouch in the center for holding the shot....Interesting weapon for hanging on the wall....