Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing! >

jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing!

i just noticed, the freakin thing is gettin shot alot! i'm out alot! i need to buy more arrows, need to do somthing about the bottom of the string too. its wearing alot where the gold wrap meets the rail. plus i've had to take off the quiver mounts and tighten the foot holster twice! jeezers! how do i stop the string from gettin crapped up?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing!

The Squirrel: Get an Excalibur!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Squirrel, you have to lube the string serving some do it every time they put it away, as well some rails have to be lubes. Other than that the strings either have to be replaced or reserved every so often. Bohning makes a good serving kit but you should stretch the string while being reserved. The bohning kit comes with a dvd expaining but you may be able to get instructions online. do not shoot the bow if the serving has worn to a point that the string will touch anything. Get some blue loctite (automotive supply) for any bolts or screw threads that back off.
Don
Old 03-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

The Squirrel: Get an Excalibur!!!
All kidding aside, really not ribbin here at all. Excaliburs do not have these problems. The serving wears but its really easy to reserve them or replace strings. I would call Horton or get online to see how to reserve. The bohning serving kit is cheap.
don
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dnk for helping our buddy, another trick is to leave the ends of re-served sting long enough that you can re-tighten them up. I don't know what's involved w/ changing a string on a compound xbow, but in all seriousness, on an Excal it's a matter of a few minutes. They have a deal that slips over the limb ends, which you then "cock" the bow, which leaves your string slack enough to take off and replace. I am thinking maybe you could reserve your string w/ it still on the bow, there would sure be enough tension to make your string "thin", which enables you to get your serving tighter than doing it to a relaxed string, which tends to be "fatter". Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excalibur! Hey friend you have been waxing yer string after each practice session? Thats a priority #1. Yes you can reserve yer string on the bow, if you haven't started to break any string fibers![]
Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, Excalibur makes the best string wax!!!LOL
Old 03-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Thanks Dnk for helping our buddy, another trick is to leave the ends of re-served sting long enough that you can re-tighten them up. I don't know what's involved w/ changing a string on a compound xbow, but in all seriousness, on an Excal it's a matter of a few minutes. They have a deal that slips over the limb ends, which you then "cock" the bow, which leaves your string slack enough to take off and replace. I am thinking maybe you could reserve your string w/ it still on the bow, there would sure be enough tension to make your string "thin", which enables you to get your serving tighter than doing it to a relaxed string, which tends to be "fatter". Hope this helps.
Yuppers, just remove two bolts and start reseving. But then again its soooooooo easy to replace your string why bother? My flemish string is good for a year of hunting a target punching. Worse case senario ten minutes per year to change two strings where ever you want with no tools.Our Excaliburs are real easy on the serving as long as you wax it ever session.
Yes I agree it is the best wax. Just wax it AFTER your shooting session.
Don
Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 PM

If your in your back yard spankin that target everyday then you must keep up on your string wax and rail lube. I only shoot a little just before season and then ocassionally during season andI only wax and lube before the season andI have no problems. My old horton was 13 years old and only replaced the string once and that was because my friends were harping on me about it not because it looked worn out. Alot of shooting on a dry rail will ruin them in a hurry, stop shooting and get the wax and lube.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

okey! i'll do that!

Quick Reply: jeez i've been shootin the crap out of this thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.