Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Summer Doldrums... >

Summer Doldrums...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Summer Doldrums...

Old 06-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summer Doldrums...

Its always sad when the summer doldrums set in. Nothing to hunt and the woods are thicker than the skeeters, black flies, deerticksandwoodticks. The no see-Ums are flying into my eyes and ears and bitingon their way thru. Sure I canstriper fish ( it has been good ) and I guess I could mow and paint ect. But its just not hunting.. Gonna go to the rifle range today and I will own all of it. Someone do me a favor and go out and kill sumpin. Legal of course. Rock on kids and straight arrows to you.Or is that bolts?? Just kidding..
Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summer Doldrums...

I feel your pain ! Rich
Old 06-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

heck, i've already taken out 40 groundhogs!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sqkilla: Have you tried eating any of them? All kidding aside, the back straps are like pork loin.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Sqkilla: Have you tried eating any of them? All kidding aside, the back straps are like pork loin.
Hey groundhog stew is real good. They are clean animals and they don't eat rotten meat, just grass and roots.

Well, we can't hunt yet but I've been busy tending my corn crop in front of my box stand. I planted pole beans after the corn got waist high and now the beans are climbing the corn stalks nicely. I've weed eated my corn feeder area and around my stand tower and sprayed roundup there also. Been running ants and wasps and spiders outta my box stand so as not toget wigged out when I hunt in it. We can't hunt, but we can sure stay busy getting our stuff fluffed for the hunt. LOL. Whathas been going on with you guys at your stands? My game camera is getting some decent bucksgrowing their velvet but old grand daddy isn't showing himself yet. He's probably waiting for them beans to come in.
Happy Father's Days guys. Hope you get a lot of hunting stuff for presents. Ties make great deer tails on decoys you know. LOL.
BBO
Old 06-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cut half my clover patch a week ago and will cut the rest today also look fer couple lost arrows. Have to go check the mineral and salt lick. The last week in aug. i need to till up another clover plot and one fer kale and purpletop turnips. I will stay busy with lots of honey do's!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the clover cut, went and checked the mineral/salt lick and found the 2 arrows! I shot 10 times this evening after rain had passed thru. Picked out a good tree fer ladder stand, will be a good one when the food plots get putin early sept.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've been killing grackles, 10 or so by now with my compound at up to 30 yards. They polute the dog drinking water and crap on the cars at my buddy's dog kennel. They gotta go. I'd shoot them with the xbow but the bolts are way too hard to find after they skid into the grass.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk: I got one [grackle] in the '70's w/ air rifle that was banded 7 years earlier. There is a discussion going on about sparrows string jumping on a thread on AT, so I guess these doldrums are universal, LOL I'm gonna go run a half a hundred thru the Phoenix for the first time in over a month, bet this ain't gonna be pretty LOL
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don i hope you get 7000 of those pests, noise and poop is what they do. I got my 33 year old 4.5 hp outboard running yesterday evening. So we are ready to go fishing!