Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Gobbler #2

Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gobbler #2

I got a better bird this morning with the crossbow. This one under 20 yds. He was coming in to fight (I guess) with another bird to my left who had the hens with him. He got closer sooner and you know what they say about a bird in the hand. 19lb 3oz with 10.5 beard, 1" spurs. The Rocket Slammerhead with a brass washer for added weight did the job. He took off and flew, got about 75 yds and suddenly lost power. Hit with a big thud. 1 more tag to fill before the season ends Sat.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gobbler #2

Another pic.........

Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 PM

Now thats just cool! Congrats on your kill and keep the pics comin! Nice bird.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 PM

great job , congrats. on a nice bird.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent Job! Conrat's
Old 05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congrats on the nice Gobbler, with the crossbow now thats grand!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

My buddy got a chance to go today and asks can I use your blind? Figuring the other bird won't show after this morning I say sure. Well he (? they all look alike ! LOL) shows with 2 hens just like this morning. He misses at 35 yds with the shotgun ! LOL. And when I cleaned the bird I got today I found a #6 in him from last year. Lots of scared birds there. If this is in fact the same bird from this morning I know his roost area and route he takes. He passes through another small field to get to this more protected field. I think I'll try him there next time. Then I can give any #6's I might find back to my friend if he even got him. I think 35 was really 50 or more. The first time you hunt through the mesh can throw your yardage guessing off a bit. I have to stay home tomorrow and wait on the big brown truck. There's a Tenpoint in it with my name on it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go!! Nice bird! Wish I'd a got one but have to wait til next year now. Are you shooting thru the screens on your blind? Which 10 pt ya getting? Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'm shooting through the screens. I'm using Rocket Slammerheads with double rubber bands. I took a piece of the replacement mesh and did a lot of practice shots with different broadheads out to 40 yds to see where they hit. The rockets did the best. I tried Snypers, Slick Tricks, Steelheads and Slammerheads. The Rockets had a more or less consistent group. Some additional drop at 40 over non-screen shots. I suggest anyone shootin through a blind screen get a replacement screen and test your broadheads before heading out. Saves wear and tear on your blind and if you're using a DB blind the screens are $10 from Cabelas. Same screen as the blind so no surprises on the shot. I can screw on any 100 gr head and they all shoot almost the same. But when you add in the screen the problems begin. I haven't got into trying different shafts and lengths to try to tune yet but that's next. Since you can't do a lot of tuning on the rail the leaves shafts, fletch and FOC are all you can alter. I think there has to be a sweet spot or that right broadhead/bolt combo to get good flight.

I have a Stealth X2 used from fleabay on the way. Too many Tenpoints - too little time !
Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Good going! Take more of those ugly suckers!

Quick Reply: Gobbler #2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.