HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Deer feeding? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/143279-deer-feeding.html)

Hotburn76 05-23-2006 07:48 PM

Deer feeding?

Was just curious about something I don't think has been talked about here yet and that is deer baiting. Whats everyones opinion on this. I myself have tried it here in northwest ohio and its kinda useless here because Ohio is already a full court buffet so it is not as effective with all the farm crops and all. Thanks!

htoler 05-24-2006 12:17 AM

RE: Deer feeding?

thats not an option here in Illinois ,, it is Illeagal here,, knew some guys in Texas that did it with great success..

smokepolehall 05-24-2006 06:32 AM

I am opposed to feeders, in any form! To me that is baiting and i am against that. Now a salt/minerial lick isn't baiting nor are the use of actual food plots! I have a 50' x50' clover patch by the trailer and it feeds them year around. I don't hunt over it, the other food plots down in the woods i set up on trails coming and going from them.:)Then i wack stack and pack them![8D]

Arthur P 05-24-2006 10:22 AM

Ilive in the heart ofFeeder-landandhunting over feeders isa long standing tradition here.

Smokepole is on the money about tactics. If you just want meat and don't care about gender, age or size, then hang a stand within 30 yards of the feeder/mineral block/small food plot (actually, I consider any food plotsmaller than1/4 acre asbait, same as a feeder. JMHO)and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. If you want to shoot a big deer though, do not hunt over the feeder/plot/mineral blockitself. USUALLY, what comes in is does, fawns, yearlings and dink bucks. The big boys will mostly hang back in the thick stuff waiting for dark.

Even though there are exceptions to every rule, odds are more on your side if youhunt the trails coming to the feeders if you want to get the big ones.

BuddyBo 05-24-2006 05:26 PM

Baiting in NC is legal and I've been doing it for a while. I use corn feeders and apples. I set up a trail camera as well on the feeders. I do allthis for one reasononly. TO SEE MORE DEER! Isn't that what we all want? Duh! I only shoot shooter bucks and only harvest a doe when a buddy of mine wants some meat. It's nice to spend a day in my stand and watch all the does and fawns and small bucks wonder in and out of my area. I don't care much if I see a shooter or not, just being out in nature and watching it's wonderful wildlife is pleasure enough for me. Sooo, yes I bait. I can't help it. It's a diease for me I guess.
BBO

Dnk 05-24-2006 07:22 PM

Baiting in Ontario is legal and quite common. We have too many deer. I really do not believe a hog will ever get into the bait but meat on four legs will. I don't bait myself but my buddies do. You gotta understand deer feeding habits to bait effectively. Deer nibble on everything except maybe browse. Use what they don't have much of and they will come (ie;use apples in corn fields or corn in an apple orchard). They don't eat a long time at anything so its still a right time, right place thing just like waiting at a trail. I think they visit longer at salt and mineral licks than they do at bait. But then I'm not a deer so what do I know? But salt and mineral licks don't seem to have as strong attraction like smelly bait (apples and corn) so they seem to visit them out of habit as opposed to be drawn in by their noses. Like I said, what do I know. Just spouting off!! LOL

Spiffy 05-24-2006 07:28 PM

I bait too. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. I wouldn't bother if I was gaurenteed to see a bunch of deer almost every time I'm out. Baiting helps keep them around.

[/align]

Hotburn76 05-24-2006 09:03 PM

Thanks for the replys guys, and like Arthur P said I believe it has alot to do with the area your in to help with the thinking/culture on this. I put out my stump feeder today when I went and pulled my Cuddeback card. My main goal in this though is just trying to supply food for the racks. I have been told by the DNR and others that the main helper in rack development next to genetics is food/nutrition. The more food they have to help recover from the winter the more the can put into the racks! So I hope they eat up to help out for some bigger racks! And if they are still hitting it in the fall then as others have said wack and stack!

Rebel Hog 05-25-2006 02:51 PM

Baiting or Luring: Taking game on lands or waters upon which corn, wheat, grain, food or other substances have been deposited by means other than normal agricultural harvesting or planting is prohibited, except as noted below. In addition to normal agricultural harvesting or planting, mourning and whitewinged doves may be hunted over agricultural crops that have been harvested or manipulated and over natural vegetation that has been manipulated.

• Resident game, other than turkeys, may be hunted in proximity of yearround game-feeding stations, provided that feeding stations were established at least six months prior to taking resident game.
• Turkeys may not be taken by baiting or over baited areas; or when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station.

Hotburn76 05-25-2006 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Baiting or Luring: Taking game on lands or waters upon which corn, wheat, grain, food or other substances have been deposited by means other than normal agricultural harvesting or planting is prohibited, except as noted below. In addition to normal agricultural harvesting or planting, mourning and whitewinged doves may be hunted over agricultural crops that have been harvested or manipulated and over natural vegetation that has been manipulated.

• Resident game, other than turkeys, may be hunted in proximity of yearround game-feeding stations, provided that feeding stations were established at least six months prior to taking resident game.
• Turkeys may not be taken by baiting or over baited areas; or when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station.
Which state are these from reb?